+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Did she tell you this in person/email, before/after you told her you were pregnant?
    She said this in person , I haven't had a contract either yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beccy0412 View Post
    She said this in person , I haven't had a contract either yet
    Before she knew you were pregnant? When you had only been working a few weeks?

Any chance something else is going on with the boss (busy, other duties, home life stuff) that is behind her keeping her distance over the ?last few days?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Before she knew you were pregnant? When you had only been working a few weeks?

Any chance something else is going on with the boss (busy, other duties, home life stuff) that is behind her keeping her distance over the ?last few days?
    Yes she said this before she knew I was pregnant . I don't think so apart from being annoyed that I'll be going off on maternity and she would have to cover my job as they can't afford to pay someone else . The business is struggling already so it would mean her going back full time I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry terrible spelling ! I meant lettings negotiator
    Ohhhh. Haha of course! I've been in real estate on and off for 14 years and it didn't even click. Lol

I sort of experienced similar when I told my boss I was pregnant with my first. They probably knew they couldn't sack me (a colleague told me they were terrified of being sued). It was also a husband/wife family run business. They transferred me out to the office at their TV/film studios in the Docklands here in Melbourne (wasn't in real estate at that time), where it was really dead quiet with nothing to do apart from answer the phones. I stuck with it, only because I was worried I would have trouble getting a new job being visibly pregnant and needed the money. It was a little bit soul destroying though, I felt like I was a burden to them but had little choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ohhhh. Haha of course! I've been in real estate on and off for 14 years and it didn't even click. Lol

I sort of experienced similar when I told my boss I was pregnant with my first. They probably knew they couldn't sack me (a colleague told me they were terrified of being sued). It was also a husband/wife family run business. They transferred me out to the office at their TV/film studios in the Docklands here in Melbourne (wasn't in real estate at that time), where it was really dead quiet with nothing to do apart from answer the phones. I stuck with it, only because I was worried I would have trouble getting a new job being visibly pregnant and needed the money. It was a little bit soul destroying though, I felt like I was a burden to them but had little choice
    Yea I think if I could just go in and do my job I would be able to handle it , it's the fact because I'm still learning I have to ask her everything and she huffs and puffs and makes me feel stupid but I haven't had sufficient training to know what to do . I don't know where I would stand with maternity pay as I haven't got a contract

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you were being trained for a specific role in a very small family business then I understand their frustration but it is what happens. Unfortunately I don't see a way out of this one because they will train you up in time for you to go on leave and realistically not everyone goes back to work after being on maternity leave so I do understand from their point of view that it would be a waste of their time. They should have an open conversation with you rather than ignoring you though.

If you were to find another job I would be careful of the particular role you are going for knowing you are pregnant but I wouldn't disclose the pregnancy at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    If you were being trained for a specific role in a very small family business then I understand their frustration but it is what happens. Unfortunately I don't see a way out of this one because they will train you up in time for you to go on leave and realistically not everyone goes back to work after being on maternity leave so I do understand from their point of view that it would be a waste of their time. They should have an open conversation with you rather than ignoring you though.

If you were to find another job I would be careful of the particular role you are going for knowing you are pregnant but I wouldn't disclose the pregnancy at this stage.
    Yes I completely understand how frustrating it is as I apologised for that and said I am career driven and have the help in order for me to come back afterwards . If I apply for a new job then it would be back in retail as I couldn't possibly apply at an estate agents with only 5 weeks experience

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes she said this before she knew I was pregnant . I don't think so apart from being annoyed that I'll be going off on maternity and she would have to cover my job as they can't afford to pay someone else . The business is struggling already so it would mean her going back full time I think
    Why would they have to cover it? Surely they're under no obligation to pay you on maternity leave so whatever they would be paying you they could pay to someone else.
    Are they even obliged to offer you unpaid maternity leave since you will have only been at this workplace for such a short time? I don't know the ins and outs.

Don't listen to what others tell you. Make a time to sit down with your boss and say you are concerned that since you told her you were pregnant, things have changed.

Don't immediately fling words like discrimination about. Have a mature, adult discussion - face to face, with your boss about your concerns.

Best wishes for your pregnancy

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (14-11-2015),Janesmum123  (14-11-2015),Wise Enough  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The biggest problem I found working in real estate when I was pregnant is that most landlords and sellers didn't really want to employ you as their agent as it's obvious you won't be around in the next few months or more to actually do the job ( especially sales where campaigns begin and settle in a 3 month period) I lost most listings around the 6 month mark where I was obviously pregnant and couldn't commit to actually being there for auction/inspections then with a baby the hours are just not flexible if you did want to go back straight away as it's definitely not a 9-5 job

I would try not to stress too much and just sit down and talk to them , they obviously like you or they wouldn't have employed you so just try and tell them what your thinking ( you want to come back after baby and really want to stay and learn etc ) good staff is really hard to find in real estate so hopefully they will be thinking about the big picture and work around you

being a small business owner myself it is hard when staff are off as we can't just employ new people as training takes months/years and it's expensive so we just have to suck it up and do the extra work ourselves but that's just what you do when you run a small business

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Why would they have to cover it? Surely they're under no obligation to pay you on maternity leave so whatever they would be paying you they could pay to someone else.
    Are they even obliged to offer you unpaid maternity leave since you will have only been at this workplace for such a short time? I don't know the ins and outs.

Don't listen to what others tell you. Make a time to sit down with your boss and say you are concerned that since you told her you were pregnant, things have changed.

Don't immediately fling words like discrimination about. Have a mature, adult discussion - face to face, with your boss about your concerns.

Best wishes for your pregnancy
    She would have to cover my job as she is the lettings manager , it's only a very small team and they can't afford to employ another person when I leave . I think they would have to pay me maternity pay as here in the uk , if you work for a company for 26 weeks before you go off on maternity then your entitled to it . There not the easiest people to talk to and I feel it would make matters worse .