+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Camping- what do you sleep on?

We are sporadic campers but we enjoy it when we go. The bed situation is taxing though ! ( perhaps it's just us?!) I'm looking for suggestions, bright ideas or inventive solutions.
    We have an 8yr old and a 5yr old and I recently saved on FB a picture of multiple pillows seen together to form a version of a gold out couch/bed for the little ones, but what about for adults?
    We have tried airbeds of all varieties and they always seem to deflate through the night, and self inflating camp mattresses which honestly don't inflate too much. Both of these are ok for a few nights but not good for longer stays. Any help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We bought sleep systems (http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Out...em/m-9963.aspx)

They come in single too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try pumping up the mattress once it cools down at night. When it cools down, the air contracts and that's why your air bed goes down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would love a camper trailer with a nice big King innerspring pillow top mattress.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trio For This Useful Post:

spotsmum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We sleep on dual self inflating with foam in them. They are super comfy but take up a lot of room in car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We slept on an air mattress for years. Now we have a camper trailer and are using the innerspring king mattress that came with it but it is wayyy to hard. We're going to change to foam mattresses in it before our next trip. Love my camper trailer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a camper trailer with a king size mattress, it's really comfy. The boys have camper beds. We have a tent as well which we still use often depending on where we are going camping and we have air mattresses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spotsmum View Post
    The bed situation is taxing though ! ( perhaps it's just us?!)
    Agreed!

We have air mattresses. I am a fussy sleeper though, so I found them uncomfortable. I put an egg crate foam thingy on top. But of course this all takes up a lot of room in the car and 4x air mattresses take a lot of hassle to inflate/deflate.
    So now I save those for the longer trips.

For weekends, I have just started using bed rolls, as my boys happily use them for Scouts. But I'm not comfortable on them either. This weekend I put those foam mats (like what you put in your tent doorway) underneath and then my bed roll on top, which was slightly better but still not great. However they are so quick and convenient.

I've used stretchers as well but they are sooo bulky to fold up, plus they're not greatly comfortable either. And I worry about them damaging tent floors.

So basically, I am no help. But will be eagerly reading replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm a cub leader so get subjected to camp sleeping from time to time my preference is a camper trailer/camper van off the ground for personal camping . But I have a few different options that I use for different times, I have a jumbo single dune mat that is self inflating to 12cm thick foam and that's really comfy, I also have a very comfortable sleeping bag which adds to that( it's an oz tent bag rated to -10 because I get cold easily and it's not shiny matey but more like canvass with fleece lining) I also have a stretcher that I put a self inflating 4wd mat on top of if I want to be off the ground for longer trips. I've been toying with the idea of a Coleman big sky bed for a while as I've laid on it at the camping shop and found it quite pleasant to lay on and it's lower than my giant stretcher which is better for me being short.
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 15-11-2015 at 14:58.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have stretchers (you can use as singles or put together with velcro straps for a double). We then have a thick 4wd drive self inflating mattress, works much better than air mattresses!