+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hosting Xmas - hints and tips!

With roast veg you can blanch it all & freeze weeks before, freeze in ziplock bags to save space, it's so easy & can't tell they have been frozen at all.

I'm from a big family so used to hosting masses of people.

With your windows could you open them and drape material over the curtains instead? I post a pic of what i mean, and add fairy lights? They'll look nice over the top of dark material .

Just try to as much as you can in the days before & make sure you do all your presenting wrapping early, not something you want to be doing Christmas Eve when you have so much to do!

Also do your non-perishable shop now, drinks aswell, spread the expense into this month.
    Last edited by AmyEL; 15-11-2015 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Talking about timings- Does anyone remember the show The Royle Family- they had some very funny Xmas episodes including one where she got the timing wrong with the turkey. OMG hilarious. I think everyone ended up with a Xmas dinner of packet soup and lots of alcohol.
    I remember there was a Xmas day marathon of that show once, so funny!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL cooks the roast weeks before and slices and freezes in metal tray in gravy and heats it while she is cooking veg on the day. Also you can buy skin for crackling seperate and just cook on the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely make lists. And lots of them!

We hosted last year for the first time for 12 people. Everyone was given food to bring, so that helped cut down on the work. I still did the bulk because that's what I do, but the family all help out so that was good!

My tips would be to set up the room/table the day before. I decorated the dining room during the week but with cleaning glassware, doing the settings etc, it took me about an hour to do the table to my satisfaction!
    Do your veg the night before so you're not spending ages peeling in the morning.
    Make anything you can the day/s before - salad, pav, custard, etc and just decorate them on the day.
    Cut up fruit etc that won't go brown the day before.
    Pretty much do all you can the day before!!!!
    Shop early to spread the cost and make sure you get everything you need. Especially things like cream - the shops here always seem to run out!
    Make sure you have enough fridge space, esky' sand ice for drinks etc
    Check you have enough oven space and make sure to note down timings so you're not trying to remember when everything went in.
    Use the BBQ where you can.
    Don't forget to allocate about an hour to open presents with your kids in the morning
    And most of all, remember to have fun!

Even with doing what we could most of the day before, were still up until about 11pm doing prep, decorating, present wrapping (which I stupidly kept putting off!!) and then up early in the morning to get things started.

By the time our guests arrived, we were all sorted and under control so I could relax, have a drink and we opened all the presents. I had to flit in and out to put things in the oven and check on things, but I wasn't out working while everyone was having fun. It was a good day. We spent the afternoon chatting while the kids played and it was just nice to be home and not racing around. Can't wait to do it again!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did a Christmas dinner for 50 people a three years ago. Did it buffet style with food served indoors and everyone Sat outside under the patio/marquee outside. I hired tables/chairs for both adults and kids. Bought cheap Christmas fabric and used it as table cloths and a complementary fabric as table runners. Allocated a few families to salads and others to desserts and others drinks ie wine/punch etc. I did a baked ham, roast pork, bbq fish and a lawge quiche. DH made his usual ice cream meringue cake and I did my tiramisu. Dessert was a buffet too.

Every child got a home made gingerbread man as a party favour.

Drinks was self serve too with a bucket for wine, another for beer and kids had a bucket for them with poppers, ice blocks and water bottles.

Then after dinner we played a few games ie charades, my brother played a few tunes before we got into the mood for terrible karaoke.

It was fun! Started at 6pm. Ended at 2am when we ran out of wine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did my first Christmas lunch last year at 36 weeks pregnant lol! I delegated lots and borrowed and extra slow cooker - I did two roasts in the slow cookers and one in the Webber then roast veg in the oven.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lese82 View Post
    My MIL cooks the roast weeks before and slices and freezes in metal tray in gravy and heats it while she is cooking veg on the day. Also you can buy skin for crackling seperate and just cook on the day.
    Wow. Now THAT is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hosting Xmas - hints and tips!

I've hosted a few Xmas lunches now (one when DD was only 5 weeks old and we had about 20 ppl). Some things I found made my life a lot easier:

- manage expectations!
    - delegate eg everyone brings a salad or dessert while you do the meat
    - if warm, just do a big ham and other cold meats rather than have the oven on all day
    - don't worry too much about decorations, people are mostly there for the food and company. A tree will do!
    - BYO camping chairs and buffet style serving of food, people will work out seating on the day
    - go for a bit of music, or turn on tv and find a channel that does Xmas carols
    - if you have limited fridge/kitchen space, relegate part of the house as the "bar" such as laundry, or hallway. Put esky & ice there, fill laundry tub with ice if you can
    - same goes for people's bags, coats etc
    - allow sufficient time for pressies before meal, make sure you also get to sit down and enjoy it
    - have an afternoon activity in mind such as a walk or trip to the park to get everyone out of the house. You can choose to either go along or stay back and enjoy a bit of peace! It can help with defusing any family tensions that might be brewing on the day and gets kids to burn off all that sugar!

And do try to keep some humour. If all else fails you might like to have a look at this lady's idea of delegation:

http://m.awkwardfamilyphotos.com/200...giving-letter/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you sooo much for all this advice ladies, now I need more! I think I have decided on how to make the sunroom curtains look a lot less blah and more festive. 2 ideas I'm playing with -
    Hanging christmas baubles on fishing line and hanging them at different lengths the whole way along - but how to keep the fishing line in place? Do you think a dab from a hot glue gun on each string would do it?

Other idea - cutting tinsel into 1 metre pieces and hanging them vertically the whole way along, kind of like a tinsel fringe along the curtains, but again how to hang this?
    I can't tie anything onto the curtain rods as the curtain goes over the top of it.....any ideas from some creative hubbers?