+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *Trigger Warning* DV witness

Just need to debrief. Sitting here shaking and crying. We have neighbours in the next steeet who I always hear yelling at their kids. They have 3 between the ages of about 7 & 12.

I've always hated the way they scream obscenities at their children. But I've never reported them as I've never heard or seen anything to make me think the children were being physically harmed.

So I just heard another massive screaming match between the mother & father. The mother ran out of the house with the little girl (about 7yo), but this time she was yelling "she's not a bad girl, don't hurt her!". So I grabbed my phone and called the police straight away. While I was waiting to get through the father grabbed the girl off the mum, threw her up their front stairs onto the porch and then kicked her and hit her while she was on the ground. The mother ran back in and grabbed her and put her in the car and sped off while the father was chasing them down the street screaming "f-ing get back here!".

I've made the report with the police and said I'm happy to make a statement if required.

The police can't tell them who made the report can they? If it goes to court will my name be associated with the statement?

Either way I'll still make the statement if asked, I just want to know if I should be taking extra security precautions at home.

Sorry for the ramble. A bit shaken up right now.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    contact the police again if you feel unsafe. they will have someone to come to you and make sure things have settled down. you have done the right thing, and I expect you wont be needed to appear in court or anything like that. please contact the police again and make sure you know what will be required of you. thank you for watching out for the little children. hugs, marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds like an awful thing to witness. Absolutely awful. No wonder you are shaken. You did the right thing keep telling yourself that. I would assume that if they wanted to press charges they may ask you for a witness statement but I don't know the ins and outs of that sorry hon. Just keep to yourself for now, I would not think they'd divulge anything about who called the police but they sound like people to stay away from in general.
    Can you phone child services as well to make a child abuse report? I wouldn't just leave it in the hands of police to deal with.
    A few years ago I lived next door to an awful man who would scream abuse at his 3 little kids every day. The mum had left him and took the older kids so there were just the little ones left. It was hideous living there, I never reported him and I regret that to this day. You did the right thing. No child should have to live like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. The police came to see me, they'd said they'd parked around the corner to make it discreet and wouldn't let them know it was us. While they were here the mother came back and the father took off. They went around to see her and there was a lot of head shaking (no) and gesturing on her part. It looked like she was denying it all, which isn't surprising, sadly. They talked for about 10 mins and left.

I felt sad for her. It must have been so embarrassing and upsetting to have the police talking to you in front of your kids. She was clearly upset when they left. I just hope its a catalyst for her to leave....but I know it probably won't be.