Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you all for the info, it means a lot X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Or he. Not all nurses/midwives are female
    I use the feminine pronoun at all times as a small protest against the dominant male pronoun particularly when describing professionals 😊

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (12-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can I get an elective c-section after 2 traumatic natural births?

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Why not just use they? I think use "she" to describe a female dominated profession is a bit hypocritical given your reasons.

And also a bit disrespectful to male nurses and midwives who also have to fight against stereotypes and gender bias in their jobs.
    I'm more than happy with my use of she.

I started doing it when my three year old daughter asked why there were no girls in books, or one token girl. I hadn't really noticed prior to that but then it was glaringly obvious that in most books, shows and movies that aren't aimed directly at girls, there is often one token girl. So I automatically started changing he to she.

It's not hypocritical, it's affirmative action.

You don't like it, you don't do it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

TreeGirl  (12-11-2015)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The long and the short of it is that you will really need to stick to your guns. Some people might be sympathetic to your plight, others might say "You never know, your next one might be fantastic!".
    For me it was "My next one might be the same, and that is NOT something I will ever go through again. Ever."

You just need to stick to your guns, be firm, ensure that you have all the referrals that you need and even have someone to advocate for you (such as a friend or family member who cares about your particular circumstances, not just those of people 'in general') if you tend to get emotional and say what you're feeling rather than what you want.
    If you get into your feelings rather than what your desires are, you'll often find that it gives people a way to skirt the issue because it will become a discussion about your feelings rather than "this is what what I want, and I won't take no for an answer".

If you can't do that, then it's best to have someone else that can do the talking for you. It's a hard thing to do, and even harder to not get emotional about it whilst doing it, so I'd recommend that as the smart route regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see an obstetric GP and can have a public c section due to traumatic birth next time. My GP does the surgery himself- it's like being private with no hospital fees 😄