+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default encourage me out of debt

Hi all

Really just a call out to anyone who has ever had credit card debt, and happy enough to share on here ... we have a substantial amount that has grown for various reasons

It would be good to hear from others that it is possible to pay them off! What worked for you to help battle it etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See if you can get a personal loan. The interest rate would be a lot smaller and more manageable. And cut up the cards!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default encourage me out of debt

Whilst we don't have any credit card debt, my advice to you would be to see if you can transfer your debt to a 0% credit card (some do an introductory offer) and then set up a direct debit to pay it off. And cut the thing up once it arrives!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I transferred to a interest free credit card (specifically for credit transfers) with a well known bank and managed to pay it off quick smart without half my payments getting chewed up in interest.

Watching the balance go down kept me motivated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Years ago, before kids we racked up a credit card and GE card (those things are the devil). There was no secret tips for us. We reigned the spending right in and cut up the cards. We got everything direct debit like electricity etc. And we piled every cent we had left onto the cards. We are now in a good cycle where we pay for everything with cash, no credit.

Bottom line. Live within your means, cut every single non essential thing out of the budget and pay it off. Once you start, the interest drops, and you eat more and more into the principal.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a small credit card debt at the moment
    I decided on a realistic timeframe to pay it off worked out my monthly payments then added a little more to it :-) plus at the end of the month pay what extra i have towards the debt.

I absolutely love spending money but seeing the debt go down is a pretty awesome feeling :-)

not being unrealistic and still allowing yourself some spending money (not planning on putting all your extra money on the debt helps