+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Did she tell you this in person/email, before/after you told her you were pregnant?
    She said this in person , I haven't had a contract either yet

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beccy0412 View Post
    She said this in person , I haven't had a contract either yet
    Before she knew you were pregnant? When you had only been working a few weeks?

    Any chance something else is going on with the boss (busy, other duties, home life stuff) that is behind her keeping her distance over the ?last few days?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Before she knew you were pregnant? When you had only been working a few weeks?

    Any chance something else is going on with the boss (busy, other duties, home life stuff) that is behind her keeping her distance over the ?last few days?
    Yes she said this before she knew I was pregnant . I don't think so apart from being annoyed that I'll be going off on maternity and she would have to cover my job as they can't afford to pay someone else . The business is struggling already so it would mean her going back full time I think

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,656
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked
    3,836
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccy0412 View Post
    Sorry terrible spelling ! I meant lettings negotiator
    Ohhhh. Haha of course! I've been in real estate on and off for 14 years and it didn't even click. Lol

    I sort of experienced similar when I told my boss I was pregnant with my first. They probably knew they couldn't sack me (a colleague told me they were terrified of being sued). It was also a husband/wife family run business. They transferred me out to the office at their TV/film studios in the Docklands here in Melbourne (wasn't in real estate at that time), where it was really dead quiet with nothing to do apart from answer the phones. I stuck with it, only because I was worried I would have trouble getting a new job being visibly pregnant and needed the money. It was a little bit soul destroying though, I felt like I was a burden to them but had little choice

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ohhhh. Haha of course! I've been in real estate on and off for 14 years and it didn't even click. Lol

    I sort of experienced similar when I told my boss I was pregnant with my first. They probably knew they couldn't sack me (a colleague told me they were terrified of being sued). It was also a husband/wife family run business. They transferred me out to the office at their TV/film studios in the Docklands here in Melbourne (wasn't in real estate at that time), where it was really dead quiet with nothing to do apart from answer the phones. I stuck with it, only because I was worried I would have trouble getting a new job being visibly pregnant and needed the money. It was a little bit soul destroying though, I felt like I was a burden to them but had little choice
    Yea I think if I could just go in and do my job I would be able to handle it , it's the fact because I'm still learning I have to ask her everything and she huffs and puffs and makes me feel stupid but I haven't had sufficient training to know what to do . I don't know where I would stand with maternity pay as I haven't got a contract

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,106
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked
    455
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you were being trained for a specific role in a very small family business then I understand their frustration but it is what happens. Unfortunately I don't see a way out of this one because they will train you up in time for you to go on leave and realistically not everyone goes back to work after being on maternity leave so I do understand from their point of view that it would be a waste of their time. They should have an open conversation with you rather than ignoring you though.

    If you were to find another job I would be careful of the particular role you are going for knowing you are pregnant but I wouldn't disclose the pregnancy at this stage.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    If you were being trained for a specific role in a very small family business then I understand their frustration but it is what happens. Unfortunately I don't see a way out of this one because they will train you up in time for you to go on leave and realistically not everyone goes back to work after being on maternity leave so I do understand from their point of view that it would be a waste of their time. They should have an open conversation with you rather than ignoring you though.

    If you were to find another job I would be careful of the particular role you are going for knowing you are pregnant but I wouldn't disclose the pregnancy at this stage.
    Yes I completely understand how frustrating it is as I apologised for that and said I am career driven and have the help in order for me to come back afterwards . If I apply for a new job then it would be back in retail as I couldn't possibly apply at an estate agents with only 5 weeks experience

  8. #18
    TheGooch's Avatar
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,781
    Thanks
    8,014
    Thanked
    4,133
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beccy0412 View Post
    Yes she said this before she knew I was pregnant . I don't think so apart from being annoyed that I'll be going off on maternity and she would have to cover my job as they can't afford to pay someone else . The business is struggling already so it would mean her going back full time I think
    Why would they have to cover it? Surely they're under no obligation to pay you on maternity leave so whatever they would be paying you they could pay to someone else.
    Are they even obliged to offer you unpaid maternity leave since you will have only been at this workplace for such a short time? I don't know the ins and outs.

    Don't listen to what others tell you. Make a time to sit down with your boss and say you are concerned that since you told her you were pregnant, things have changed.

    Don't immediately fling words like discrimination about. Have a mature, adult discussion - face to face, with your boss about your concerns.

    Best wishes for your pregnancy

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

    Frankenmum  (14-11-2015),Janesmum123  (14-11-2015),Wise Enough  (14-11-2015)

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,295
    Thanks
    3,118
    Thanked
    6,305
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The biggest problem I found working in real estate when I was pregnant is that most landlords and sellers didn't really want to employ you as their agent as it's obvious you won't be around in the next few months or more to actually do the job ( especially sales where campaigns begin and settle in a 3 month period) I lost most listings around the 6 month mark where I was obviously pregnant and couldn't commit to actually being there for auction/inspections then with a baby the hours are just not flexible if you did want to go back straight away as it's definitely not a 9-5 job

    I would try not to stress too much and just sit down and talk to them , they obviously like you or they wouldn't have employed you so just try and tell them what your thinking ( you want to come back after baby and really want to stay and learn etc ) good staff is really hard to find in real estate so hopefully they will be thinking about the big picture and work around you

    being a small business owner myself it is hard when staff are off as we can't just employ new people as training takes months/years and it's expensive so we just have to suck it up and do the extra work ourselves but that's just what you do when you run a small business

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    littleriv  (14-11-2015)

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Why would they have to cover it? Surely they're under no obligation to pay you on maternity leave so whatever they would be paying you they could pay to someone else.
    Are they even obliged to offer you unpaid maternity leave since you will have only been at this workplace for such a short time? I don't know the ins and outs.

    Don't listen to what others tell you. Make a time to sit down with your boss and say you are concerned that since you told her you were pregnant, things have changed.

    Don't immediately fling words like discrimination about. Have a mature, adult discussion - face to face, with your boss about your concerns.

    Best wishes for your pregnancy
    She would have to cover my job as she is the lettings manager , it's only a very small team and they can't afford to employ another person when I leave . I think they would have to pay me maternity pay as here in the uk , if you work for a company for 26 weeks before you go off on maternity then your entitled to it . There not the easiest people to talk to and I feel it would make matters worse .


 

Similar Threads

  1. work after maternity leave
    By annieviolet in forum Maternity & Parental Leave
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-07-2015, 19:55
  2. HR question! Re long service leave & mat leave!
    By MummaJugs3 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 12:13
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-03-2015, 11:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Be In Blossom
We offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a focus on optimising posture, body awareness, pelvic floor support, back care and maintaining fitness, aiming to assist women prepare and recover from their birth.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!