+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually gave up after a while.
    I have found that there have only been a few rare occasions where my kids have actually needed medicine. Especially things like paracetamol/ibuprofen, they are rarely needed and quite overused IMO. Same with antibiotics actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, DS2 acts like he is being waterboarded when we give him medicine. He hates it. As with PP we rarely give it to him unless he has a raging fever. It just isn't worth the tears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to call dd the human fountain because of her impressive skill at getting medicine back out of her mouth. When she was hospitalised once one of the nurses taught us to lie her back, squeeze her cheeks together a little, and blow in her mouth to trigger the swallow reflex. She didn't particularly like it but it did work. Strangely enough she's now taking medicine with absolutely no fuss. It was like a switch just flipped about a month ago and now she's good with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkaboo View Post
    I have this same problem. If I try and give either panadol or nurofen she will usually power vomit everywhere a few seconds later? I think its a gag reflex?
    This happened to us once, I must have squirted it right on the sensitive spot for his gag reflux. I didn't realise how much DS had eaten that day until it was spewed out all over me. In a restaurant. Horrifying.

Squirting more towards the inside of the cheek is fine though. Unless the gagging is because the taste is so bad :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've found that giving smaller squirts of the medicine helps with ds. If I try to give the full dose in one go he will spit it out.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    What works for me: give medicine in a reclined position, usually with DD laying in my lap, squirt it in a bit at a time down the side of the cheek, follow with a drink of water.
    If I try to give it to her sitting up she just lets it dribble out of her mouth!
    You can buy those tiny dummy/bottle medicine administrators from the chemist.
    Some of my customers tell me they have more luck with the thicker formulations. Eg: Panadol is watery, but Dymadon is the same medicine in a suspension so it's a lot thicker.
    For very small babies try giving medicine mid-feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    My DS hated panadol so I swapped to Dymadon (paracetamol - just a different brand and flavour). This helped immensely as he actually like the taste so made it heaps easier to give it to him. From memory having him lying down while giving it was easier.
    Same. None of my boys tolerated panadol well, would often throw it up. Dymadon is much more pleasant tasting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies, everyone. Lots more tricks to try now ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Strangely enough she's now taking medicine with absolutely no fuss. It was like a switch just flipped about a month ago and now she's good with it.
    This happened with my DD too. We had the hardest time giving her any medicine, no matter what we did she would vomit it all up and just cry like it was the end of the world. Then one day when she was about 2 something just changed, I have no idea how it happened but she needed an antibiotic and I was dreading giving it to her but I offered it and she just took it and since then it hasn't been a problem.