+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Thanks @torn13. She slept 2.5hrs at her first nap today which is usually only 45 minutes. I'm guessing she is sure tired from being up half the night!
    Im wondering if I should bite the bullet and use this as an opportunity to get her into a sleeping bag instead of being wrapped arms in as her sleep is already disrupted? Or is that adding too much stress to her?
    Don't want to scare you as I'm sure most people manage to transition babies fine, but I've had and are still having a nightmare transitioning out of swaddle. I never swaddled baby that tightly and used pouches that left the legs lose so I didn't think it would be such an issue but my baby just can't settle with his arms free. I'm using the love to dream swaddle now so I can put arms in and out during the night but I find as soon as both arms are our he's flailing around waking himself up. I've been trying for about a month now and still not managing! I wish i had never starting swaddling!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Don't want to scare you as I'm sure most people manage to transition babies fine, but I've had and are still having a nightmare transitioning out of swaddle. I never swaddled baby that tightly and used pouches that left the legs lose so I didn't think it would be such an issue but my baby just can't settle with his arms free. I'm using the love to dream swaddle now so I can put arms in and out during the night but I find as soon as both arms are our he's flailing around waking himself up. I've been trying for about a month now and still not managing! I wish i had never starting swaddling!
    Yeah I'd hang on to the swaddled as long as you can. I accidentally stopped using mine really early and once it's gone it's gone. I have this huge collection of LTD that never got used.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Total 100% unswaddling fail 😡😁
    She slept arms out in the sleeping bag for 45 minutes. Then 1hr 45 minutes of crying, cuddles to calm down, screaming, cuddles to calm down, screaming no sign of sleeping = baby: 1, inept parents: 0.
    We just gave up and wrapped her. I can't see I am ever going to get her out of it now.
    She isn't rolling yet but it's inevitable so thought I'd get a jump on it. If I knew how dependent she would become on it I never would have wrapped to start with.
    Now all i need is for her to stay up babbling all night again and I'll be truly done for 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Total 100% unswaddling fail 😡😁
    She slept arms out in the sleeping bag for 45 minutes. Then 1hr 45 minutes of crying, cuddles to calm down, screaming, cuddles to calm down, screaming no sign of sleeping = baby: 1, inept parents: 0.
    We just gave up and wrapped her. I can't see I am ever going to get her out of it now.
    She isn't rolling yet but it's inevitable so thought I'd get a jump on it. If I knew how dependent she would become on it I never would have wrapped to start with.
    Now all i need is for her to stay up babbling all night again and I'll be truly done for 😢
    What's the rush to get her out of it? If she's not rolling substantially yet I'd say save that fight for later on. It'll be the same amount of hard then except you won't be in the four month sleep changes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My girls were wrapped up till 15-17mths! I had to use a cot sheet by then. Just kept their arms free. No way I'd stop at 4mths.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    What's the rush to get her out of it? If she's not rolling substantially yet I'd say save that fight for later on. It'll be the same amount of hard then except you won't be in the four month sleep changes.
    I thought instead of going through 2 lots of sleep troubles (4 months then unswaddling) that it would be a great idea to do it all at once. Obviously not 😖 I just worry the longer we leave it the harder it will get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My girls were wrapped up till 15-17mths! I had to use a cot sheet by then. Just kept their arms free. No way I'd stop at 4mths.
    Wow! And then they let it go ok? She is very upset about having her arms out even when wrapped. Understandably bewildered by it and I'm not sure the best way to help her through that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow! And then they let it go ok? She is very upset about having her arms out even when wrapped. Understandably bewildered by it and I'm not sure the best way to help her through that.
    Sure.

Once they were rolling I let out their arms. Then when they were crawling I loosened theirs once asleep so they could move around. It was a fabulous sleep cue. I'd wrap them up for the pram too and as they got older I 'tuck' them into bed.

Once babies naturally lose their startle reflex THEN drop the wrapping. But not till then imo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you wrapping with cloth? I found my two loved the Love To Dream Swaddles - so they could have arms up but still that firmness of being wrapped. I used these until they started to roll at night. I've seen a similar product called the zipadee (I think that's the name) that can be used once they are rolling. You can then move onto sleeping bags.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Are you wrapping with cloth? I found my two loved the Love To Dream Swaddles - so they could have arms up but still that firmness of being wrapped. I used these until they started to roll at night. I've seen a similar product called the zipadee (I think that's the name) that can be used once they are rolling. You can then move onto sleeping bags.
    I've tried pretty much all the swaddles (she was a Houdini until I found a great wrapping technique 😀). So we've had the ergopouch as a newborn, ergococoon zip up (can have arms out or in), love to dream (normal and with zip off arms), baby studio Velcro swaddle, and the halo sleep sack. She doesn't like the LTD. She just loves to be wrapped super tight with her arms down.