+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Attachment 75537
    @Elijahs's Mum

I've seen this really good post on the old thread. Great ideas!

Are all of these things Ok to give from 6mths?

Is bread ok? I've read no bread or pasta.. All a bit confusing!
    Everything and anything is ok except honey ! I did BLW with DS and he was eating salmon, eggs, goat yogurt , avocado, broccoli and cucumber in the first 3 days!

I started bread and pasta at about 7 months, the first month was just fruit/veggies/seafood so he could learn to bite and chew and then once he had that down wholemeal or spelt or sourdough bread but I only gave bread once a day max and pasta once a week ( and still do) as I think grain overload is not good for anyone

Not sure how you have decided to wean ( definitely recommend waiting until minimum 6 months and wait until she shows physical signs of readiness like losing her tongue thrust reflex, sitting up unaided and using her pincher grasp ) but I really recommend reading the Baby Led Weaning book by Gil Rapley, I think you'll love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    I do feel tho that he'd feel like I was pushing it too far to restrict her meat entirely.
    This is the main point for me.

You said you agreed to let your child eat meat if they wanted to... well that can only be a choice if they are given meat to sample.

Would you consider doing meat days and veggie days?
    Maybe 2/3 meat days and the rest veggie?

See which bub prefers and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    This is the main point for me.

You said you agreed to let your child eat meat if they wanted to... well that can only be a choice if they are given meat to sample.
    You make a good point there 😊

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

DT75  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS will always choose fish or seafood over meat as he is just used to it I suppose but yes at least he does have the choice - the first time he tried bacon at my in laws he asked me what it was and I couldn't resist it and said its a pig, I don't eat pigs ( thinking he might say oh neither do I) but he tried it and said "oh sorry mum I do like eating pigs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely a decision that the two of you have to make. I'm not vegetarian myself, although my partner was raised vegan and we eat very little meat compared to the 'typical' Australian diet.

Personally, in your situation, I think I'd serve vegetarian food when I was preparing it and let my partner serve meat if/when he wanted to. He's a parent too, and ethically there wouldn't be a big difference between what he'd serve himself and a little extra for her.

Depends of course on what you're both comfortable with though. Good luclk deciding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm vegetarian (since teenager) but wish that I was brought up vegetarian. I would have rather had the choice to add meat to my diet once I was old enough to understand what it was and make that choice, rather than the other way around. It's something you can't go back on - Depends on your reasons for being vegetarian too, whether for health or moral reasons.

Having said that I allowed DH to have our DD (6) on a non-vegetarian diet but thankfully she has started to withdraw meats from her diet herself for moral reasons, and DH is ok with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a meat eater and dp is vegetarian. He has just asked that we have a few vegetarian meals together (once bubs is eating) which I'm completely ok with. I don't eat meat in all of my meals anyway as I try to have a varied diet.

He said to me that when she is old enough to ask why he doesn't eat meat he is going to tell her why (his reasons are morally). To which I replied that was fine with me.
    He's happy for there to be meat until she is old enough to make the decision. He will occasionally cook me fish when I'm sick.
    Although he doesn't eat it.

I guess just go with your gut and what feels right and how your dd responds to the foods?!
    I'd be interested to follow and see how you go as I'm at least a year behind you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally understand the conundrum. I've been vego for 23 years (for ethical reasons) and started eating fish when I was ttc and when pregnant but will go back to vego when I'm done having babies.

I guess a lot depends on your reasons for being vegetarian whether it be for health reasons or ethics reasons or something else. For me, I wanted my son to experience meat and to get enough protein and for him to decide when he grows up, if he wants to be vegetarian. I decided at 12 years old I couldn't eat meat anymore as it just didn't sit right with me and no one person influence my choice but my own thoughts. Which were strong and led me to be total vegan for 9 years. So it's almost a religious choice for me, and not always an easy one so I want my child to have the freedom to make that choice himself. If that makes sense. Funnily enough, he's not fond of meat at all and it's hard to get into him.

My compromise is that I buy mostly free range cruelty free meat (my partner eats meat) and support local farms that give the animals a nice life. When my son is old enough, I want him to strongly know where his food comes from. Teaching him kindness towards animals is very, very important to us.

I will say that I had a family member who was strictly vegetarian and made his child vegetarian and that child from an early age associated eating meat as "bad" therefore people who ate it were "bad people" I.e. The kids at school etc. he was way too young to be thinking like that and he was just parroting what his parents said and they were mega strict about it. So maybe some other vego mums can give you advice on how to broach that topic.

Maybe you need to sit down with your partner and address his concerns and see if there is possibly a compromise you can come up with? If you do decide to go vego then you might find some other mums online who have lots of great recipes and such. A nutritionist is also a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clb84 View Post
    I'm a meat eater and dp is vegetarian. He has just asked that we have a few vegetarian meals together (once bubs is eating) which I'm completely ok with. I don't eat meat in all of my meals anyway as I try to have a varied diet.

He said to me that when she is old enough to ask why he doesn't eat meat he is going to tell her why (his reasons are morally). To which I replied that was fine with me.
    He's happy for there to be meat until she is old enough to make the decision. He will occasionally cook me fish when I'm sick.
    Although he doesn't eat it.

I guess just go with your gut and what feels right and how your dd responds to the foods?!
    I'd be interested to follow and see how you go as I'm at least a year behind you xx
    Thanks for your reply. I think that I have to allow her to try meat as much as it pains me. I will also follow your DP's tact and when she ask I'll simply tell her that animals are my friends and I don't eat my friends'

It's just going to be a challenge as DH is going to have to field the question of 'Daddy, why do you eat animals?' - I'll let him explain that one!

Good luck with it 🍀

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Want to raise my daughter a vegetarian but hubby a meat eater..

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Totally understand the conundrum. I've been vego for 23 years (for ethical reasons) and started eating fish when I was ttc and when pregnant but will go back to vego when I'm done having babies.

I guess a lot depends on your reasons for being vegetarian whether it be for health reasons or ethics reasons or something else. For me, I wanted my son to experience meat and to get enough protein and for him to decide when he grows up, if he wants to be vegetarian. I decided at 12 years old I couldn't eat meat anymore as it just didn't sit right with me and no one person influence my choice but my own thoughts. Which were strong and led me to be total vegan for 9 years. So it's almost a religious choice for me, and not always an easy one so I want my child to have the freedom to make that choice himself. If that makes sense. Funnily enough, he's not fond of meat at all and it's hard to get into him.

My compromise is that I buy mostly free range cruelty free meat (my partner eats meat) and support local farms that give the animals a nice life. When my son is old enough, I want him to strongly know where his food comes from. Teaching him kindness towards animals is very, very important to us.

I will say that I had a family member who was strictly vegetarian and made his child vegetarian and that child from an early age associated eating meat as "bad" therefore people who ate it were "bad people" I.e. The kids at school etc. he was way too young to be thinking like that and he was just parroting what his parents said and they were mega strict about it. So maybe some other vego mums can give you advice on how to broach that topic.

Maybe you need to sit down with your partner and address his concerns and see if there is possibly a compromise you can come up with? If you do decide to go vego then you might find some other mums online who have lots of great recipes and such. A nutritionist is also a great idea.
    Hi @Clementine Grace

Thank you for your response, it was really helpful.

I follow a meat free and dairy free diet predominantly for ethical reasons. The industry is disgusting and I don't want any part of it. The more resource that is available over recent years has also affirmed for me that it's also a great choice health wise. Since going dairy free my eczema has completely cleared up and I've never looked back!

I also made the switch at 13 years old and it was quite empowering. I don't think I knew the extent of the path I was choosing at the time but I've never looked back. I didn't eat fish for 8 years then started again in my mid 20's. I was then fully vegan when I got pregnant but started eating fish and the best eggs I could buy during pregnancy and now breastfeeding. It's constantly changing. One thing I know is I've never regretted stopping meat.

Since I've been with DH his eyes have been opened a lot and his meat consumption is a lot lower than it was. He also only buys grass fed etc and we have no pork/veal/kangaroo/dairy in the house.

By typing this reply I've just had a bit of an epiphany! If I don't let her have meat she'll never have that feeling of empowerment I've had from making restrictions to my diet. I like you almost see it as religious ( good choice of words )

You also made a good point that navigating pre school and primary is already hard for a little person. I don't want to make it harder.

Great reply. Thank you! 😊