+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help! Lol

So just a little advice needed. I swear all I'm doing is saying no and wanting to pull my hair out!
    DS is 21 months. We all eat together every night (sometimes Dp isn't home due to work but we try) DS is either eating everything on his plate or eating next to nothing and throwing his plate, his fork and his cup around. We take everything off him and he then wants to eat so we give him it back and he will eat a small amount and throw it again. I'm over it! What would you do in the situation? Throw it once that's it? Or keep trying? Like tonight... Chicken, vegetables and potato. He ate the potato and threw his plate away.

Also, he is really rough with his toys. Not to the point of breaking them but he's throwing them. Like picking up his trike and throwing it. Picking up his lawn mower and throwing it. We take anything he throws and put in the spare room where he can't have it and tell him 'no, we don't throw toys' but he just laughs and goes off to something else.

He's hitting the terrible twos already. He's making me wonder what I did wrong in the past to deserve such a feral child 😳
    Don't get me wrong I love DS but oh my god where did this demon child come from?! He's mean! He hits, throws toys, refuses to eat, yells and screams. I want to pull my hair out!
    Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look at 123 magic, I rate it highly. And in the case of throwing things, I'd be persistent with removing anything that is thrown and know that he won't be a demon forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    Have a look at 123 magic, I rate it highly. And in the case of throwing things, I'd be persistent with removing anything that is thrown and know that he won't be a demon forever
    Thank you. I will 😀
    It's like he is absolute nuts lately! Like he runs riot! He is so full of energy, it's been terrible here and he hasn't been able to play outside , just rain all day. But even when he plays outside and he comes back in he is pretty much running laps around me and Dp.
    Haha, I'll keep telling myself it won't last forever lol hes just insane lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Lol

If anyone has some indoor activities for a toddler who just runs and runs and isn't interested in crafts. We get a little bit of colouring or drawing but that's it, I'd really appreciate the ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=Hasselhoff;8335938]If anyone has some indoor activities for a toddler who just runs and runs and isn't interested in crafts. We get a little bit of colouring or drawing but that's it, I'd really appreciate the ideas.[/QUOTE

One thing i tried with my dd at that age was some paint in a ziplock bag (i put it in two just in case) then they can move the paint around and play without the mess and you can grab it out when needed. It kept the interest for a minute or two
    Tunnels and tents are also big winners.
    Have you tried play doh?
    I have a ds 19mths and going through the same things! We are currently visiting a new park every morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Throwing food is totally normal. My son did it for a while too around that age. He got over it eventually. I wouldn't take his food away if he's still hungry. Just give him smaller portions so there is less mess, then when he eats that give him some more. He'll get over it eventually.
    Being rough with toys wouldn't really worry me either to be honest. Kids can be rough. They are still learning and figuring out how things work. He's not being deliberately naughty. That's just what they do.
    He doesn't sound "feral" to me at all. Just a normal little boy.

If it's any consolation I have found that all the 'feral' behaviours, hitting/tantrums/etc from my son have almost disappeared as he has learned how to communicate better. It's hard sometimes but I think you just have to ride it out and keep being patient with them.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds is like this (almost 22 months). It's usually him trying to communicate something. We find he usually throws his plate etc when he has had enough/bored, or when he wants us to help him eat or he is thirsty.

He throws toys when he is tired or wants attention. Childcare have had a similar problem so they have gotten him to throw bean bags. We also have some balls that we can play with together.

You could try turning on some music and dancing, piggie back rides, peekaboo/hide n seek style games to use up a bit of energy. Or get him to "help" with what you are doing (putting things away in drawers, rubbish in bin, sweeping, dishes, load washing machine etc) - ds wants to join in with everything at the moment.

Your ds isn't feral and you haven't done anything wrong. At this age they struggle with communication but can understand well and are becoming more independent. Try to avoid overreacting if you can - I find ds will do things more if he knows it gets your attention. At this age any attention is good, even if you are upset with them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is magic 123? Please

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Purple Poppy;8335952]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    If anyone has some indoor activities for a toddler who just runs and runs and isn't interested in crafts. We get a little bit of colouring or drawing but that's it, I'd really appreciate the ideas.[/QUOTE

One thing i tried with my dd at that age was some paint in a ziplock bag (i put it in two just in case) then they can move the paint around and play without the mess and you can grab it out when needed. It kept the interest for a minute or two
    Tunnels and tents are also big winners.
    Have you tried play doh?
    I have a ds 19mths and going through the same things! We are currently visiting a new park every morning
    Thanks I will try it 😀 he's never interested when I try so this might be something different.
    We have a tunnel that he plays with inside. It's usually only good enough if the cat is playing with him lol
    I have tried it but not recently. Might give it another go 😀 thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Throwing food is totally normal. My son did it for a while too around that age. He got over it eventually. I wouldn't take his food away if he's still hungry. Just give him smaller portions so there is less mess, then when he eats that give him some more. He'll get over it eventually.
    Being rough with toys wouldn't really worry me either to be honest. Kids can be rough. They are still learning and figuring out how things work. He's not being deliberately naughty. That's just what they do.
    He doesn't sound "feral" to me at all. Just a normal little boy.

If it's any consolation I have found that all the 'feral' behaviours, hitting/tantrums/etc from my son have almost disappeared as he has learned how to communicate better. It's hard sometimes but I think you just have to ride it out and keep being patient with them.
    Thank you. That is reassuring. His language skills are still developing. He doesn't speak very much so I'm sure they will change. I might look at making his meals smaller and seeing what he does with it. He just seems particularly crazy with everything lately. He spits food out constantly. Even food he likes. Eat one bit put another bit in his mouth and chew and spit it out. That's very annoying lol.
    I think it just seems so much worse to me at the moment because he is usually good and well behaved. Lately he just seems to be pushing every button and he knows it.