+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Evaporated powdered milk

Hi all, my paed has adviced me to add a couple spoons of this in my daughters normal milk.

Thoughts? She's 17 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why? Wouldn't it be better to add powdered protein (kid safe one) or something like that?

I know my folks used to give us raw eggs beaten into milk for us to drink when we were needing a food boost after illness as a protein hit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Why? Wouldn't it be better to add powdered protein (kid safe one) or something like that?

I know my folks used to give us raw eggs beaten into milk for us to drink when we were needing a food boost after illness as a protein hit.
    Like kid's sustagen - I think there is such a thing. I'm sure @Tamtam has info on this..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post

Weight gain? More calories.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We add pediasure powder (you can buy this at chemist or paed can organise a referral to hospital dietician - it still be cheaper ) to regular cows milk. And have done for nearly 20 months. For added calories and nutrition to supplement her diet.
    In addition she drinks the pre made pediasure bottles.
    Prior to that we added formula (karicare) to regular milk.
    We've never used evaporated milk.
    But if your paed has suggested it?
    I guess I was of the school of thought with my DD that pediasure also has added vitamins/minerals as she wouldn't get those due to poor diet.
    I'm not sure what evaporated milk adds except for calories.

Was this your paeds only response to your concerns about her poor eating and weight gain?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I add two scoops of pediasure to 100mls of cows milk. You can use pediasure in smoothies and cooking etc.

A tin in the chemist is usually found near protein powders etc. But can range from $35-$50 in price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Weight gain? More calories.....
    Yea but there are definitely more efficient and healthier options ie pedisure like PP said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not suggesting you try pediasure.
    However I would research your options and head back to your paediatrician.
    You have consistently voiced concerns over your little one with feeding and weight.
    First and foremost, does she grow on her own curve? Was the paed happy with her consistent growth or has she fallen off her growth curve?

If there are concerns with that, then a referral to a dietician at your local hospital can go through her diet, discuss where there are gaps and then suggest ways to help her along. An option is pediasure but there are others.
    Plus it might be sensible to have a FBC test...bloods taken. ..checking iron stores and so on to see if she's lacking in any areas.

Good luck.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-11-2015),Nafsika  (19-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm not suggesting you try pediasure.
    However I would research your options and head back to your paediatrician.
    You have consistently voiced concerns over your little one with feeding and weight.
    First and foremost, does she grow on her own curve? Was the paed happy with her consistent growth or has she fallen off her growth curve?

If there are concerns with that, then a referral to a dietician at your local hospital can go through her diet, discuss where there are gaps and then suggest ways to help her along. An option is pediasure but there are others.
    Plus it might be sensible to have a FBC test...bloods taken. ..checking iron stores and so on to see if she's lacking in any areas.

Good luck.
    Yes, I have voiced my concerns or else I'll probably go crazy. 😃

She is close to 18 months old and she is small, I am awaiting test results tomorrow or next week. Regarding growth issues.

Her normal bloods were all good.

I would love to give her good instead of powders but if that's the only option I'm not sure.

She's reaching her milestones. Doesn't talk except a few words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it was and we are seeing a dietitian after I suggested it. I mean I'm quiet short, but going by my photos when I was a baby I was bigger. So we will see. I pray she turns into a eating machine.

I'm open to food suggestions.

She does eat the good fats but just doesn't gain weight.
    Today she had very little.