+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    My comment was less about the Op's specific situation and more a general comment. As an employer I would be frustrated at the legal obligations in the UK if, as Op says, an employee only needs to work for 6 months to be entitled to employer paid parental leave. Rather than a 12 month period like many workplaces have here.
    The Op said in her reply to me that the employer would have to pay her.
    I wholeheartedly support parental leave.
    I wholeheartedly support paid parental leave such as we have here - Government provided
    And I wholeheartedly support employer paid parental leave.
    What I struggle with us the short length of time needed to work for an employer to qualify.
    I'm not sure the Op is being discriminated against. She hasn't actually asked for, or had an adult conversation with her employer yet. She's taking second hand information and deciding she must leave her job.
    And no contract too? Something seems off here.
    No I haven't had a conversation with these people as I haven't been given any opportunity too . Plus I have been there 5 weeks and see no point in trying to change the opinion that they have of me for being pregnant . I never asked for advise on the situation only advise on how I would go about getting a new job . I have discovered from gov uk I will not be entitled to maternity pay from them only from the government . I don't think because there annoyed it gives them the right to gossip about me without talking to me first , it's very unprofessional from a manager . Plus I have asked for a contract and they are just not giving me one , I don't see how refusing fit ether training is not discrimination ? Also the fact they are ignoring me and not helping me learn the role is childish in my opinion .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beccy0412 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (16-11-2015),crabby  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't see the issue. I don't think you should be said anything so early on but what's done is done.

you need to get assertive and insist on making a time to sit down with the owners and work out a plan.

look realistically you're not going to be going on mat leave for another 7 months probably so from a day to day perspective, I don't see an issue.

they should continue to train you for the role they hired you for. when you go on mat leave, they find a mat leave replacement and then you come back. and they need to give you your contract ASAP.

if you don't stand up and get a handle on things then it'll just fizzle along and they'll probably guilt you into resigning or find some way to push you out.

take control and stop making excuses. you're pregnant, not dying. it's not the end of the world!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beccy0412 View Post
    No I haven't had a conversation with these people as I haven't been given any opportunity too . Plus I have been there 5 weeks and see no point in trying to change the opinion that they have of me for being pregnant . I never asked for advise on the situation only advise on how I would go about getting a new job . I have discovered from gov uk I will not be entitled to maternity pay from them only from the government . I don't think because there annoyed it gives them the right to gossip about me without talking to me first , it's very unprofessional from a manager . Plus I have asked for a contract and they are just not giving me one , I don't see how refusing fit ether training is not discrimination ? Also the fact they are ignoring me and not helping me learn the role is childish in my opinion .
    sorry why are we referencing the UK? are you not in Australia?

see, its starting already. they're discriminating against you by refusing to train you etc.

grow up and take the bull by the horns. 5 weeks pregnant is very early days, not being insensitive but it's no guarantee of anything so IMO they should be treating you like any non-pregnant employee.

stop facking about and making excuses. make a time and call a meeting and talk it through with them! you've really got nothing to lose so just do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought this site was supposed to be helpful friendly advice , not insulting and belittling people . Yes maybe I did tell them too early but I was being upfront and if I had said anything further on I still would have had the same treatment so it makes no difference . I guess you can't fully understand the situation unless your in it . Plus I never made out I was dying so I'm not sure what that us about .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi @beccy0412, firstly congratulations on your pregnancy.

Secondly, time to send an email to your boss (you said this is the only form of communication at the moment?) stating that you need to discuss things with them in person urgently.
    Bring up the fact that you are still waiting on your contract, that you feel your training has stopped and you are being treated as an inconvenience. Also bring up what you heard re: there being no point as you will check out.

I don't see that you need to find a new job, just get assertive. You are entitled to a contract. You are entitled to privacy. You are entitled to have a life separate to work. You are entitled to expect training. You are entitled to be treated as a professional.

ETA: Did you actually hear the husband say this, or did the other staff member say he said it? If you heard it, press ahead and mention it. If you heard it from someone else (ie it is gossip) don't be specific and say something like "I have been told that your husband feels there is no point in training me further, which I find very unfair and discriminatory. Is there truth to this?"
    Last edited by DT75; 16-11-2015 at 08:04.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (16-11-2015),VicPark  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    sorry why are we referencing the UK? are you not in Australia?

see, its starting already. they're discriminating against you by refusing to train you etc.

grow up and take the bull by the horns. 5 weeks pregnant is very early days, not being insensitive but it's no guarantee of anything so IMO they should be treating you like any non-pregnant employee.

stop facking about and making excuses. make a time and call a meeting and talk it through with them! you've really got nothing to lose so just do it!
    Bit harsh?

She's in the uk. Has said this a few times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Bit harsh?

She's in the uk. Has said this a few times.
    must've missed the UK bit.

the other comments still stand though. the OP needs to try and take control and address the issue. it's incredibly unfair what's happening but sitting round making excuses won't help the situation any.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    must've missed the UK bit.

the other comments still stand though. the OP needs to try and take control and address the issue. it's incredibly unfair what's happening but sitting round making excuses won't help the situation any.
    I still think it's harsh though. She's sick, she feels upset and this thread has been open for 2 days? How is that sitting around making excuses?

Not everyone is confident enough to stand up for themselves when they feel the way the OP feels. I get your point but it's still harshly put.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beccy0412  (16-11-2015),DailyDiversion  (16-11-2015),meandmyboys82  (16-11-2015),munchkin275  (16-11-2015),Olive Oil  (16-11-2015),Purple Poppy  (16-11-2015),smallpotatoes  (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Hi @beccy0412, firstly congratulations on your pregnancy.

Secondly, time to send an email to your boss (you said this is the only form of communication at the moment?) stating that you need to discuss things with them in person urgently.
    Bring up the fact that you are still waiting on your contract, that you feel your training has stopped and you are being treated as an inconvenience. Also bring up what you heard re: there being no point as you will check out.

I don't see that you need to find a new job, just get assertive. You are entitled to a contract. You are entitled to privacy. You are entitled to have a life separate to work. You are entitled to expect training. You are entitled to be treated as a professional.

ETA: Did you actually hear the husband say this, or did the other staff member say he said it? If you heard it, press ahead and mention it. If you heard it from someone else (ie it is gossip) don't be specific and say something like "I have been told that your husband feels there is no point in training me further, which I find very unfair and discriminatory. Is there truth to this?"
    No I didn't actually hear this , he told the sales manager who I get on with very well and she told me . I know I can't use this as its only gossip but it's so unprofessional to do this . I think I will send an email to them both and see what happens after that . I also have a call from my previous employer today to see if they will consider having me back there as my position is still available .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beccy0412 View Post
    No I didn't actually hear this , he told the sales manager who I get on with very well and she told me . I know I can't use this as its only gossip but it's so unprofessional to do this . I think I will send an email to them both and see what happens after that . I also have a call from my previous employer today to see if they will consider having me back there as my position is still available .
    You can still bring it up, but need to bring it up as gossip and not fact.
    E.g. "I have heard that you consider my training pointless. Is this true?"
    No need to give away the source, but it needs to be addressed. You can also state ways in which you feel that this is how they are acting- i.e. email only communication, lack of contact with person training you, etc.