+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4 month sleep regression? HELP!!

Please help me before this gets out of control!! My DD is now 19 weeks and we had a really rough start (terrible day sleeps, reflux). We finally made some headway around 10-11 weeks.
    I can get her down quite well for 3-4 naps during the day of 45 minutes - 2 hours. When she wakes at 45 minutes I do try to resettle but if she's decided she's awake then that is it nothing will get her back to sleep.
    I do not feed to sleep and she doesn't have a dummy. Her sleep routine is dark room, white noise up loud, wrapped (need to transition to sleeping bag that's a separate issue), quick cuddle then into cot awake. If grizzly I push the cot til she settles. She doesn't like sleeping on me or in my bed only the cot which is a blessing in disguise.
    Night sleeps the past 6 weeks were good. She goes to bed between 6/7pm and wakes around 7-8am with 1-2 feeds in between (exclusively breastfed). This week she has started 'babbling' when I try put her to bed and can go on for a while. Big problem though is she's waking 3-4 times a night and staying awake babbling (no grizzling or crying just talking to herself). She stays awake for an hour each time doing this. I have tried feeding her which she'll take but I don't want to feed her that often overnight as it's unnecessary. I have tried pushing the cot to resettle and just leaving her (she eventually goes back to sleep by herself). My issue is she's in my room - I can't sleep with her talking so loud - but also this disrupted sleep has the potential to go bad I know. Is this the dreaded 4 month regression? What do I do?!! Just ignore it as she is going back to sleep by herself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought i would add, this is our typical day. We don't follow set schedules everything depends on how long she sleeps and when but this is fairly typical;
    7:30 wake, feed, play
    9am nap 45 minutes
    9:45-11:15 awake time
    11:15 - 12 45 minute nap
    12-1:15 awake time
    1:15-3 nap
    3-4:30 awake time
    4:30-5 nap
    5-6:30 feed, shower, play, feed bed

I should add she's 19 weeks but 15 corrected. 1.5hrs awake time seems to suit her still. Would love to get her to do 3 longer naps but most days it doesn't pan out that way. I've tried and tried but now if she wakes if I can't get her back to sleep in 5-10 minutes I give up to reduce my stress levels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just ignore it, particularly as she is going back to sleep by herself.

I know it's really hard to do and at night I find it hard to be asleep if my baby is awake but she is safe in her cot, happy (not crying) so there's not really anything you can do. If she needed the feed she would make you know about it!

I moved my DD out of our room when she got too big for her bassinet. This was around 4 months and honestly it helped my sleep and hers.

You've inspired me to work on not feeding to sleep as I've fallen into a habit - going to start today!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @wobbleyhorse. You're right about if she needed the feed she would let me know. As she's only woken 1-2 times a night to now and she's only just hit 6kg last week I have always fed if she woke up (generally with a grizzle) and every time she'd feed well and go straight back down so this night waking not hungry is confusing me but I don't want to feed her every time she wakes if she's not hungry as I can see that getting into a really bad habit. So I guess I'll leave her to talk to herself and only feed if she cries and see how that goes. But yes I think I'll need to move out 😢 makes me really sad though as I love having her in the same room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there my bubs is just over 4 months as well and does exactly the same thing for day naps and at night time as well. I just leave him be and he eventually goes back to sleep. Its just part of their development i guess and it is better than them crying. I think i will be moving my little one out of room soon if this keeps up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to torn13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @torn13. She slept 2.5hrs at her first nap today which is usually only 45 minutes. I'm guessing she is sure tired from being up half the night!
    Im wondering if I should bite the bullet and use this as an opportunity to get her into a sleeping bag instead of being wrapped arms in as her sleep is already disrupted? Or is that adding too much stress to her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermille I wonder the same thing about the sleeping bag. My little man busts out of hos wrap all the time but his hand still flap a fair bit so not sure what to do. You could always give it a try and see what happens...sorry not much help

10. The Following User Says Thank You to torn13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol @torn13 we thought in for a penny in for a pound and put her in the sleeping bag tonight. 10 minutes of tears but she fell asleep. For 45 minutes. Been awake for half an hour now and very upset (her and me!) 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear😯

13. The Following User Says Thank You to torn13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is she rolling yet?

With my DD I only swapped her to sleeping bags once she started to be able roll over to her tummy.

If she isn't and sleeps better wrapped, go with that for time being. Don't stress too much about the transition yet.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to looloo711 For This Useful Post: