+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default parents of twins what helped you get through first 2 years please.

I"d be grateful to have any hints from parents of twins of
    preparations they made before birth

and help they had eg babysitting, live in, ironing cleaning shoppings

any shortcuts or hints to cope with the routines and care while still getting some rest during the first 2 years particularly please.

Also to help if there are other older children that need care also, transport and attention its not just the twins so any hints are appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by sylvia1111; 22-11-2015 at 07:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a twin mummy but may I suggest you look into online grocery shopping with delivery. Also if your budget allows a cleaner might take a bit of stress away.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Are you having twins sylvia1111 or is it someone you know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldnt panic too much about coping with twins us mums are great at adapting to new challenges my sister had twins at 20 as a single mother she did most herself but did ask for the odd bit pf help from our mother. She was back at work 2 days a week when the twins were 6 months and used normal long daycare those 2 days ☺ she did her food shopping either after work or with the twins depending on what day and what she needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have twins either, but I think the best thing you can do is to accept that sometimes, they'll both cry at once. And you won't be able to go to both of them. And you might feel really guilty. And you will still be a good mum anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

MrsA2B  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a mum of 2 1/2 year old twins. It has actually been easier than i thought. We had no help at all from babysitters, family etc but managed fine. They are our only two though. My main advice is to keep them on the same routine if at all possible. This is hard work to begin with while you get established but it is a lifesaver! So if one wakes for a feed, wake the other and feed both together. Also, sleep them together. The comfort of having their twin beside them really helps in the night. You can have them side by side until they start to roll, then in same cot head to head. Check SIDS site for doing it safely. I breastfed for a year (fed both at same time) but introduced a bottle at 7pm very early on. This gave my body a break and meant that i could get a chunk of time in the evening when i didn't have bubs hanging off me. This definitely helped my sanity! My sister in law did it with her twins too. When they get to food, I'd do big batches of meat and veg in the slow cooker, puree and freeze in zip lock bags. Feed from one bowl with one spoon. I froze a heap of food before they were born for DH and i to have so that i ate well while feeding. Quick lunches are important for mum! If anyone offers to help, maybe ask them to help fill your freezer. If i can answer anything else practical I'm happy to. Not sure what else you would like.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I had twin daughters when my son was 21months old. so I had three under two. you will survive. I second much of what Nat2561 has said. I fed them both at the same time. both bubs sitting in my lap, heads cradled in my elbows. I bf for nine months, introduced solids early, rather than offering formula. also I did one spoon, one bowl, into two mouths. my toddler was happy to sit with me for a story while I fed his sisters. and I also had a playpen that was a life saver. the playpen was really a portable cot, but quite large. enough room for two babies, and assorted toys. That was probably the most important thing, I used it everyday. I had great neighbours, that I did call on once or twice, for emergency babysitting. my mother and my MIL both lived on the other side of the city, so it was not possible for them to babysit without notice. I cant think of anything else, but I am happy to answer any questions. good luck, marie.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

KS09  (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had twins, I was extremely worried about how I was going to manage. I was very career orientated and a terrible housewife.
    But we survived to two years.. each birthday has been a celebration of survival haha.

They were in special care for 1 month, and then I lived with my mum for 3 months. My in-laws came from overseas and they looked after the girls and me from 4-8 months. After that I was on my own. I found it much easier to establish sleeping, feeding schedules without grandparents there to spoil.

I did get a cleaner while they were 9-12 months old, and then she left the country. I make them nap together in the day time, so I get lots of housework done then. Also, sometimes I'll hand a big basket of washing to my siblings to take home and bring back folded.

You will get through it, although I am a bit battered and mess sometimes, I wouldn't have it any other way. They are so fun to watch when they interact and play together. My girls egg each other on and get into all sorts of mischief

Thanks
    Reviews

Default parents of twins what helped you get through first 2 years please.

My twins are 6 months old. I agree with the others, it has been easier than I expected, and we have had basically no help at all. Here are my tips.

* feed them both at the same time from the start. If one wakes to eat, wake the other one. When one falls to sleep, put the other one down too. They will quickly adapt to each other's patterns and you will get some essential downtime to sleep/eat/shower etc

* if you breastfeed, tandem feed during the day at least. I single fed at night as it was easier to do it in bed and I didn't have to worry about getting the babies all set up and wake them up too much.

* invest in a good breastfeeding pillow, I used the My Brest Friend one and loved it.

* if bottle feeding (I mix fed) invest in a double feeding holder such as the Twincredible, we love love love ours!

* if you formula feed, Karicare offers a multiples discount and you can get bulk orders delivered for $10 a tin

* invest in a good double hospital grade breast pump, the Spectra S2 was great and well priced (about $230 new)

* get two swings or rockers. They will be your spare hands when both babies cry

* you will very quickly learn how to pick up and hold and cuddle two screaming babies, it can be done!

* if you can fit it in your nursery, get a sofa rather than an armchair. You'll need it if you tandem feed. If you can get a double recliner, even better, because there will be nights where you sleep in it!

* get your groceries delivered, or park right near the trolley return to snag a twin trolley. If you get desperate, you can take your double pram in to the supermarket, switch the babies over to a twin seat trolley and ask the front desk to mind your pram for you. Most Coles will also have someone who can then take the trolley out to your car for you while you drive the pram. I call my Coles in advance when I need to do this, they've always been happy to help.

* you will adapt and get super organised!

Lastly, like the others have said, being a twin parent is pretty damn special. I spent 10 mins watching my boys hold hands and giggle at each other this afternoon, and it makes it all worth it.

Edit to add - also join your local multiple birth association, they are full of great support and resources to help you.
    Last edited by MrsA2B; 12-02-2016 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I don't have twins either, but I think the best thing you can do is to accept that sometimes, they'll both cry at once. And you won't be able to go to both of them. And you might feel really guilty. And you will still be a good mum anyway.
    This is great advice! It won't happen as often as you'll think, and it will break your heart, but everyone will survive and your babies will still love you at the end of the day!