+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going from one dog to two?

Usually this is a question you get about kids.
    We have a 5 month old lab puppy (lost our 10 year old lab a few months ago) We've always talked about having two dogs in the future and were thinking maybe in a couple years.
    The breeder just sent me a message that she has a 10 month old puppy looking for a home and we could take her.
    I'm so torn. We've only ever had one dog. Is this a bad idea? Right now our puppy sleeps in the house at night in her big crate and we don't have room for another one really.
    I know there will be extra costs involved as well.
    I need to hear the pros and cons of having two dogs....or puppies I should say. We're still training our puppy. Is it harder with two? I keep finding so many reasons not to do this but then I look at her photo and she's beautiful. Then we would have one yellow and one chocolate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Don't do it!!!!
    I would put that in all capitals if I could.

I love dogs. I'm a dog person. My husband is a dog person. We are dog people.

Don't do it.

One dog is one dog, two dogs is like seven dogs.

One dog you can leave at a friends house. Two dogs have to go to the kennel at least $60/day.

Two dog insurance costs is $1000 a year

One dog is part of your family pack.
    Two dogs form a pack and are ghastly at the park.

One dog does some poos and you pick them up.
    Two dogs is your whole yard covered in poo.

I could go on...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (19-11-2015),MrsSS  (20-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Going from one dog to two?

Unless you live on acreage I just wouldn't recommend it.

Two dogs is two dogs barking at each other. For fun. All day long.

One dog is a nice walk with the pram and the dog. Two dogs is you have to drive to the off leash park every single day because they must be walked and you can't walk two big dogs and push a pram so you don't get to walk anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HA ha...you're definitely making me think. I know all this but I need to have it reinforced.
    My husband says to stop showing him the pictures because he can't resist a lab 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is absolutely more chaotic, and I agree with the PP who said having two dogs is like seven dogs lol. But I love having two dogs. We have two dogs and two cats. Dogs have full access to the house. When we lost our 5 year old boxer in 2013 we then only had one for about a year and I hated it, our girl boxer was so sad. She's much happier now (but she was used to a two dog household).
    I love it when we take the dogs to my mum's house to play with her three dogs, the chaos of five dogs is lovely. Two makes things harder and I think single dogs sometimes behave a bit better, but seeing them play together and snuggle up for a cuddle makes the chaos worthwhile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything Scuba said. Every last thing. Don't do it. I love dogs, adore them...but onIy one at a time. Two is so much work, expense, dirt, fur, noise...and training two at once is a nightmare. You have to separate them each training session because they distract each other.
    No, no, no. Don't be sucked in by cuteness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one that agrees with ScubaGal! We have two dogs and although I love them both dearly I really wish we only had one. The amount of poo....omg! And it's impossible to take them for a walk with the pram. We have to get a pet sitter when we go away. Double the amount of dog washing. Double the amount of dog hair on everything (and ours are outside dogs!).

Also we're looking at having to rent for a while soon and I think it's going to be impossible to find a house that will allow 2 big dogs... you just never know when your circumstances are going to change. So much easier to deal with one dog than 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreed with scubagal!

We had a moment of contemplating a second dog and needed to be so strong to say no... Looking back now I'm so thankful we did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wow I'm shocked by the responses. I have 2 dogs and always have and always will. I love it. They are the best of friends and wouldn't trade the chaos for anything. Our dogs have completely different personalities and are wonderful. I find it about half the work to be honest as our Jack Russell was extremely clingy when she was a lone dog but once we got our golden retriever she became all about her and is so much calmer.

So I definitely vote for 2 dogs. We are also getting 2 cats next year. And we have 4 kids. I love chaos I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK this is harder than I though. Technically we have the room, just not room in the kitchen area for two crates so she'd either have to not sleep in a crate or we can put her in the laundry and she'd have access to the dog door.
    The breeder has said she is wonderfully trained. Walks great on and off the lead, totally housebroken and loves her other dogs. She gets a bit anxious on her own so she wants her to go to someone with another dog.
    I work 3 days and do sometimes wish I had a friend for Bailey because I feel bad that she's on her own all day.
    We probably won't do it but it's taking all my will power.