+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bedtime routine with three kids

I'm expecting baby number three in less than 3 weeks. I also have a 5 yo and 2yo (who always wants me to settle her to sleep, not DH!).

Our bedtime routine seems to take forever despite my best efforts. I'm worried about also trying to settle the new baby too, when my DD is so clingy!

Hit me with your suggestions for getting three to bed in good time please!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not going to lie the bedtime routine with 3 is tricky. Mine were slightly older than yours 7,2 and a newbie. Hubby had to help out heaps while I was stuck feeding the baby. Pre cooked meals are great and getting your daughter used to hubby putting her to bed might be unavoidable! Sometimes it's around 8.30-9 before my tribe are all in bed now and my baby is almost 15 months old 😁

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 5wk old, 3&5yo.

I will give you our run down from 5pm and as you are aware I'm alone.

4.45-5.30pm dinner for big kids and I nurse baby.
    5.30pm baby goes in carrier and I clean the kitchen.
    6-6.15 - read books and nurse bub.
    6.30pm - bath all three together. Dress and feed bub in bathroom whilst watching older two.
    6.45pm dress older two whilst bub nurses.
    7pm. Both big kids in bed (one room). I sit down in their room with my iPad. Play on the internet whist cluster feeding the baby and patting the 3yo as needed.
    Usually big 2 are sleeping by 7.15/30pm. The I pop bub in the carrier and clean up the house as needed. I'm in bed by 8/8.30pm and continue cluster feeding.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (13-11-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (13-11-2015),ScubaGal  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had a 4.5 year old, 2.5 year old and a newborn.

My 2.5 year old at the time was going through an awful, awful time and was really attached to me at bedtime.

I was lucky that my newborn was really chilled. She was happy to be held so her bed time was later for her whilst I put the other 2 to bed.

I believe a strict routine helped my older 2. Mine was dinner, bath, story and bed. Usually between 6:30-7:30. Then after they were asleep, I would bath my baby and put her down. At around 3/4 months I started to put her to bed at the same time as the others.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are 6,4 and 13 months. The 6 and 4yo share a room, and always want Mum to sit with them while they fall asleep, although Dad will do if I'm not there.
    At the moment I put the baby to bed at 6:30 while DH showers the other two, then I read their books and they're in bed at 7, asleep before 7:30 (unless the 4yo has has a sleep at childcare, grr!)
    I do remember when the baby was younger sitting with the older 2 while they fell asleep and feeding the baby at the same time. You will find something that works for you, might not be totally smooth to begin with, but you'll get there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

I think part of the issue has been that both kids are used to getting a lot of both mine and DH's time at bedtime.....we both take one child off after bath to do teeth, stories (usually 3 books) and, in my daughters case, me staying to get her to sleep. Ds waits in his bed for me to come out of DD room and go to have a cuddle with him. Which delays him going to sleep. It's usually gone 8pm by the time he's settled and I can sit down. Would prefer 7:30 latest especially as he's starting school in January and is currently waking as early as 5am!!

I told them last night that bedtime needed to change in preparation for the new baby. We do dinner then bath already (sometimes other way around if dinner is taking longer to cook). Then we're now going to do teeth straight away after bath together, and then just two stories not three, together. Then kids go to their rooms for sleep. This would at least free one parent up a bit.

And yes DD does need to just get used to someone else getting her to sleep.....it stems from two years of breastfeeding. It's ok if I'm not home but she cries for me if I am. There will be no choice if I'm busy with bub though....hopefully she'll realise things are different!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you start these next few weeks getting the younger one used to same bedtime as older?
    Might be easier than when you have your hands full with the newborn?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bedtime routine with three kids

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

And yes DD does need to just get used to someone else getting her to sleep.....it stems from two years of breastfeeding. It's ok if I'm not home but she cries for me if I am. There will be no choice if I'm busy with bub though....hopefully she'll realise things are different!!
    Just on this you may be surprised how well they adapt. I have a 2 week old and 2yr9 month dd1, and she was exactly like your dd - mummy's girl and wanted my undivided help and attention, including putting to bed.
    She has adapted well, accepting I'm busy sometimes, or on occasion has opted to go to bed 30 minutes earlier if she knows I'm free.

She still always prefers me and can have a whinge when I tell her DH is putting her to bed or gets her up in the morning but she moves on very quickly and is fine.

I'm hoping to introduce a bottle of ebm for DH to give to dd2 every 2nd night so I can still spend time with dd1 and get dd2 used to bottles (dd1 refused a bottle which sucked at times).

I only have two so obviously my struggles are easier but fingers crossed your dd adapts to it well, good luck xxxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-11-2015 at 07:37.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (15-11-2015)