+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I've got 3 kids and they are all so different and slept through at different ages. I was lucky, though as none of mine woke regularly at night for long periods of time. It was either sickness or teeth. My third went through the 4 month wonder week for about 6 weeks but was sleeping through for 8 hours at less than a week old.

Even now, she is the only one out of my 3 who will sleep later than 7 and sleep longer if she has a late night. I often have to wake her on the days I work. It is not unusual for her to wake up at 8:30. My other 2 wake at 6:30 no matter what time they go to bed.
    It does seem to have a lot to do with the child's own tendencies. DS is actually a pretty great sleeper, will sleep through our mad dogs barking, having the bright overhead light turned on, me telling DH off for turning the light on.... But after three hours Bing! It's like a timer goes off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are very right about kids being so different. My dd3 is almost 6wks old. At this age dd1 was sleeping 10-12hr stretches overnight. Dd2 was feeding 3hrly clockwork and dd3 does a 8hr stretch then a 3hr one.

No sleep training at all, just a solid bedtime routine and their personalities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    It does seem to have a lot to do with the child's own tendencies. DS is actually a pretty great sleeper, will sleep through our mad dogs barking, having the bright overhead light turned on, me telling DH off for turning the light on.... But after three hours Bing! It's like a timer goes off.
    In that case I think he needs the feed.

It is very disheartening when your baby wakes and ppl tell you that they baby sleeps so well. I know I used to feel like this till someone on this forum told me that babies waking overnight IS the biological NORM. That babies that are coerced to sleep thru when not ready is only going to cause grief to both parent and child. Babies and children will wake with hunger, sickness, teeth, nightmares, anxiety etc. It's how you respond to it that matters.

That's when I changed my attitude to parenting. I parent to what my kids need, whether overnight feeds at 11mths or a cuddle to get over a nightmare at 4yo. They don't stop needing me at a certain arbitrary age.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (13-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    In that case I think he needs the feed.

It is very disheartening when your baby wakes and ppl tell you that they baby sleeps so well. I know I used to feel like this till someone on this forum told me that babies waking overnight IS the biological NORM. That babies that are coerced to sleep thru when not ready is only going to cause grief to both parent and child. Babies and children will wake with hunger, sickness, teeth, nightmares, anxiety etc. It's how you respond to it that matters.

That's when I changed my attitude to parenting. I parent to what my kids need, whether overnight feeds at 11mths or a cuddle to get over a nightmare at 4yo. They don't stop needing me at a certain arbitrary age.
    Exactly. I think that's just how he feeds. And although we've started solids in a playful half-BLW/some purée kind of way I can't just suddenly give him three course dinners because that would be a recipe for constipation and unhappiness all around.

At the moment with this nasty chest cold I'm glad he's getting as many antibodies as possible from breastfeeding.

I mostly was just curious to know if the intervals themselves might increase. When he was smaller he used to do a four hour sleep first, then three hourly after that and if I can just get back to that I'd be happy. Four then three is seven hours of sleep with only one feed!!

Like we all say, it's not a problem until it's a problem and so far I'm doing ok.

Plus this is a little selfish but it's the best diet ever! I'm down from 95kgs at his birth to 76.9 at last count...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's good that you don't see night waking as a problem. I was up feeding my Dd3 last night and it was just so precious. Just her and me.

On the solids note. I didn't start my girls till 6-6.5 mths and I'm keen to delay it till 7mths + for dd3 as I don't think too much too soon is good for my babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Did sleep intervals ever increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    . I parent to what my kids need.
    I think most parents try to this however in reality no mum or dad parents solely based on what their kid needs. That's an impossible task.

Every parent (regardless of what side of the fence they sit on) is affected by their own needs, personal views, culture and lifestyle when it comes to raising kids. Our decisions regarding everything from how to put bub to sleep to when to start solids are rarely based 100% on what the child 'needs.'

It's rare that a parent doesn't have their kids best interests at heart regardless of whether they co-sleep, formula feed, breastfeed, start solids at 4 months, start solids at 7 months, follow a routine, don't follow a routine.
    Last edited by VicPark; 13-11-2015 at 15:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think most parents try to this however in reality no mum or dad parents solely based on what their kid needs. That's an impossible task.

Every parent (regardless of what side of the fence they sit on) is affected by their own needs, personal views, culture and lifestyle when it comes to raising kids. Our decisions regarding everything from how to put bub to sleep to when to start solids are rarely based 100% on what the child 'needs.'

It's rare that a parent doesn't have their kids best interests at heart regardless of whether they co-sleep, formula feed, breastfeed, start solids at 4 months, start solids at 7 months, follow a routine, don't follow a routine.
    ????

I said I parent to what my kids need vs parenting them to what other kids do.

So if my kids need me to hold their hand as they sleep- ok. If they need me to feed them overnight till 12+ mths - ok. If the need to hold them as they sleep (dd3 is currently on ne snoring but wakes instantly if I put her down)- ok.

I was encouraging @ScubaGal to parent HER child HER way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds did do longer stretches alone, going from 3 hourly to 4 and 5. Then at 6 mo it all went downhill and he was waking anything up to 6x a night between 12-6am. No amount of solids (he eats like a horse)/crawling/day activities/day sleeps etc etc made a lick of difference to his night wakings.

At 9.5 mo I was exhausted and saw a sleep psych, she recommended night weaning so we made a plan and by 3/4 nights later ds was sleeping through. At 14mo he wakes once a night about 3 nights a week, and sleeps through the rest of the time. I still expect night wakings and am happy with how we are going now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Ds did do longer stretches alone, going from 3 hourly to 4 and 5. Then at 6 mo it all went downhill and he was waking anything up to 6x a night between 12-6am. No amount of solids (he eats like a horse)/crawling/day activities/day sleeps etc etc made a lick of difference to his night wakings.

At 9.5 mo I was exhausted and saw a sleep psych, she recommended night weaning so we made a plan and by 3/4 nights later ds was sleeping through. At 14mo he wakes once a night about 3 nights a week, and sleeps through the rest of the time. I still expect night wakings and am happy with how we are going now.
    Those hourly wakings are pretty awful, leaves you feeling like a zombie. We are at six months already and the three hourly intervals have been pretty consistent for several months, even through teeth and two colds...

I think ultimately to reduce my number of wakings it'll mean weaning off some of those night feeds but we aren't ready for that just yet. I will ultimately have to wean sooner than I'd like so that I can have another IVF transfer so that's another reason I'm happy being a milk maid while I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    ...to be honest I could probably also try not feeding him sometimes when he wakes, I know there have been a handful of times I woke up to him nattering and thought "I'll get up in a sec" only to wake up again three hours later having accidentally skipped the feed and him having self soothed back to sleep but I do try every now and again and get the opposite result where he just ramps up to full blown awake and upset, so I mostly choose the path of least resistance and feed him as soon as he squawks just so the night goes easier. Feeding to sleep works so well it's hard not to use it and lately it's been helping him get longer day naps and a little nap for me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-11-2015)