+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Camping Novice Question (Food)

We're going camping for a week over the summer holidays for the first time and there's six of us, dh, myself and four kids.

For those who camp regularly, what do you do for food? What food do you take?

We will have a 74 litre fridge with us, plus a 68 litre and 55 litre 'Ice box' type esky which we will use as freezers.

It's going to be hot and humid, we are foodies, not fussy and will have two high output burners with a grill on top.

Please hit me with your food suggestions for breakfast. lunch and dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm packets of frozen veg might make nice 'ice packs' in the freezer boxes. Could turn into stir fry etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mkj For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping Novice Question (Food)

Wraps are a good idea as they keep fresh (rather than bread) - depends if u will be remote or near shops...We usually cryovac our meat to keep it fresh. I find salad stuff a pain to take as the fridge temps can be up and down and lettuce ends up soggy or frozen after a couple of days! So I take a small bit of salad for first day and then we generally just do Ham/cheese for lunches or a spread or 2min noodles, bacon/eggs for brekky or toast or cereal, (or jaffles if u have a fire!), dinner time usually meat on BBQ (steak/chops/chicken or sausages) and packet pasta/cous cous/flavoured rice and some veges. Or we like to slice up potatoes and put some herbs/oil and pan fry on BBQ. A camp oven cook up if u can have a fire, spag Bol is always easy..or one of those kan tong or chicken tonight meals.
    Last edited by Kellbell85; 22-11-2015 at 16:57.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks Ladies, definitely some food for thought and great tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For brekkie, cereal with UHT milk or shake and make pancakes.

Popcorn is a nice snack to make with the kids.

A loaf of bread is good for sandwiches for a couple of days, then becomes toast on subsequent days.

Packet pasta (also with UHT milk) accompanied by spuds is easy for a dinner or two.

When your frozen veggies run out, tinned veggies are useful.

And some tinned soup is a useful backup dinner.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Try not to waste your precious cold/frozen space on things that can be dried or tinned. I.e. Uht milk, tinned veggies, dried pasta etc.

Think about what you will do with opened things or leftovers. What containers do you need, do they need to be cold.

I second the croyovac meat.

Presently our meals are pretty simple, but I have a camp oven now and I'm starting to experiment with it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (29-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breakfast: we do something easy for most breakfasts - eg cereal or toast. There is so much work already with food prep and cleaning up that it's nice to have at least 1 easy meal a day. I usually throw in 1 cooked breakfast to mix it up. Our favourite is crumpets dipped in beaten eggs and fried up with some bacon.

Lunches: Wraps - they don't take up much room and keep well. Tinned tuna, individual sealed ham portions, tomatoes, antipasto, cheese etc.

Don't forget some nice nibbles for afternoon tea - dip, antipasto etc

Dinners: We tend to precook and freeze at least some of our meals, to make things easier. Eg, bolognaise sauce, or chicken and olive tagine. Then I just warm it up over the stove and cook some pasta or couscous to add to it.

We usually do dessert when camping (we don't often have it at home). Custard, self saucing puddings, baked apples stuffed with choc and sultanas (if you have a fire) or just a handful of M&M's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We went camping for our honeymoon! Loved every minute of it too.

We are lucky enough to have a car fridge, so in that we kept meat wrapped in small portions (sausages, chops, steak, bacon), some individually portioned ham packets, a bag of mixed lettuce, drinks (soft drink, OJ) milk, margarine, eggs and cheese. We also kept 2 loaves of bread in the fridge and it lasted well.

For fruit and veg, we took a bag of tomatoes (they keep well), a bag of potatoes, some onions, fresh carrots, and apples.

For snacks, there were things in packets like bbq shapes and biscuits, and we took a fruit cake too.

Breaky was always bacon, eggs and fried tomatoes! Lunch was usually just a ham, cheese and salad sandwich, and dinner was meat, potatoes and vegies. It was all very simple really, and we'd follow it up with a cuppa and a slice of cake at the end of the day.

Don't forget to take your staples in a separate box - it makes it easier to find everything. Tomato/BBQ sauce, salt and pepper, cooking oil, coffee, tea, sugar, tin foil, glad wrap, dish washing liquid, sponges, paper towel, t-towel, and garbage bags.

Have a great time!

Blossom
    Last edited by Blossom74; 24-11-2015 at 14:16.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow ladies! You're all awesome! I've written down all the tips, I didn't think of containers once food was opened etc, so that's on the list too. I'm now starting to think like a 'Camper' (thanks to you all) ☺️ in terms of what will keep well and what is easy to prepare sans kitchen at home. Thanks again, I'm starting to feel a bit excited now. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for your well wishes @Blossom74, sounds like you gad a lovely honeymoon. 💜