+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Early toilet training?

Dd is 16mo and for over a month now has been showing interest in using the potty. She tells me before she poos in her nappy and asks to sit on the potty at every nappy change. She's done two wees in the potty but normally she just pretends. I'd been taking a very relaxed approach of just letting her sit on it when she wants to rather than any active training as such, as I suspect she isn't quite ready. However, the last few days she gets very upset when I want to put her nappy back on. This morning we had 20 minutes of screaming "no nappy! Wee wee!" Interspersed with crying when I told her it was time to put a nappy back on. So now I'm wondering whether I need to change tact. Do I try actively to train her? How do I even do that? She goes to childcare Monday and Friday, which I'll need to consider in any plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This sounds like what DD1 did. We'd been sitting her on a potty since 6m and had left it available all the time and by the time she was just over 1 she would potter over to it and ask to use it (point etc).
    Anyway, by 14m she was mostly running round the house starkers but by 16/17m she really started fighting us when we tried to put nappies on her. My honest opinion is that we should have gone with it and left the nappies off (I was very pregnant with no2 though and that didn't help!!).
    As it was, I think we confused the living ****e out of her by encouraging potty use and then demanding she use nappies too =/ Anyway, FF several months of fighting and she was having more accidents than she'd had in ages so we just gave up on day nappies. She's now nearly 4 and has been out of nappies for over 2 years.

I think that they are all ready at different times (my little boy is just over 2 and nowhere near ready - interested, but no clue - for example) and if she is acting like she wants to TT then go with it!! Grab the opportunity while it's there and work with her while she *wants* to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Go with it! Both my older girls were TT by 17/18mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is now almost 2.5yrs and we've just kept a no nappy on at home routine. She now takes herself to the toilet whenever she needs to go, even has her day sleeps without a nappy. We haven't got to the stage of going out or night sleeps nappy free but we certainly haven't pushed 'toilet training'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to caketin For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it. We just kept it relaxed. DD was toilet trained for poos at 19 months and out of nappies at 23 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes 2 of my children "self-trained" by 2 yrs. Super interested in using the toilet ( we've never had potties) and cracked it if put a nappy on. I let them run half naked at home for the first few months...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely go with her cues! It must be a girl thing, my daughter pretty much trained herself by 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it! My little girl stunned us all by being toilet trained by 14 months. We were adamant that she was too young and surely it wasn't the proper cues, but she was ready. My son was a bit later than that but we just waited for the same cues and gave them the options - plus running around starkers (them obviously!) is a great help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for it. Our dd showed interest at 19 mths. And now at 20 mths we have gone nappy free at home for 3 weeks now with all poo's in the loo and most wees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd almost forgotten I started this thread! Thanks for the replies everyone. Three weeks on and we're still in a similar place. Dd asks to sit on the potty whenever her nappy is changed so I'm rolling with that. If we're staying home and she doesn't want her nappy back on then we just leave it off until she's ready. Yesterday she asked to poo on the potty so I definitely think she's showing signs of readiness. We're going away for Christmas and then I have a week off at home, so my plan is to try nappy free at home once we're back. We'll see what happens. 😊