+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    That's understandable but I think in the case of this thread the OP is willing to spend money on a charity gift and that's usually not cheap, you're not going to donate $5 to a charity in someone's name right, so the suggestion is if you would spend $20-$50 on a charity gift a voucher for something enjoyable might be money better spent.
    Yeah, you're right. It wasn't so much the responses to the OPs situation that got under my skin though, but the sweeping comments on how teachers dislike particular gifts. I do see your point that if you can afford to buy a charity gift then you could afford to get a voucher for the teacher instead. I wish I could convince a few of the other parents to band together for a gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Who consumes too much booze?

I rarely drink but a bottle of wine at the end of a school year is harmless and should be thoroughly enjoyed.
    I think society in general and we always say we don't want kids drinking at age 12 etc I just don't think it's a suitable gift to give at a school/Childcare I'm not saying teachers drink too much at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I wish I could convince a few of the other parents to band together for a gift.
    Honestly I wouldn't stress about it or take this thread to heart. Like someone else said no teacher is going through their gift collection at the end of the year going crap, lame, junk! They all appreciate it even if the gift isn't exactly to their taste, at the end of the day it's the thought that counts and it's just nice to know that someone appreciated you.

Also even if the trinkets or chocolates etc eventually get thrown out, the cards almost always get kept so have your child write a little note or draw a picture. Whenever I stumble across my collection of cards and notes from my ex students I remember them all so fondly.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (20-11-2015),sajimum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Previously I have given wine (if I know what the teacher drinks) and movie vouchers. If I know that they are married or have a partner I get two and if they have kids I get a family voucher.

This year they will get either of the above and a handmade silk bookmark that we got in Cambodia from a place that employs homeless people, trains them and gives them a job.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher & I LOVE the idea of a charity gift Especially something related to children or education. After all, I entered the profession because of my love and passion for educaing children. I also love getting xmas ornaments - every year when I decorate my tree,for a moment I think of the child who gave it to me & hope they are well and prospering in life.

I really appreciate any gift,personally I am a wine & choccie person,Im not much of a hand creams or trinkets person, but I guess its such an individual thing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (21-11-2015),sajimum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^^ lol @ educaing. Just spotted the typo. I am a great educaor. Especially spelling ☺

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (20-11-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (24-11-2015),sajimum  (21-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the varied opinions. Despite the mixed opinions I think I will go ahead with my idea for charity gifts along with a handmade card and decoration. Hopefully they appreciate it! As others have pointed out, the card and thanks expressed within it are probably the most important part of the gift anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the charity gift is a lovely idea.

DD1's class a couple of parents are arranging a letter to go out so the class can contribute to one big gift if they like - completely optional

DD2's daycare teachers im giving eggs to. Sounds unusual but they are from our free range chickens and DD2 is painting a label to go on each carton.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been a teacher for 20 years and never received a charity gift. I LOVE the idea!!! As another poster said, teachers have entered the profession because they care about kids and society and I think the majority would love this idea. Having said that. ...i never never never expect families to spend money on me at Xmas and can honestly tell you that a family who bothers to write a kind note about my contribution to their child's learning makes my year!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    I think the charity gift is a lovely idea.

DD2's daycare teachers im giving eggs to. Sounds unusual but they are from our free range chickens and DD2 is painting a label to go on each carton.
    I would love this!!! Great great great idea!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

RmumR  (24-11-2015)