+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tonsillitis

Hi all...hoping there may be a doctor or nurse among you for a bit of advice.

My dd (5) had a runny nose, chesty cough and sore throat so I took her to the doctors on Wednesday. Our usual doctor wasn't on so a saw another one and she diagnosed tonsillitis. She was very hesitant and kept on second guessing herself but we left with a script for antibiotics (penicillin). She asked that we come back on Friday.

On Thursday dd developed a faint rash on the top part of her chest. The rash looks like viral rashes she has had in the past (I have become so blase about rashes!)

Now when we went to the doctor on Friday she was concerned that the rash may be an allergic reaction to the penicillin. She called in another doctor (actually our regular doctor) and they decided that it probably wasn't but if it got worse to come back.

This morning it is worse as in it's a larger area but confined to front chest.

Yesterday I asked them if the tonsillitis could just be viral and that's why she had the rash but they both said that tonsillitis is bacterial. I have been googling (I know!!!) And every single source says that most (85%) cases of tonsillitis are viral!

What to do!? Go back to the same doctors today? Wait and see?

DD is bright and back to herself, still has runny nose and cough, no fever, as if she just has a cold ... With a slight rash.

Any experience/ knowledge would be much appreciated. x
    Last edited by TeaAndToast; 21-11-2015 at 07:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go back to the doctor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

TeaAndToast  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm no doctor.... but here's my experience with tonsilitis. ..
    My DD is 3 and because she's medically complicated we are always at paediatrician when she gets sick.
    She's had tonsillitis so much she's getting them out in two weeks.
    Every single time she gets it we get swabs done and it's always viral. We've never given antibiotics for her tonsillitis. Ever!
    She's had some pretty full on rashes with them.
    We always do throat and nose and swabs to check if antibiotics are necessary as our paed says why give them unnecessarily.
    Swabs only take 24hrs to get back usually.

I'd go back to your dr. And next time if you give penicillin be aware of the rash and possible allergy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. My worry is that the doctors didn't even consider the fact that dd may have a virus hence the rash.

Also, dd has had amoxicillin a number of times without effect.

Maybe I will try and see a another (3 rd) doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm no doctor.... but here's my experience with tonsilitis. ..
    My DD is 3 and because she's medically complicated we are always at paediatrician when she gets sick.
    She's had tonsillitis so much she's getting them out in two weeks.
    Every single time she gets it we get swabs done and it's always viral. We've never given antibiotics for her tonsillitis. Ever!
    She's had some pretty full on rashes with them.
    We always do throat and nose and swabs to check if antibiotics are necessary as our paed says why give them unnecessarily.
    Swabs only take 24hrs to get back usually.

I'd go back to your dr. And next time if you give penicillin be aware of the rash and possible allergy.
    This.
    I refuse to give DS antibiotics unless a confirmed bacterial infection. I've insisted on a swab ever time he's had tonsillitis and it's always come back viral. You only need antibiotics if it's strep throat as that can lead to more serious things. I would stop the antibiotics ASAP and get a swab. I'm allergic to penicillin and get a rash on my tummy. Having said all that if it is viral ( most likely) then it could be a post viral rash. I'd be getting a 2nd opinion or even go to the local hospital.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Firstly and most importantly don't give any more antibiotics if she has rash. You don't want her exposure to the penicillin to increase.

Take her back to Dr. Get a second opinion from another Dr.
    My tip is to always outline a rash with pen and take photos of the rash so you can show a Dr how it has developed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (21-11-2015),TeaAndToast  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is the rash my DD had with last bout of illness. At first we thought she had measles! It was viral with her tonsillitis.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a nurse and as far as I know tonsillitis can be viral or bacterial.
    But rashes are usually more congruent with viruses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am allergic to penicillin, found out after a bout of tonsillitis. The rash was pretty bad, much more severe than a viral rash. If you think it's an allergy take back to the dr. Tonsillitis is caused from a virus that turns bacterial. The viral rash may be related to the virus that came before the tonsillitis. You definitely need to take antibiotics if it's tonsillitis. Trust me, it's horrible and it's the only thing that works.
    I think that it's odd that a dr couldn't diagnose tonsillitis. It's pretty obvious IMO!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    This is the rash my DD had with last bout of illness. At first we thought she had measles! It was viral with her tonsillitis.
    You sure this isn't an allergic reaction to penicillin? It's hard to see clearly in the pic, but my allergic reaction was similar to this.