+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 4 month sleep regression? HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I went through every sleep regression with DS. They suck and they knock the wind out of you. I've given this advice lots on here;

- it's not your fault
    - it's nothing you're doing right or wrong, it's developmental and you can't stop it
    - it is normal
    - it will end!
    - fighting it makes it worse for your own sanity
    - it will end!

Acceptance is key. The best info I've found is from ask moxie- she has oodles of info about all sleep regressions.

http://askmoxie.org/blog/2006/02/qa_what_are_sle.html

Did I say it will end? I promise it will. Hugs, it sucks hard.
    All good points however it should be noted that how parents react to a sleep regression can prolong it or cut it short. Just something for the OP to be aware of when deciding what the best course of action for her family is.
    Last edited by VicPark; 15-11-2015 at 20:13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hey @gingermillie, I had to weigh in even though I've put myself on read only probation in BH.

SIDS Guidelines http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-content/uploads/SIDS042-L-Safe-Sleeping-Wrapping-6pp-DL-Rollfold-Single-Pages-LR1.pdf say "When baby is able to roll from their back to their tummy and then onto their back again during supervised play (usually 4-6 months) discontinue the use of a wrap."

So argue all you want people it's written in black and white. There is a time when it's not safe and arms should be left out.

Also re: bad habits etc but it all depends on the bub. Some bubs naturally grow out of certain sleep associations on their own and when a parent is also happy for that to be the case and that's great, but that won't happen for all bubs.

My DD naturally dropped feeds slowly after she learnt to self settle at 7 months so by 10 months she was sleeping through. So for 3 months she self settled but still woke for feeds. Dropped them naturally and life was wonderful!

DS is now 14 months, he used to be breastfed to sleep but started self settling at about 10 months when I went back to work but he still wakes in the night 1-5 times and a feed is the ONLY thing that will get him back to sleep. I'm literally going mental! I'm a mess, I'm tired but too tired to do anything about his sleep until now. I have an appointment on Tuesday with a paediatric sleep psychiatrist to get tips on weaning him at night (and all together). I've had enough, I'm at my wits end, I'm getting angry with both my kids over silly things. Why is it negatively impacting on me? Because I'm not coping with or enjoying life, plain and simple. Not because other kids the same age are sleeping through or books tell me he should be sleeping through or I'm wrapped up in some magical but unobtainable sleep nirvana, I need hi. Sleeping through for my own mental and physical wellbeing!

So what I'm saying is, if her sleep is a problem for you, then try and seek help and change things up - which you're obviously doing, you can do things to help bub and yourself get through a regression if that's what you want.

But I'm proof that you can create bad habits (depending on the parent and baby as to what that exactly constitutes) - it won't be the case for everyone, as my DD ended up a great sleeper and we didn't do any training (well other than not rocking her in arms but putting her down in her cot and shush patting) and DS is a terrible sleeper because we did create bad habits.

So let's not debate our own agendas again, OP you're getting total opposite ends of the spectrum in this thread, some bubs are sleep trained and are good sleepers, others are bad sleepers (as sleep training didn't work), equally some parents don't sleep train and their babies still sleep well, whilst others don't.

I won't give any advice as I have none - I've been too weak to try and change things up for DS so I don't even know what may or may not help you, but all I can say is, if your baby's sleep is a problem for you, keep plugging away at it and only do what feels right in your gut and just see what happens, my fingers are crossed you find something that works for bub and for you.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-11-2015),nh2489  (16-11-2015),VicPark  (15-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone for an interesting discussion. I'm confused though - I thought the recommendation was to stop swaddling arms in when they can roll for safety?
    I have been considering the snuza hero monitor to put my mind at ease especially when she eventually goes into her own room.
    I just want her to be happy and comfortable balanced with not making things too difficult for both of us later on. I envy those who have snuggly cuddly babies! The only time she likes being in bed with me is first thing in the morning, I always bring her in and feed laying down and we snuggle together (or sometimes she just boots me in the stomach the whole time lol). It's my favourite part of each day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    FTR - I actually don't have an agenda. My kids are way past the 'comparing sleep patterns' phase and I don't really care what other people do with their babies, aslong as they're not neglecting their child and the parents are happy with their choice.
    However, on the SIDS guidelines - SIDS state that wrapping your baby can prevent SIDS, and the risk for wrapping with arms in at 4-6 months is dangerous if the baby rolls over and then can't roll back. Mine never rolled over when wrapped so ot wasn't dangerous. I only posted in here because VP was making out like what the OP was doing was dangerous as a blanket statement...when the reality is that if bub is staying asleep on their back then there is no risk.
    I'm sorry lack of sleep is heavily impacting your life so much. I hope you get some relief soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    GM if bubs is rolling over in her sleep she needs her arms free...if she's staying flat on her back the whole time then you don't need to tackle it right now, because she might never roll in her sleep and it will never be an issue for you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @A-Squared and you answered some of my questions. I think her sleep actually isn't a big issue at the moment but we've come from big sleep/settling issues when she was 5-10 weeks old and I'm worried, no terrified, of being in that place again. So I'm trying to prevent it. It is so hard because we do what we think is best, or what we have to do to get through, and it's impossible to know if it's going to cause problems. Part of me would just like to let go and go with the flow but as I said I'm so clueless and worried I'll do the 'wrong' thing.
    Anyway I think I'm babbling on in this thread now, thanks for all of the perspectives I always like hearing all sides then finding my own way 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    It's been a long time since I've had a little one so I was curious and had a look at the sids site.
    Maybe this will help?
    http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...biesLR3web.pdf

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wrap my kids up till toddler age and I do wrap them with arms out once they can roll. But I definitely do wrap them up and it's perfectly safe. My kids end up sleeping on their stomachs usually once they roll over. Do I worry no. My kids sleep in my room with me till 12mths plus and I can hear them all the time.

ETA- my 6wk old is currently snoring next to me. If I put her in her bassinet she will wake every 2-3hrs for a feed. If she sleeps next to me she sleeps 7-8hrs straight then quick feed and back 3-4hrs. Pretty good for a baby 5-6wks old. Its a no Brainer for me what I prefer to do.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 15-11-2015 at 21:13.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    GM if bubs is rolling over in her sleep she needs her arms free...if she's staying flat on her back the whole time then you don't need to tackle it right now, because she might never roll in her sleep and it will never be an issue for you
    Thank you 😀

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 4 month sleep regression? HELP!!

Ok I'm just going to throw my 2c in.

My first was a nightmare sleeper and I admit i had no idea so I'm not referencing her.

My 2nd and 3rd were shaping up to be terrible as well. Once they started rolling I inwrapped them and I let them tummy sleep. I know sids guidelines backward but I knew what worked for them. They slept 1000 X better on their stomachs. I slept on the floor of their rooms for the first few nights until I felt OK leaving them. They still woke but nowhere near the hell #1 put us through.

I was heading down the same path with #4 but it didn't happen as she was in a hip brace 23/24. She was my worst sleeper as a result.

Eta my second and third tummy slept from about the 4 month sleep regression. Was the only way we survived.
    Last edited by Sonja; 15-11-2015 at 21:15.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post: