+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Want to raise my daughter a vegetarian but hubby a meat eater..

Hi,

Firstly I'm 100% not after any comments on the benefits of eating meat and why it should happen for kids. I've been veggie 20 years and dairy free two years. My DD1 is breastfed and has perfect health and in the 90th percentile for weight and 75 for height. A big chubby bouncing baby. Please only comment if you can remain impartial to my diet choices as don't want a debate. 😊

So my conundrum is, at 5mths she's never had meat in utero or via breast milk and although DH has agreed to dairy free we had previously said let her have meat and choose to omit if she wants.. The thought of her eating meat tho makes me really upset..not sure what to do. We do however eat fish.

I plan to see a dietician in the new year before she starts solids anyways as want to make sure I'm doing the right things.

DH is a very accommodating partner but I want to make sure I don't bully him into anything. Would love to hear from any other mums ( or Dads ) that have had conflicting ideas on diet for kids and how you navigated it peacefully.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a pescatarian as well ( haven't eaten meat or chicken for 30 years!) DH is a meat eater but luckily trusts my knowledge of nutrition and does not question any food decisions for DS so I've never had that problem

I really struggled wether to give DS meat or not and changed my mind 100 times while pregnant but I did decide too and we have Meat Mondays where I will cook steak or meat once a week the boys - ( he does eat it at other times if we are out or at other people's houses) I only buy organic or at least grass fed as it makes me feel better knowing they had a happy life! and he's getting maximum nutrition from it , I don't cook pork products or veal or sausages or deli meats so he's never had those ( except a bit of bacon on occasion when he's been at in laws house and some ham at parties)

I definitely don't believe it's needed for a healthy diet and I'm hoping when he's old enough he can make a choice not to eat it but I just figured I want him to experience a wide varied diet plus if he does choose to eat it, giving it too him young does help his digestive system get used to it

As you would know he can easily get plenty of protein, B12 , iron and omegas from seafood and eggs and DS naturally chooses fish over meat as that's what he's used too I suppose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi amiracleforme glad to hear u and bub are doing well 😊

My DH and I are vegetarian too but not strict as we will eat meat occasionally when we go out for a meal to a restaurant or to family/friends (I don't cook meat at home). So I haven't had issues with DH about what my DS and soon to be eating DD eat. It is more with other people trying to feed DS like grandparents and childcare workers. I'm strict with no beef or chicken but I know that DS has eaten these before as he told me he had chicken pie for lunch at childcare!! DH was more annoyed about this than me and said next year at childcare we will say that he is full vegetarian so there is no confusion like there currently is because we let him eat lamb, pork and fish. DS also loves sausages thanks to my parents... I figure he doesn't eat it often so a little bit every now and then is ok. When he's older he can choose if he wants to eat meat or not but for now we will limit it where possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is vegie and I eat meat. We give the boys the option of eating meat, but neither are very keen on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would look at it the same as any cultural difference affecting kids that parents butt heads on. For example, if one parent wanted to circumcise their son and another didn't I would get a professional (pediatrician) to go through the pros and cons and state from their medical opinion what would be best for the child.

IMO cultural beliefs shouldn't be used as a reason to do something that negatively affects kids (not necessarily saying that's what's happening in your situation). So if one parents disagrees and a medical person sides with them then that parent wins. Kids best interests... Not parents.

That's what I would do. Hope this helps you think through the issues in some way.

Just a side note: at 5 months you may want to get cracking on that nutritionist appointment incase bub shows readiness for solids signs (can happen any time now).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm vegetarian (try to minimise dairy too but love cheese too much!), DH eats meat for lunch at work but we never have it in the house (the benefit of me doing all the shopping and cooking ).
    So 17 month DS is also mostly vegetarian, he just has meat when he eats at daycare a couple of days per week.

And it's fine! We're all happy and healthy. This is thread I started this time last year when we were starting solids. http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...rian-baby-food

Just be mindful of iron intake, lots of pulses, legumes, green vegies. I used to add the iron enriched farex stuff to fruit purees when he was little. I still add pureed or finely chopped spinach or kale to almost every meal. I also use this "iron lucky fish" that I think AdornedWithCats mentioned once (google it!).

I'm still breastfeeding and take a vegetarian omega 3 supplement so he should be getting some of that through the milk.

Just because vegetarianism/veganism is a minority view, some people say that you're imposing your choices on your child (as if it's a negative thing), but you can say that about every single aspect of parenting!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I'm vegetarian (try to minimise dairy too but love cheese too much!), DH eats meat for lunch at work but we never have it in the house (the benefit of me doing all the shopping and cooking ).
    So 17 month DS is also mostly vegetarian, he just has meat when he eats at daycare a couple of days per week.

And it's fine! We're all happy and healthy. This is thread I started this time last year when we were starting solids. http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...rian-baby-food

Just be mindful of iron intake, lots of pulses, legumes, green vegies. I used to add the iron enriched farex stuff to fruit purees when he was little. I still add pureed or finely chopped spinach or kale to almost every meal. I also use this "iron lucky fish" that I think AdornedWithCats mentioned once (google it!).

I'm still breastfeeding and take a vegetarian omega 3 supplement so he should be getting some of that through the milk.

Just because vegetarianism/veganism is a minority view, some people say that you're imposing your choices on your child (as if it's a negative thing), but you can say that about every single aspect of parenting!
    Thanks Deku for response. It's totally true. There are 50 thousand ways to raise a child and everyone one of them potentially correct and working well for that child/family.

My DH is from a strong cultural background of meat eaters but once I showed him the negatives of dairy ( health wise and ethically ) he happily has none in the house. I do feel tho that he'd feel like I was pushing it too far to restrict her meat entirely. We have a good balanced relationship and i don't want to jeopardise that. Alas i don't cook as well as him so he is the chef in our house.

I appreciate the tips on deficiencies and how to avoid. I'll certainly have a read of that thread 😊

I stopped eating meat at 13 so if she does have a little here and there i just hope that as soon as she makes the connection she'll choose kindness over taste.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would look at it the same as any cultural difference affecting kids that parents butt heads on. For example, if one parent wanted to circumcise their son and another didn't I would get a professional (pediatrician) to go through the pros and cons and state from their medical opinion what would be best for the child.

IMO cultural beliefs shouldn't be used as a reason to do something that negatively affects kids (not necessarily saying that's what's happening in your situation). So if one parents disagrees and a medical person sides with them then that parent wins. Kids best interests... Not parents.

That's what I would do. Hope this helps you think through the issues in some way.

Just a side note: at 5 months you may want to get cracking on that nutritionist appointment incase bub shows readiness for solids signs (can happen any time now).
    Thanks @VicPark

We have agreed to start at 6mths as per the WHO recommendations.. I'm sure she'll be OK initially for a while as not much actually goes in or so I hear!

It also depends on what health professional you go to.. Some fiercely advocate meat/dairy while I believe you don't need them to be healthy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by akakura View Post
    Hi amiracleforme glad to hear u and bub are doing well 😊

My DH and I are vegetarian too but not strict as we will eat meat occasionally when we go out for a meal to a restaurant or to family/friends (I don't cook meat at home). So I haven't had issues with DH about what my DS and soon to be eating DD eat. It is more with other people trying to feed DS like grandparents and childcare workers. I'm strict with no beef or chicken but I know that DS has eaten these before as he told me he had chicken pie for lunch at childcare!! DH was more annoyed about this than me and said next year at childcare we will say that he is full vegetarian so there is no confusion like there currently is because we let him eat lamb, pork and fish. DS also loves sausages thanks to my parents... I figure he doesn't eat it often so a little bit every now and then is ok. When he's older he can choose if he wants to eat meat or not but for now we will limit it where possible.
    Hey @akakura !

Lovely to hear from you. Very pragmatic advice. Thank you.

As I haven't cooked meat in 20 years she won't get any from me which will be the majority of the time.

I guess I just have grit my teeth with the grandparents 😁

I hope you and bubsy are well? Xx
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 20-11-2015 at 16:00.

Thanks
    Reviews

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1447999655.357334.jpg
    @Elijahs's Mum

I've seen this really good post on the old thread. Great ideas!

Are all of these things Ok to give from 6mths?

Is bread ok? I've read no bread or pasta.. All a bit confusing!