+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! Adult Tonsillectomy Query....

My big boy (ahem.....husband) is having his tonsils removed on Tuesday and is frrrreaking out about it!! He's doing all of this googling about it and finding stories of people saying that it's an op that is no biggie as a child but excruciating as an adult to recover from? He even showed me something on the net where a lady said that the recovery was way way worse than her cesarean....cue husband turning a little grey....🙄

Have you had yours out as an adult and do you have any wiz-bang tips on how to get through the recovery? How was the recovery for you and how long until you started to feel better?

Cheers 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Dd had her out at 16. She recovered well. Overnight in hospital as she was the last one done that day. Eating well the next day. Stitches bleed one and annoyed her a bit but over all it was a no biggy.

Oh she had 2 days off school.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not going to lie. I had mine out at 18 and it was excruciating pain for two weeks. I just recommend you keep up pain relief, have plenty of icey poles and be very sympathetic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had mine out at 20. No lies the pain was awful. Couldnt even swallow my pain tablets was instead having giant syringes of childrens night time pain stop.

Lost 7kg in a week & a half as swallowing anything was painful and walked a fine line on dehydration.

Slept lots and mostly wanted to be left alone.

Sorry im not painting a pretty picture

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Adult Tonsillectomy Query....

Yep I had to sleep a lot just to have a break from the pain.

However, I have to say it was totally worth it! I was constantly sick with tonsillitis and taking huge amounts of antibiotics and taking time of school. Since the Op I have barely been ill and that was 15 years ago.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out at 21. It was my first time in hospital. First day I was completely off my face on morphine and can't remember much, stayed one night in hospital and fine to go home the next day. I didn't find the recovery bad at all after that - just remember gargling with mouth wash to keep my throat clean. I was out clubbing a week later.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had mine out at 14 (but I'm classing it as an adult as I was the size I am now!). I won't lie, it was tough. I was really ordinary for at least a week. Could barely swallow for about 4 days. I think my painkillers were mersyndol forte. I remember having to break them into quarters to get them down.

I just wanted cold things to sip or ice cubes to suck. Mum was making me eat, things like scrambled egg, soup, mashed potato etc. Only small amounts at a time.

Good luck. Best thing was I recovered and the tonsillectomy was a good move.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine out in June. It was hell. By far the most pain I have ever been in. The pain doesn't hit until a few days post op, but is excruciating for a week or so. Then when you feel you can't continue it suddenly improves. Ive had a 4th degree tear and a c section and neither came close in terms of pain. I'd still do it again though as I was on antibiotics every couple of months due to tonsillitis.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my... I feel really bad, don't want to scare your hubby. I was 19 and would have loved to roll over and die the next day. Worst pain I have ever been in my entire life and I've given birth and an episiotomy. I lost over 5kgs and didn't eat for at least a week. Had to keep a bowl bedside as I couldn't even swallow the saliva I was producing. Then on day 3 I thought my ears were going to explode. Had to get my mum to iron hanker Chiefs hot and wrap them around my ears, that helped a little. All the best to your husband. It is good after all i don't get tonsillitis anywhere near as often as I used to. Hope he recovers quickly (for you sake too 😉)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to popsicles For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coming in behind everyone else and saying sorry but it bloody hurts! I had mine at 21 and OMG child birth was a dream next to it. Definitely keep up his pain medication expect to be on them for a good few weeks. Even if he is feeling better take paracetamol regularly as well as some kind of strong killers. I started with tramadol which did nothing then switched to endone which was a bit better.

have lots of cold liquids, gargle constantly, the more you eat and swallow the better he will recover I was told not to delay eating solids for more than a day and it did help it get much better quicker. Expect to feel like you've been hit by a truck and watch for infection.

A family friend took mine out and I am very glad I got it done I was constantly sick with them and I have rarely been sick since. Good luck hope he goes well

ps just wanted to add my surgeon said the pain peaks about day 5-7 and then it just gets heaps better but like a PP said you feel like you want it all to end around then.
    Last edited by Soon2be4; 16-11-2015 at 06:54.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (16-11-2015)