+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Homework- we opt out until year 5...but two of my kids started of their own accord before then.
    However, we do do readers until they get to levels where they are essentially a chapter in a book and then we just switch to books (year 1-2 depending on how fast the individual child picked it up).
    It is so easy to re-inforce what a child is learning in kindergaten without filling out worksheets.
    Eg- asking them to write out shopping lists, christmas wish lists, birhday wish lists, letters to family members that you can post with a picture, asking your child how you spell a word when you are writing something down (our kids got a spelling list each week so I'd do it with those words)...spelling bees in the car with the same words (they get to quiz you on any word they want as well), and adding up letterbox numbers on walks. But if you want to sit down and do the homework sheets, one of my friend's has an early riser so homework gets done before school while the child is fresh.
    Also...make lunches the night before...makes life easier of a morning!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think they let us opt out of homework? But they did say kindy is just home readers and sight words?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes doing lunch the night before I'll definitely be doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't think they let us opt out of homework? But they did say kindy is just home readers and sight words?
    When I say opt out I mean I go to the teacher each year and tell them we won't be doing homework, but if my child falls behind their peers in any subject to let me know. It's not a 'system' as such, just me doing my own research and deciding against homework for my family. It's never been an issue....but we also hand selected a school that suited our philosophies as well...I imagine some other schools would be more put out by my 'no homework' stance, but at the end of the day I'm the parent, not them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter is in kindy this year, her teacher is amazing and has more control over the 17kids than I do my 2 ha! They are in such a great routine im in awe.
    I make sandwiches/wraps/banana bread etc in bulk on Sunday and freeze. I also freeze squeezy yogurts. No fridge her her class so being frozen helps keep them that bit fresher.
    I leave for work at 6:30-7am and DH does drop off pick up so I prep what I can in advance.
    Home readers are done nightly or morning if we have time.
    I have a "school" cupboard in the hall so everything school related goes there.
    Uniforms, bags, shoes, pin board for flyers, white board for reminders, pockets for library books etc.
    Means there is no up and down stairs multiple times in the rush to leave the house.
    He sounds excited, which is great.
    DH & I took day 1 off work. Dropped of then went to cinema, had a lovely lunch then back for pick up

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exciting!! I have a DS who started kindy this year. Such an amazing time in all your lives!!! I cried my little eyes out on his first day... while he was happy to see the back of me! Now I'm ready to cry again thinking my baby is almost done with kindy & will be off to year 1 soon!!

It does seem really overwhelming at first, but honestly within a few weeks you get into the rhythm of things & it all just becomes second nature. At first I wrote so many things in my diary so I wouldn't forget stuff like banking days, sports days, news days etc - but now it's all well and truly in my head!! 

Our school works a little differently with fruit at 10am, then lunch is next at 11:30am & recess is later at 2pm. You obviously know your DS best & whether he'd be starving by fruit break. I know my DS is completely fine from breakky to fruit (and then to lunch etc). Just a few things we did/didn't do...

-We didnt need to give up any after school activities - he was fine to keep going (swimming for example). He doesn't complain about being tired (besides his hand being sore from all the writing!).
    -Keep everything labeled. We must be pretty rare though as DS is yet to lose even one item (clothes, lunch box, drink bottle..).. he is pretty pedantic with his things though.
    -If you have the time, get involved with things like reading groups etc. My DS enjoys seeing me floating around the school.. for now!!!  😒
    -We get home from school, he has an afternoon snack, homework - then he can do as he pleases. In winter we swap it around & do homework later so he can play outside while it's still light out.

You'll find your family's best way of doing things and what works for you. You'll also build some great friendships with the other parents... truly a special time for your family ☺

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeHasCome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'll have to have some kind of coming home from school system/routine worked out about emptying his bag, lunchbox in the sink , hat and bag on the rack and clothes /socks put in the wash - for those with boys how many shirts/shorts/socks did you buy? They recommended 3 shirts, 3 socks and 2 shorts so that's what I got

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive got one DD at school and the 2nd starts next year.

I found as long as they have breakfast they are totally fine till fruitbreak then recess & lunch etc.
    not much different to the meal times at daycare/preschool really.

As for after school activities i took the advise of not scheduling anything but my mid term 1 my Dd was begging for activities so we started dancing & gymnastics and she loved it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTimeHasCome View Post
    How exciting!! I have a DS who started kindy this year. Such an amazing time in all your lives!!! I cried my little eyes out on his first day... while he was happy to see the back of me! Now I'm ready to cry again thinking my baby is almost done with kindy & will be off to year 1 soon!!

It does seem really overwhelming at first, but honestly within a few weeks you get into the rhythm of things & it all just becomes second nature. At first I wrote so many things in my diary so I wouldn't forget stuff like banking days, sports days, news days etc - but now it's all well and truly in my head!! 

Our school works a little differently with fruit at 10am, then lunch is next at 11:30am & recess is later at 2pm. You obviously know your DS best & whether he'd be starving by fruit break. I know my DS is completely fine from breakky to fruit (and then to lunch etc). Just a few things we did/didn't do...

-We didnt need to give up any after school activities - he was fine to keep going (swimming for example). He doesn't complain about being tired (besides his hand being sore from all the writing!).
    -Keep everything labeled. We must be pretty rare though as DS is yet to lose even one item (clothes, lunch box, drink bottle..).. he is pretty pedantic with his things though.
    -If you have the time, get involved with things like reading groups etc. My DS enjoys seeing me floating around the school.. for now!!!  😒
    -We get home from school, he has an afternoon snack, homework - then he can do as he pleases. In winter we swap it around & do homework later so he can play outside while it's still light out.

You'll find your family's best way of doing things and what works for you. You'll also build some great friendships with the other parents... truly a special time for your family ☺
    I like how you have lunch first then recess! One of the new kindy mums is the head of the parents auxiliary ( she has other kids at the school) and she's already recruited me to help which I'm actually looking forward too! They said they need parent volunteers for reading, excursions and Mother's Day stall type things which I can be available for

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

TheTimeHasCome  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think I'll have to have some kind of coming home from school system/routine worked out about emptying his bag, lunchbox in the sink , hat and bag on the rack and clothes /socks put in the wash - for those with boys how many shirts/shorts/socks did you buy? They recommended 3 shirts, 3 socks and 2 shorts so that's what I got
    We have 3 shirts, 3 shorts and 10 pairs of socks (socks go missing!) and that has been hard enough to keep up with, even though I do washing almost everyday! Because I'm going to be working next year I'm going for 5 of each.
    My DS1 has 2 lots of breakfast, usually DH makes him toast or banana smoothie at 6am, then I will make him something else (often porridge) at about 8 before we leave. He doesn't eat much at school though but now we're at the end of prep I've noticed I can pack something extra and he will usually eat it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post: