+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tell me about Kindergarten !

So DS starts school next year ! ( NSW kindergarten which is first year of school) and we just had 2 orientation sessions which was great and DS seemed to love it , it's all new to me so id love to hear how your child's kindy year was and what their routines were and any tips you may have!

we spent the 2 sessions with the principal who just went through the school policy's etc and he said we have 2 classes of 20 kids in each class with a teacher and full time aide , he said first term is exhausting for them so try not to schedule any after school activities for them as they will be too tired

School starts 8.45 and finishes at 3pm ( most of the kids in the infant school get there at 8.30 according to other mothers so they have a 15 min play before school starts )

Fruit break is 10am
    Recess 11-11.25am
    Lunch 12.30-1.10pm

I thought the recess was a bit late at 11 considering DS will have brekky around 7am so I'm thinking I'll take a yogurt or make a smoothie for him to drink in the car on the way to school?

How did your child cope in their first week and more importantly how did you cope!!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-11-2015 at 08:46.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tell me about Kindergarten !

Congrats on your little man starting kinder, it's very exciting!
    DS started this year (prep in Victoria) and here's what I found:

He ate very very little for quite a while- probably 2 terms- because he got too distracted by his friends. So he was starving by the end of the day and very tired. My tip for food would be to send things that are as easy as possible to eat. I couldn't believe I'd become one of 'those' mums, but I chopped everything into really easy portions (carrot sticks, pre- peeled and portioned mandarin, pre peeled hard boiled egg, etc) and also made sure that everything in his lunchbox would last till 3.30 because that's when it was eaten!

They do get very exhausted in term 1- I've also found that he's exhausted the couple of weeks before term holidays and also for a few days when he goes back as he adjusts to being back at school. That said, mine is a boy who likes a LOT of sleep so he may get exhausted more than most

Oh and one last thing- do a bag check before leaving the school in the afternoon- DS was constantly forgetting his hat/jacket/drink bottle etc and if we left the school without it, it was highly unlikely that it was ever coming back.

ETA the biggest thing that was different for me was having to race out the door at work to pick him up. Unlike child care where I could go whenever, I now have to be there at 3.30 on the dot (preps have to be picked up from their classrooms at our school- grade 1 they can go out to the playground on their own till 3.45 as there is a teacher on duty). So it's made the afternoons a fair bit more stressful as I can't duck to the shops first or go home and do a bit of dinner prep or get changed- I have to drag the kids around everywhere with me.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 14-11-2015 at 13:56.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (14-11-2015),Gracie's Mum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following 😊 my DD starts prep next year too. She has only done 2 days at Kindy so going from 2 days to 5 days is going to be a big change. Her school starts at 8.15 and finishes at 2.45. I have no idea how I am going to get her up every day, she loves a sleep in and doesn't go to Kindy until 9.30! We have just started our transition days too and she loved it. Its all very exciting but a little bit sad at the same time. I'm going to miss my little buddy so much. She has been my whole life for 5 years. Think I will be the one in tears!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (15-11-2015),Elijahs Mum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    Following 😊 my DD starts prep next year too. She has only done 2 days at Kindy so going from 2 days to 5 days is going to be a big change. Her school starts at 8.15 and finishes at 2.45. I have no idea how I am going to get her up every day, she loves a sleep in and doesn't go to Kindy until 9.30! We have just started our transition days too and she loved it. Its all very exciting but a little bit sad at the same time. I'm going to miss my little buddy so much. She has been my whole life for 5 years. Think I will be the one in tears!!!!
    DS keeps saying " mum don't you cry when I go to big school cause I promise I'll come home to you everyday "
    He's excited and I'm the sad one!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-11-2015),Gracie's Mum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS keeps saying " mum don't you cry when I go to big school cause I promise I'll come home to you everyday "
    He's excited and I'm the sad one!
    Omg that is beautiful! I know DD won't even give me a second thought once she is there. She will love it so much. Seeing them grow up is incredible but gosh it can make you sad too. I am also having a new baby soon so I almost feel like I am replacing DD? Its a strange and completely deranged feeling. Hoping that we will all adjust to our new normal 😊 Our children are way more ready for it than we are lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was more overwhelmed at orientation than he was! it was quite surreal thinking this is a new chapter in our lives that will be 13 years long , totally new environment , new friends for him and us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think he needs a yoghurt or smoothie on the way to school...he gets fruit break at 10am, and then recess at 11, and then lunch at 12. He'll be fine!
    Kindergarten is exhausting...any scheduled activities that are a must to attend (eg. Swimming lessons) schedule early in the week, and any non essential activities cancel for the first term We had to have slower paced weekends for a while so that our kids could recharge.
    Don't use expensive containers/lunch boxes etc....they get lost and don't come back.
    You learn very fast how short a school day is and will be dictated by that 3pm bell every day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had every Wednesday off for the first term. She was absolutely exhausted. Fruit break at 10 sounds great, I personally don't think he'll need anything on the way but just be guided by him. They are absolutely starving at 3pm!

We did swimming and dance after school and in hindsight we should have stopped dance and just did swimming. Even now, she's only 4 weeks from the end of grade 1 now and she's still absolutely exhausted after school.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and homework... try a few different routines for homework that suit you and him best. For us, she eats as soon as we get home and then straight into homework. Her best friend is the total opposite and does homework after dinner just before bed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is in Kindy this year.. I would suggest:
    -Label everything and buy spares of hats, drink bottles, jumpers etc
    -Have DS practice using his lunch box, zippers on jumpers, school shoes etc
    -Pack spare shorts,socks,undies if he still has an occasional accident
    - Get on the school's Facebook site and Apps etc as you need to stay on tops of notes, last minute cancelled excursions etc
    - write a list with pictures of the steps he needs to do each morning as mornings can get pretty chaotic!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post: