+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Water birth at Mater

It was available in June 2015. Not sure if it still is. I was planning on having one but transferred to another hospital at the last minute. To have one I think you needed to sign a consent for the birth to be included in a study or something.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 15-11-2015 at 20:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was part of the water birth study in Feb 15. As far as I am aware they are now offering it ....the study has ended and the outcomes were favourable. A friend just gave birth there 2 weeks ago and had a full water birth.

ETA but of course you should ring them directly to confirm!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks so much!!! How did you find it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Honestly? I was underwhelmed by it and don't think I got any particular benefit from it. My first birth (not a water birth) with DD1 was so much better. However, I'm pretty sure all this came down to the fact that DD2 came so fast that I didn't get time to 'enjoy' the water. My first pain of any sort was at 7 pm. She was born at 9.30 pm! I was in the bath for about 30 minutes and I think I was in transition from the moment I hopped in... So horrific, take your breath away, body-splitting pain the whole time! My waters broke about 1 minute before she was born, and there was meconium in them (gross!) so she was whipped away for a quick check over quite quickly .... I didn't get the long, lovely newborn cuddles in the bath water!
    One thing they didn't tell me about it until I was in the bath (completely overwhelmed with transition contractions) was that a water birth is a 'hands off' affair, with the midwife not assisting in guiding the baby out.... I was meant to pull baby out and up to me myself. I felt a bit nervous about doing this. As it turned out the meconium in the waters meant that the midwife did assist in bringing baby through my legs and up to my chest ( I birthed her with my head and arms over the bath edge, so had to very awkwardly step over the cord to sit back down against the back of the bath!). The 'hands off' nature of it also meant that the midwife couldn't apply counter-pressure to the perineum to assist with preventing tearing (which, again, I didn't know until I was in the pool).
    I ended up with a second degree tear and 6 weeks of agonising lower back and hip pain...... Mostly to do with the shock of a very fast birth though.
    On the other hand my friend who had her water birth recently at Mater had a much more pleasant experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Ouch! I'm expecting a fast labour next time. My first was 6 hours from first contraction to her being born. I tore with her.