+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Very tricky - it's really unclear who's role it should be to do the disciplining in that scenario!

That's happened to my DD before. I also hate confrontation, but I do step in to talk to the other child if the other parent is not watching. I think it's important for my DD to know that I will always stand up for her even when I am nervous or embarrassed. I also try to teach my DD that sometimes we're scared and we do things anyway, so I guess I have to set an example even though I hate doing it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    glad you posted this i often struggle with what to do in this situation too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only have a baby but I dread these situations in years to come as I would definitely say something to the kid and parent and I wouldn't be nice about it :S I can't stand bad mannered kids and parents. I hope our LO has manners!

Thanks
    Reviews
    if someone is hurting my kid and I cant see a parent I'll pull them up, if it continues I will shadow them and continuously tell the kid off

if a parent got in my face about it I'd tell them to watch their kid and get out of my face.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jast View Post
    We only have a baby but I dread these situations in years to come as I would definitely say something to the kid and parent and I wouldn't be nice about it :S I can't stand bad mannered kids and parents. I hope our LO has manners!
    It's not great when you see a kid slap your child full across the face. The mumma bear comes out in you!! Even worse is when the other parent not only didn't see but is too busy on their phone to even notice what their kid is up to. Teach them early and they will have manners!! My parents instilled manners and respect in me from very early on. In fact i have very few memories of getting in trouble from not listening etc. This is how we are raising our kids. Respect and manners. It's not always easy though!! Our ds1 is very rebellious since ds2 arrived!! 😒

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For minor things I try to just calmly say "No hitting please" or whatever. I give most kids the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've just gotten carried away in the moment, and that they're basically good kids. Depends on the severity though. I've rarely seen kids do stuff that warrants yelling at them or nastily berating them. A calm, stern word is all they need.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jast View Post
    I guarantee you that you will have a turn on both sides of the fence! It's not easy, but I have found that I get less 'precious' about my kids the older they get. It's not that I'm not protective, but occasionally my kids do lash out and it's embarrassing and awkward. My kids have also been treated badly so it goes both ways. As parents we just have to be mature about it. If I'm telling off someone else's kid I'm careful to talk to them the same way I'd like someone to talk to my child.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-12-2015),harvs  (10-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (10-12-2015),Wise Enough  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    For minor things I try to just calmly say "No hitting please" or whatever. I give most kids the benefit of the doubt and assume that they've just gotten carried away in the moment, and that they're basically good kids. Depends on the severity though. I've rarely seen kids do stuff that warrants yelling at them or nastily berating them. A calm, stern word is all they need.
    i have, my son was continuously hit, given a random chinese burn, kid attempted to kick my son in the face and grabbed him around the throat.
    I told my son to punch him in the face if he kept it up

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is only 15 months and we've had two instances already of older kids pushing her from the top of play equipment. DH was there both times and was very quick to react (maybe overreact) and get up the kids for it. Both times the parents were nearby and watching but didn't say a word.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunanoona View Post
    DD is only 15 months and we've had two instances already of older kids pushing her from the top of play equipment. DH was there both times and was very quick to react (maybe overreact) and get up the kids for it. Both times the parents were nearby and watching but didn't say a word.
    My dh overreacts sometimes too. It can be embarrassing. He's just very obvious with his sarcasm to the other parent. But i will admit the fact he is so protective of our kids is one of the things i love most about him.

It really shizzes me when a parent will see their kid doing the wrong thing and not only do nothing to discipline the kid and let them know they're in the wrong, but also not apologize. I will even apologize when my ds1 unintentionally gets in other people's way walking through the shopping centre, it's just common courtesy. A lot of people have no respect these days, it really irks me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-12-2015)