+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I always always offer tea/coffee/water to all trades. I find about half accept my offer...last week the washing machine repair man had a cuppa . I think it's courtesy. Even if I'm paying someone to do a job I always want them to feel welcome...and appreciated...which in turn encourages them to do a good job! If they are there all day or for several days, I'll offer them a beer at the end of the day. Our removalists worked really hard when we moved..I bought them a six - pack to take at the end of the move, they appreciated it and I was appreciative of the job they did. Little things make people feel good. Wouldn't it be nice to come home at the end of a long day feeling appreciated?
    Removalists - same I even went and bought my removalists lunch I felt so sorry for them sweating like animals poor guys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm pretty slack, I never offer anything. My mum on the other hand, goes out and buys a range of different ice blocks when she knows she'll have trades there on a hot day because she feels bad for them working in the heat lol.
    For a mortgage broker or anyone else who you sit and chat with, I would definitely offer a tea / coffee / water. In saying that, the midwife that came to our house after I had my daughter was there for hours and I was in such a newborn daze that I didn't think to offer him anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if it's different for me because we don't have cakes/biscuits etc in the house so I would be doing a special shop to offer those things and I'm not about to start that.
    Also, I usually leave if tradies are going to be at my house day for a few hours, or days as well. I'd much rather let them get on with their job than be hanging around making small talk and dining on them as if they were a guest.
    Removalists get a cash tip.
    I also think that firey's fighting fires near your house for days on end is quite different and would probably even go as far as to make special meals for them if that happened here.
    Last edited by Full House; 14-11-2015 at 06:32.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I wonder if it's different for me because we don't have cakes/biscuits etc in the house so I would be doing a special shop to offer those things and I'm not about to start that.
    Also, I usually leave if tradies are going to be at my house day for a few hours, or days as well. I'd much rather let them get on with their job than be hanging around making small talk and dining on them as if they were a guest.
    Removalists get a cash tip.
    I also think that firey's fighting fires near your house for days on end is quite different and would probably even go as far as to make special meals for them if that happened here.
    As a tradie DP sort of prefers if people leave him to it for the most part. He's quite friendly with some and if he knows them already they might have a chat at the end of the day. Last week he stayed chatting to the home owner of a job for about half an hour at the end (he's a hard worker and works like a Trojan all day, but once he knocks off he's a motor mouth, loves talking!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soooo we had a guy out to do pest control and termite inspection today, he was here for 2.5hrs. The whole time I was thinking of this thread 😂

I thoughg I should offer him some of the cake I'd just made but then felt awkward for interrupting him. At the end he sat down to finalise some paper work and I offered a cuppa and cake but he declined.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never thought to offer tradies anything. We don't have them very often though. I figure they're there to do a job and get going and stopping to eat/drink will only delay them when they prob want to leave to go home or to the next job. Shearers and episodes always get a few beers after cutout.

We had someone install ceiling fans on the weekend who bought his kid with him. I didn't know for a while cause he was still in the truck but he ended up playing with my ds's for a few hours, I fed him lunch (even though he said he didn't like hot dogs!) and he stayed while his dad went to town to get another part (another tradie was still here)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never offered tradies anything. if I had them in the house for maybe upwards of a couple of hours I might ask if they'd like a glass of water or just say if you need the bathroom it's through there.

I wouldn't be offering to make cups of tea/coffee or food.

I'd expect them to provide a timeframe for the job their doing too and if they didn't, I'd ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP is a tradie and he never expects to be offered anything, but he is extremely stoked when people do. He has had people bake for him, go out and buy a bbq chook and bread rolls, give cartons/bottles of beer at the end of a job, and hand out ice creams and cold drinks. He raves about those jobs!
    I always offer a drink at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had builders in for the past 2 weeks, I made them a cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner as they were here from 8am-8pm. Gave them drinks all day and made them snacks if they got hungry.
    They were very grateful they said usually they usually just get ignored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And bought them beers on Friday arvos!