+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0

    Default Misoprostol? How was your experience...

    So I have finally got my hands on some misoprostol, a very hard script to get filled!

    I've got a blighted ovum and am now past 10w and still no natural miscarriage has happened so my ob suggested misoprostol instead of a d and c.

    Just wondering what peoples experience is with it or any tips on coping with it. I have read varying experiences from worst then labour to not that bad. I'm taking the tablets tomorrow morning.

    Thanks so much

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    285
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey. I had a MMC and the early pregnancy unit gave me misoprostol, I ended up needing to have a D&C anyway. Misoprostol did nothing for me. Hope it works a bit better for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked
    168
    Reviews
    0
    I used it for a mmc and it worked for me. I had a pretty bad experience with it in terms of pain and being sick. Bad cramping, throwing up and a lot of large clots. The baby passed 3 days after taking it. Ive heard others that have only had some cramping when taking it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,613
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    686
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used it for 2 occasions, both for mmc's. First time we found out at 12.5wks our bub no longer had a hb and I was prescribed it to help prepare my body for a d&c the next day. It worked 'too' well as I passed our bub just before leaving for the hospital. It was agony, such bad cramps. I think it was made worse by the fact I wasn't expecting it

    2nd time around I had an awful time. I was 10.5wks, again scan showed no more hb. I was initially prescribed the miso orally (!!) Which did nothing but cause me to vomit something terrible. A couple of weeks later I transferred hospitals, they prescribed a further dose vaginally which worked within hours. Didn't pass absolutely everything though and still needed a d&c 5wks afterwards for retained lining.
    I was prepared though for the 2nd 1 and was given panadeine forte which made the pain more bearable

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    I used it for 2 occasions, both for mmc's. First time we found out at 12.5wks our bub no longer had a hb and I was prescribed it to help prepare my body for a d&c the next day. It worked 'too' well as I passed our bub just before leaving for the hospital. It was agony, such bad cramps. I think it was made worse by the fact I wasn't expecting it

    2nd time around I had an awful time. I was 10.5wks, again scan showed no more hb. I was initially prescribed the miso orally (!!) Which did nothing but cause me to vomit something terrible. A couple of weeks later I transferred hospitals, they prescribed a further dose vaginally which worked within hours. Didn't pass absolutely everything though and still needed a d&c 5wks afterwards for retained lining.
    I was prepared though for the 2nd 1 and was given panadeine forte which made the pain more bearable
    Sorry for you to have had to go through two miscarriages 😞

    I'm taking it orally so hopefully it doesn't make me to sick. Thanks so much for the advice

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbub4us View Post
    I used it for a mmc and it worked for me. I had a pretty bad experience with it in terms of pain and being sick. Bad cramping, throwing up and a lot of large clots. The baby passed 3 days after taking it. Ive heard others that have only had some cramping when taking it
    3 days? How awful for you. I thought it all will happen within hours of taking it. I guess tomorrow we will see

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by babymummatobe View Post
    Hey. I had a MMC and the early pregnancy unit gave me misoprostol, I ended up needing to have a D&C anyway. Misoprostol did nothing for me. Hope it works a bit better for you.
    Thanks I hope it works. They gave me a different tablet yesterday to help things along and I have started spotting already so when I do take the misoprostol fingers crossed it works

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    1,060
    Thanks
    838
    Thanked
    778
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I took Misoprotstol for RPOC after D&C. Did nothing except some light cramps, and I ended up passing the (small) RPOC with AF a few weeks later.
    Hope you have a swift resolution

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked
    172
    Reviews
    0
    Well it's been 7 hours since I took the last 2 tablets and nothing. A little cramping and not anymore bleeding than a period. Maybe it's not going to work 😞

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mildura
    Posts
    1,565
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It worked for me but it can take a few hours to work they told me around 4-48 hours before anything will really happen i can say ive had a fair bit of trouble with bleeding after them i bled for 4 months with 3 very very heavy bleeds and have not bled or ovulated since which is hugely stressful as we are ttc again. I personally would have preferred a d & c


 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone with experience with croup that can help me?
    By Just*Ace in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-08-2015, 16:53
  2. My experiences with Misoprostol (TMI warning)
    By acerbaby in forum Pregnancy Loss Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-03-2015, 20:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hire For Baby Perth
New RETAIL store - Perth Hire For Baby Perth
Here at Hire for Baby, we offer a wide range of products from Child Restraints to Strollers, Stroller Accessories and Oricom Baby Monitors. Wholesale prices - till the stock ends. Buy from us and get the installation for FREE.
Like us on Facebook and get $10 OFF
featured supporter
Melbourne Natural Medicine Clinic
Leading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an integrative approach all health professionals and offer diagnostic testing and natural treatment options suitable for the whole family.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!