+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Brisbane Catholic High Schools

Hi,
    I am after feedback on Catholic high schools in / near Brisbane, co-ed or boys (preference is for co-ed). I have a friend looking to move and they are looking at options for their boys. They don't really know which part of Brisbane they will end up in at this stage, so any suggestions for schools to look into would be great.
    Some of the schools they have started looking at include: Marist Ashgrove, Padua College Kedron, St Eugene's Burpengary, St Benedict's College Mango Hill. Please let me know if you have had any experience either way at any of these schools.
    Their highest priority is for somewhere that has good academic differentiation and potential for extension. A strong music program would also be good. Plus a nurturing, respectful, inclusive environment. Somewhere that isn't too large would be a bonus.
    Naturally they will be calling a few schools and making their own inquiries, but anecdotal input can also be valuable. Feel free to PM me also.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Given what they're looking for, I would not recommend St Eugene's at Burpengary. I have some experience with the school and its not the best match for their list of priorities. On Padua - I've got two cousins who've finished there recently and they were very happy and enjoyed the music program. Another good Catholic high school to consider is St Pat's at Shorncliffe.

All the above are boys only. There aren't many co-ed Catholic high schools in Brisbane. St Benedicts at Mango Hill and St Eugene's are the only ones I know around here and I don't know anything about St Benedicts as its extremely new. If they really want Co-ed then they may want to look at St Pauls at Bald Hills although its Anglican, not Catholic. It has one of the strongest music programs on the north side.

Hope that helps a bit. Obviously nothing beats actually going and getting a feel for the schools and seeing which one fits best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Those Schools you've listed are spaced far and wide apart, so it's a bit tricky if you don't have a specific area to pin point, but in saying that, I have heard that St Joseph's College (Nudgee College) has a strong music program and sporting one, it's an all boys college though.

St Columbans, St Eugenes are all out of Brisbane, they're in Caboolture and Burpengary, but both meant to be good schools. St Eugenes is co-ed and has middle school etc.

St Patricks College in Shorncliffe, my cousins went there (it's an all boys) and I know it was big on sport, particularly cricket.

Marist Brother's has always had great music and debating, and is one of the better schools.

Most of the ones that come to mind are girls schools, hopefully someone else might have better anecdotal input then me!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my grandsons go to St Benedicts primary school. but I am looking forward to the experience when they start at the college. it seems like a wonderful school, and the new train station is right on the school boundary. Mango Hill, is in Moreton Shire, just north of Brisbane. My son is teaching at Chisholm College. on the south side of Brisbane. Mt Cotton Rd. towards Capalaba. Im not sure if I have spelt that correctly. It is a catholic co ed, and my son is so very happy with the school. He is teaching Japanese, so I know nothing about any music program, or sport, but the attitude of the school, is very strong and encouraging. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kedron High School is extremely multicultural. Alot of different races go there, I went there and loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Marist in ashgrove and Padua in kedron are flipping fantastic boys school. If I had boys they would go there.

With co ed Catholic schools.
    St Thomas more in sunnybank and clairvaux mackillop college in mt gravatt are south side co ed schools about 14-17km from the city.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A big thank you for all the responses so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mt Maria college is a coed catholic high school on the north side (mitchelton). My friend is a teacher there, loves it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Marist Ashgrove tends to push sport over academia. When I was researching highschools I found a ranking list of Qld schools based on 2013 OP results and I was surprised at how low down the list Marist Ashgrove was. By low down I mean it was lower than I expected it to be, not at the bottom of the list low. I was very happy that the state school my child was higher up.

If you want academic Catholic Boys schools, I would choose St Joseph's Gregory Terrace or St Laurence's South Brisbane over Marist Ashgrove.

Mt Maria at Mitchelton is another Catholic co-od high school. It had a terrible reputation 5 or 6 years ago but it has improved since then.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 20-11-2015 at 14:37.