+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Getting breastfed bub to take bottle of EBM?

I'm looking for some advice about how to help bub take a bottle of EBM. My DD is 4.5 months old and is exclusively breastfed, she was born 4 weeks early and was in neonatal care for 2 weeks. She required nasogastric tube feeding for about 12 days - first with formula then breastmilk when it came in. She was required to bottle-feed to be discharged so she could *just* take a bottle then. We didn't persevere with that as we wanted to focus on my breastfeeding.
    I have always fed with a nipple shield due to her inability to latch/suck. I thought that might help us with using a bottle as she's not direct on the breast but it hasn't helped in that regard. Every time we've tried to get her to take a bottle of EBM the past couple of months she refuses. We've tried medela, avent and bottles/teats from the neonatal unit. I'm feeding 2-3 hourly during the day.
    I've just found out I've got a childcare spot from feb. 11 weeks away. I'll only put her in 2-3 hours twice a week and I know she may be feeding less by then (7 months old) but I'd like her to be able to take s bottle of needed. We usually get my DH to try with the bottle with me not around. Does anyone have any advice about how to encourage her to take a bottle? Steps to follow? Bottle recommendations? She's a pretty steadfast little thing. I bought a closer to nature first sips sippy cup on the weekend for her to play with in the hope that she may suck on it so I've been putting a bit of milk in there but no luck yet I'll keep trying with that but anything else I can do? Thanks in advance 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find medala the best in terms of replicating a nipple, avent are too wide at the base. Are you teasing her with a bit of milk on her lips? Then try touching the bottle in a single motion from top lip to bottom lip, do this a few times until she opens her mouth widely, then put the bottle in whilst her mouth is wide. This was advice we had from our lactation consultant.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just go straight to a cup. You can cup feed babies.

We used medela calma here under 4mths and then a sippy cup.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My advice would be to go with the Medela and just persist, persist, persist!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Just go straight to a cup. You can cup feed babies.

We used medela calma here under 4mths and then a sippy cup.
    I'm a bit naive about this - do you mean an open cup or like a sippy cup with a lid?
    This is the sippy cup I got: ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1447670111.281355.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant a cup as in a cup you can drink out of or a shotglass Or a syringe. When dd2 was hospitalized and was too weak to breastfeed properly, I used a shot glass to give her EBM. I didn't want to risk using a bottle and having her prefer it to the boob.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-11-2015),misskittyfantastico  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw- some sippy cups have an inhibitor in the lid to stopthe milk free flowing out. When getting babies to use them I lose the inhibitor so that milk does flow out otherwise I find my kids get grumpy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I meant a cup as in a cup you can drink out of or a shotglass Or a syringe. When dd2 was hospitalized and was too weak to breastfeed properly, I used a shot glass to give her EBM. I didn't want to risk using a bottle and having her prefer it to the boob.
    My MIL and my Gran both cup fed with a small glass cup from six months and I found it intriguing so I introduced an open cup (I hold it) when I started solids with my three, along with sippy cups and they were all confident with an open cup by twelve months.
    I do love the Medelas as a bottle option though but again - long time since I've had a little one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had two bubs that never, ever took a bottle (even after external help from Ngala). I had to exclusively BF til 6mths then used a sippy cup. I found the cheap, brightly coloured "disposable" cups from BigW to be the simplest and best. No valve, no fancy bit? Just simple sacking required. From 6mths if my bubs were going to care it was a sippy cup....or nothing. My DD was so stubborn she just didn't have milk in the 6 hrs I worked..just some water and solids. I BF her on drop off and pick up and she survived just fine.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD never took a bottle either, she started daycare at 9.5mths and just went without breastmilk while there 2 days a week

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post: