+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Postpartum depression support groups - Sydney

I'm not a mum... I'm just here to try & support my good friend as best I can as she deals with being a new mum. (with her loving but just as frustrated husband by her side)

After coming 2 weeks early, an unexpected c-section and not being able to breast feed plus feeding issues/reflux & endless crying... my friend is having real problems bonding with her son.. to the point that she admitted to me in confidence that she would be fine without him.

I understand that PND is very normal and her feelings may change as they grow together, but for now I want to provide as many options as possible to help her through these really tough times.

What I'm looking for are suggestions of Sydney (pref inner) support groups where she can talk to other mothers with the same feelings & see that its ok to be feeling this way... they can get through this.

Any help would be most appreciated - thanks.
    Last edited by snurfna; 16-11-2015 at 19:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by snurfna View Post
    I'm not a mum... I'm just here to try & support my good friend as best I can as she deals with being a new mum. (with her loving but just as frustrated husband by her side)

After coming 2 weeks early, an unexpected c-section and not being able to breast feed plus feeding issues/reflux & endless crying... my friend is having real problems bonding with her son.. to the point that she admitted to me in confidence that she would be fine without him.

I understand that PND is very normal and her feelings may change as they grow together, but for now I want to provide as many options as possible to help her through these really tough times.

What I'm looking for are suggestions of Sydney (pref inner) support groups where she can talk to other mothers with the same feelings & see that its ok to be feeling this way... they can get through this.

Any help would be most appreciated - thanks.
    Hi there, good on you for looking out for her. Has she got a mothers group that she's been connected with through her early childhood centre? That could be a good place to start, as it's not uncommon to struggle in the early days and in finding a group she might see that plenty of other women struggle.

How old is her baby? There is a big turnaround at 6-8 weeks and again at 12 weeks where the baby makes some big developmental leaps and interacts more and that can help with Bonding.

If sleep is an issue, get her on the phone with Tresillian, advice over the phone is free and she can get a GP referral to go stay there.

Likewise a GP can help refer for
    Psychological support including St John of God Burwood which has a very well respected Mums and Bubs PND ward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I'm also happy to chat via private message but you need to make a minimum of five posts i think before I can send you a message...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @snurfa
    Well done for reaching out on her behalf. I suffered from a bit of PND and found that the pragmatism offered by my more weathered mummy friends helped a lot. One came to visit me in the hospital and said it was OK if I didn't bond after my caesar and that it was perfectly normal. It's a complete head spin having a baby and nearly 5mths in I'm besotted with my DD but still have days where the thought of another day without any time to myself really gets me down.

She will definitely get the most benefit from real human contact with other mums at the same stage tho. Mothers group as @ScubaGal said is a good start.
    Alternatively here online is a great place to vent those feelings she maybe too embarrassed to mention in real life.

I actually posted at 3 weeks post partum as I loved my baby but really wasn't enjoying being a mum. Some of the responses I got were really supportive so here is the thread. Maybe you can print and sharer with her? http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=544037

I also can vouch that that at 8 weeks a lot falls into place. Bubs starts smiling, feeding stops being so painful and you can drive again after the op.

One day at a time and tell her to smell her baby's head when she feels like she wants to throw him out a window. It releases 'reward' hormones so have a good whiff too!

Best of luck x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (16-11-2015)