+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't you have to be working for 12 months before having the baby to being entitled to maternity leave?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think so as it says on government uk that you just have to be in the job for 26 weeks .

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Having to leave my job due to bullying at work

If that's the case in the uk no wonder they're annoyed. You can start a job pregnant and they have to pay you? Seems unfair.
    I don't know. Most of us are Australian so won't be across uk legislation.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-11-2015),VicPark  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie74 View Post
    Beccy, I'm in Australia but my sister is in the uk and she also had just started new job when she found out she was pregnant. I can't say for sure, about the employer maternity leave, but you will of course get the government mat leave.

Really awful situation for you to be in hon- but if you have the confidence to do it, I also think you need to ask to speak to these people and have a frank and open conversation with them about how your feeling. And that you feel as though things have changed since you disclosed your pregnancy. Give them an opportunity to either refute that anything has changed, or to tell you that yes they are annoyed by the situation. Then at least you can tell them what you've already said, that you are keen to get back to work as soon as you can, and that you are invested in this new job and what your plans are.

If you have this kind of conversation then even if they are feeling annoyed, it might make a difference, they might get over it and try to make it work.

And if not, then yes you'll have a case of discrimination. I get the whole Small business thing- and that it's difficult.. but it's still discrimination regardless. ESPECIALLY if they are now making you feel uncomfortable and paranoid going in there everyday. That is not on- even if they are p**ssed off about you being pregnant.

I once went for an interview with a real estate agent in Melbourne.. In my interview the owner said to me 'so your in your late 20's.. It's illegal for me to ask you this question.. But what is the likelihood of you having children in the next few years?'.... Absolute chauvinistic pig! Needless to say I wasn't interested anymore after that conversation..
    Yes I'll be entitled to maternity leave and maternity allowance / that's not pay from them that will be from the government . I will have missed the cut off by 1 day to be paid from them so I don't think they will have to pay me . I'm finding it so difficult as when I told her she couldn't have been nicer about it but now I feel as though I'm going to be just a receptionist for the remainder of my time , if this continues then I won't be going back after my leave .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    If that's the case in the uk no wonder they're annoyed. You can start a job pregnant and they have to pay you? Seems unfair.
    Australia is way behind on ensuring women in the workforce aren't disadvantaged for having children. I loathe how women have to struggle to get ahead in their careers if they want to have a family. Few do both family & career successfully because the workplace does not do much to protect women, ensuring their professional development, addressing workplace discrimination/bullying etc.

I would keep a diary of what is happening. Note down dates/conversations and emails that you feel show the discrimination. Try remove the emotion out of it when doing so, facts are important. Seek out the training even if they have lost interest. Make note of the number of times they have not responded, refused to continue your training. If you do decide to go down the discrimination path, make sure you do it properly.

Make it clear on what your plan is once you have baby, your return to work plans, how you intend to stay in touch during maternity leave, any additional training you can undertake to better your position whilst on mat leave. Oh and did I read you PP that says you don't have a contract!? For the love of all that is good, get one!

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (15-11-2015),turquoisecoast  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Australia is way behind on ensuring women in the workforce aren't disadvantaged for having children. I loathe how women have to struggle to get ahead in their careers if they want to have a family. Few do both family & career successfully because the workplace does not do much to protect women, ensuring their professional development, addressing workplace discrimination/bullying etc.

I would keep a diary of what is happening. Note down dates/conversations and emails that you feel show the discrimination. Try remove the emotion out of it when doing so, facts are important. Seek out the training even if they have lost interest. Make note of the number of times they have not responded, refused to continue your training. If you do decide to go down the discrimination path, make sure you do it properly.

Make it clear on what your plan is once you have baby, your return to work plans, how you intend to stay in touch during maternity leave, any additional training you can undertake to better your position whilst on mat leave. Oh and did I read you PP that says you don't have a contract!? For the love of all that is good, get one!

Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    Yes I don't have a contract I've tried to get one and I've been told it's coming they just haven't got round to it yet is what they said !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Agree 100%.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Agree 100%.
    also agree 100%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can understand feeling annoyed but still doesn't entitle them to treat someone under their employ unfairly. OP was showing them the courtesy of letting them know what was happening when she didn't need to say a thing. How one is treated in the workplace is fairly universal, it ultimately boils down to respecting that women don't have a choice over needing to take time off work in order to start a family, and starting a family is a pretty basic human need for most people. If a man had the same conversation with his boss about the same thing, what would their reaction be then?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

beccy0412  (16-11-2015),Charlie74  (16-11-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My comment was less about the Op's specific situation and more a general comment. As an employer I would be frustrated at the legal obligations in the UK if, as Op says, an employee only needs to work for 6 months to be entitled to employer paid parental leave. Rather than a 12 month period like many workplaces have here.
    The Op said in her reply to me that the employer would have to pay her.
    I wholeheartedly support parental leave.
    I wholeheartedly support paid parental leave such as we have here - Government provided
    And I wholeheartedly support employer paid parental leave.
    What I struggle with us the short length of time needed to work for an employer to qualify.
    I'm not sure the Op is being discriminated against. She hasn't actually asked for, or had an adult conversation with her employer yet. She's taking second hand information and deciding she must leave her job.
    And no contract too? Something seems off here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-11-2015)