+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 9yo lower left abdo pain

DS (9yo) has complained for a few days of a belly ache, has generally not been himself - tired, sleeping in (terrible sleeper generally), slow on his feet. No signs of anything other than saying it was sore.

Picked him up from school and he's like a walking zombie, pale and very quiet and compliant (very unusual!). He's complained terribly of this abdominal pain on the lower left side - slight prod elicits a big reaction.

We came home and well he's got the runs big time (liquid sorry), slight fever of 37.8, he's still pale and quieter than normal. No vomiting (I hope it stays that way).

I'm assuming it's some sort of gastro bug although I have no idea from where he picked it up but the abdominal pain has me slightly questioning if I need to keep an eye on him. Are bigger kids a dehydration risk? He only drinks water and we are trying to make him do it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you called 13health and talked to a nurse. They may be able to advise what you can do or if you should take him to a doctor?

I'd keep his fluids up, maybe some panadol to reduce his fever and keep and eye on his belly pain to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't called because DH thinks I'm
    overreacting which is pretty funny coming from him seeing as my last two gut instincts had DS in hospital twice for a week each time. I'm posting here so he doesn't know as he's already got the grumps on with me. I'm sure that sounds silly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a tummy bug probably picked up from school. See how he is overnight . dehydration not too much of a problem if not vomitting.

Poor thing. Hope he feels better in the morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My first thought was possible appendicitis, but then read you said the pain is on the left side, not lower right.

Definitely not constipation pains since he's had diarrhea.

If it goes on longer than the usual gastro bug time, then I would definitely be getting him checked over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 9yo lower left abdo pain

Meh if he's already got the grumps who cares. Ring the nurse on call. It's your own boy so stand up for him and just let your hubby strop. Sounds like it could have been a tummy bug brewing for a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS went straight to sleep and hasn't got up so I'll leave him (nurse on call wanted me to wake him) so I'll see how he is through the night and tomorrow. I hope it passes quickly, as full on as he is it's unnerving seeing him so quiet.