+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tradies usually travel well equiped being out and about all day but I do offer water

Thanks
    Reviews
    I offer water and leave them to it. I am paying them for a service...not to have a chat, and not to provide them with their meals. They obviously get access to our toilet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (12-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I usually ask right away when I call them if they could give me a rough time frame how long they'll be so I can organise my kids drop offs/pick ups.
    I always offer water(we don't really have drinks in the house often)
    If they've been a while I offer tea/coffee, I don't really offer food, but if it has been a baking day and I have cake or what ever I'll offer.
    I usually come in and check on how the jobs going, if it feels awkward I just say well in better get back to my- what ever I'm doing. And I'll always tell them too yell out if they need anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I always offer a drink, not usually food though. I try to be as flexible as possible with times so long as it fits in with my own routine (school run etc)

I generally do a friendly chit chat when they arrive and when they leave but for the most part just leave them to get on with it. And i just carry on with whatever i was doing before they came (washing, baking, cleaning etc) so long as it doesnt interfere with the work they're doing.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I think I must be harsh. Haha. I don't offer anything and expect them to work around me within reason (ie. Last week one came and I arrange for them to come anytime after 3pm). I made small talk with that one...didn't really have a choice when ds wanted to "help".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I don't offer anything either lol.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-11-2015),Nemmi1987  (12-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I offer a drink when they first arrive, have a chat then let then get on with it. I figure I would be annoyed if I had work to do and someone was following me around watching and talking to me so why would tradies be any different?
    I usually get on with some housework or go out, it doesn't bother me having people in the house when I'm not there. If they're going to be around for a while I make up a plate with some biscuits and will leave the tea and coffee things out and tell them to help themselves.
    Unless they're a friend if ours (smallish place we live in so a few are) I don't offer lunch.
    I try and be as flexible as I can with times but yes, I would be annoyed with someone turning up at 7am!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I offer nothing, theyre here to work not have lunch BUT if they were working for ages in the heat I'd offer water (generally they bring it)

with warning I am very accomodative as I can be, I WONT organise people to come at 9 am or 3 pm as often that i when I have to drop off or collect my kid /s but outside of that sure im happy to work with you, even at 7 am

My ONLY gripe is when they say 7 am and dont turn up til later with no warning OR when tradies show up without warning, I SPECIFICALLY say 'tenant to be on the premesis, please RING to arrange a time' and NO ONE rings ever, I had plubers show up to fix a running tap at 6.45 at once, I had a tiny baby and I answered the door thinking it was my bloody neighbour (in my shorties and t-shirt, hair not done and newbie over my shoulder) and Ive had taps etc run for weeks on end because plumbers have 'called up a few times' but never bothered to leave cards and never bothered to call me,

Thankfully the new plumber my estate uses leave cards even if they dont ring.
    Last edited by Nemmi1987; 12-11-2015 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always offer cold water if it's hot and tea/coffee (or water) if it's cold. I've never offered food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I offer cold drinks to any trade doing any hard work, and snacks to the ones I know well (those that have done either a long job over a few days or regular smaller jobs).
    Try to work around them time-wise but when I'm available, so not during drop off / pick up but any other time is fine. I try to have my handyman (who we've had for years) do any job possible so I can leave him home when I'm out which gives better flexibility.