+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Clipping Long Hair Dogs?

Just wondering if anyone has advice on whether a long haired dog should be clipped in summer?

We have a golden retriever who has a very thick long coat. He HATES water, so we can't hose him to cool him down on hot days, and he won't go near the paddling pool. We have a shady area for him, and always have plenty of water. We give him frozen treats when we can.

My concern is that we get a fair few 40+ days out here and he really seems to struggle.

Would it be beneficial to get his coat clipped? I've heard some people say never to do it, but not sure why??

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We have a golden retriever and have started clipping her this year. She suffers from hot spots and our vet recommended clipping her.

Not sure why anyone would recommend against it. She's loved it since we had her clipped.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The reason why some long hair dogs shouldn't be clipped is because they have double coats, so even though they may look hot their coat acts as insulation against heat or cold.

For example Border Collies - there coats are long but in summer they are kept cool because of the insulation In their double coat if that makes sense.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-11-2015),Sonja  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told not to clip my dog as they have double coats and the outer coat acts like insulation keeping them warm in winter and cool in summer, just regular grooming to get out the undercoat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to raspberries For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a lab x retriever - be basically looks like a black golden retriever so his coat is hot and heavy. He had awful skin issues, but since we started regularly clipping him (every 8 weeks) he is much cooler, his skin is better and he is happier!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We always clipped our Springer Spaniels - due to grass seeds predominantly but it seemed to keep them cooler.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Technically the others are correct in that you should not need to clip a long haired dog as their coat offers insulation from both the hot and cold. HOWEVER if you are not big on grooming, sometimes clipping it off is the better option. I clip my long haired shepherd x rotti, because I don't get time to do much grooming and He gets hot spots if I don't. I just do
    It myself and clip him with a #10 all over.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I just gave him a good brush. Got almost a bag full of fur even though he was brushed last week! Will have to make time to brush him every couple of days. And gave them both a beef stock ice block (salt reduced & diluted of course!).

Lucky our border collie is medium haired and loves the water!

Will just see how he goes with more regular brushing.