+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should I worry about this?

My DS who is 21 months is a bit obsessed with shoes. He only crawls, (walks very rarely) and HAS to have his trusty black thong on his hand. 1 will do, 2 is much better.

It's the first thing he asks for when he wakes and he will carry it around all day long. If we get in the car and he doesn't have his thigh, he says 'shoe shoe' and cries if I don't get it.

It's been like this for at least 6 week now....

Right now he's sitting in his pram, thong on hand.

He does play with other toys etc but he just cannot let go of his shoe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    would't even register with me to be honest. Kids form attachments to what we consider to be odd things for a variety of reasons. Some are obvious like soft toys; some on the other hand seem odd to us.

I don't see much difference between what you son is doing and a kid who has to have a car in each hand. It's just we're more used to seeing the latter.

I wouldn't stress. Just make sure you have lots of black thongs!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (14-11-2015),Mod-xkwzit  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't know if it's 'normal' or not but my DD who is 2.5 has gone through stages of being attached to all sorts of weird objects that have to come everywhere with us. She usually gets sick of them soon enough and finds a new one! If I were you I'd just be glad it's something that isn't too easily lost, my DD decided to fall in love with a Daddy Pig cake topper from her birthday cake that was about the size of a 10c coin, we were forever losing that stupid thing everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    Don't know if it's 'normal' or not but my DD who is 2.5 has gone through stages of being attached to all sorts of weird objects that have to come everywhere with us. She usually gets sick of them soon enough and finds a new one! If I were you I'd just be glad it's something that isn't too easily lost, my DD decided to fall in love with a Daddy Pig cake topper from her birthday cake that was about the size of a 10c coin, we were forever losing that stupid thing everywhere!
    Very true. My son (now 4) is the sort of kid who has to carry the same tiny bottle or ring around for weeks on end. Does my head in as we can never find it and it's as if the world is falling in. Then 3 weeks later it's completely irrelevant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds to me like the black thongs are your DS's version of a comforter. Some kids have a blanky, some have a teddy, and your beautiful son has his black thongs.

Kids get attached to all kinds of weird things. My sister, when she was about 2, carried a ragged pair of overalls everywhere with her. She called it "Lovey" and lord help us if Lovey ever went missing!

It's probably just a phase

Blossom

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (14-11-2015),VicPark  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS got himself attached to a toenail clipping once!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CountryGirl77 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (14-11-2015),BettyV  (13-11-2015),Ngaiz  (15-11-2015),quietlyhopeful  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sounds gorgeous. Make sure you get plenty if photos for the 21st xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I worry about this?

I wouldn't worry..my DS has gotten attached to some pretty weird things in his time.

Like once he got obsessed with a dog bone. I kid you not. Like an actual bone from some meat we had at dinner. (Obviously we didn't give into him that time!). Now it is a small hook from a play set that he has carried around for weeks.

I also looked after a little girl who was attached to a half eaten banana.

Definitely normal

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep agree with the others - DD got attached to some weird things. And was completely obsessed with her blanket - it stayed with her no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    My DS got himself attached to a toenail clipping once!
    At least you can find more of these in the event that the treasured toenail gets lost renewable resource