+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did sleep intervals ever increase?

Subbing as I'm in the same camp with nearly 5mth old DD1.. Not interested in forcing her to change but then wondering if in 6mths she'll still be the same and I'll have anyway to as I'll be back at work.

My instinct says let her find her own way but then I don't want to miss the wood for the trees and be dealing with this long term..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Ok so DS1 is still consistently waking every three hours overnight and breastfeeding.

I'm not interested in starting a debate over sleep methods or whether he needs to feeds etc.

What I would like to know is whether anyone who had a similar pattern - 3 hourly waking found that the intervals increased - to four hourly or five on their own?

If so, when did It happen and did it coincide with anything? Longer day naps? Increased solids? Crawling/walking and expending more energy etc?

Thanks
    DS2 was waking 3 hourly and worsened at about 12 months to every 30-60 minutes. Eventually I got tough and refused to offer him milk between 12-5am. That was 2 months ago. Now at 13.5 months he will still wake between 1-3x a night.

So basically it didn't get better with time, it got worse, until I drastically intervened and even now he doesnt sleep thru.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Subbing as I'm in the same camp with nearly 5mth old DD1.. Not interested in forcing her to change but then wondering if in 6mths she'll still be the same and I'll have anyway to as I'll be back at work.

My instinct says let her find her own way but then I don't want to miss the wood for the trees and be dealing with this long term..
    Its child dependent. And also how much you want to 'force' the issue.

My two older kids were very different in their feeding needs. Plus I'm very much a believer of child led parenting till 12mths ish. Then I gently guide them into the family routine/Pattern.

Yes there were times I went to work with 2-4 hrs broken sleep. But that didn't last forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Its child dependent. And also how much you want to 'force' the issue.

My two older kids were very different in their feeding needs. Plus I'm very much a believer of child led parenting till 12mths ish. Then I gently guide them into the family routine/Pattern.

Yes there were times I went to work with 2-4 hrs broken sleep. But that didn't last forever.
    Yeah. I very much believe a huge amount is luck of the drawer. I have a few friends with bubs that sleep through the night and they didn't coerce them. It just happened organically. I have a great day napper who drifts off every hour a half with minimal fuss so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

It's important to me not to be a pushover but to let DD guide me in what she needs for as long as it's working for both of us. I enjoy my mid morning snoozes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Did sleep intervals ever increase?

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Ok so DS1 is still consistently waking every three hours overnight and breastfeeding.

I'm not interested in starting a debate over sleep methods or whether he needs to feeds etc.

What I would like to know is whether anyone who had a similar pattern - 3 hourly waking found that the intervals increased - to four hourly or five on their own?

If so, when did It happen and did it coincide with anything? Longer day naps? Increased solids? Crawling/walking and expending more energy etc?

Thanks
    How old is your bub?

For my boys longer sleep periods was connected with age (gut size) and solids intake. From memory sleep stints at night were consistently longer than 3 hours after about 7 weeks? Memory is hazy on that one though. By 5-6 months my boys were sleeping 12ish hours at night.

I'm also a believer that in the absence of medical issues if an older bub is waking regularly through the night it's probably more to do with preventable reasons such the timing and length of day naps, how bub is put to sleep/settled at night etc.

Beware of the dreaded 4 month sleep regression - it's an ******** of a thing.
    Last edited by VicPark; 12-11-2015 at 21:42.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yes, my ds naturally increased his sleep intervals. I can't remember completely but he was still waking 3 hourly up until 9 months or so. His sleep improved heaps with crawling at 11 months (most improvement in day nap). By 12 months I think he was sleeping 5 hrs straight which he did until 18 months (he often woke several times between bed & 11pm). After 18 months he only occasionally wakes between 10-11pm and has started sleeping through occasionally from 20 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope my DD1 never slept longer than 2-2.5 hrs overnight until I intervened and night weaned. She was 7 months old when I started a firm routine with her and in 3 days she was a drastically different baby and I was a new woman. I was nearly 3 months with DD2 at that stage so something had to give, it was utterly exhausting.

The biggest thing I changed was stop feeding to sleep, I believe there are many *gentle* things you can implement and still get a big change. Ie good nighttime routine, encouraging day sleeps etc. I believe sleep promotes sleep I really hope things improve for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Yes, my ds naturally increased his sleep intervals. I can't remember completely but he was still waking 3 hourly up until 9 months or so. His sleep improved heaps with crawling at 11 months (most improvement in day nap). By 12 months I think he was sleeping 5 hrs straight which he did until 18 months (he often woke several times between bed & 11pm). After 18 months he only occasionally wakes between 10-11pm and has started sleeping through occasionally from 20 months.
    I feel like crawling might make a difference when it happens. DS has a lot of energy that I think it's hard for him to expend at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How old is your bub?

For my boys longer sleep periods was connected with age (gut size) and solids intake. From memory sleep stints at night were consistently longer than 3 hours after about 7 weeks? Memory is hazy on that one though. By 5-6 months my boys were sleeping 12ish hours at night.

I'm also a believer that in the absence of medical issues if an older bub is waking regularly through the night it's probably more to do with preventable reasons such the timing and length of day naps, how bub is put to sleep/settled at night etc.

Beware of the dreaded 4 month sleep regression - it's an ******** of a thing.
    I think day naps are a factor, lately I've been managing to get him to have some 1.5 hr naps with a lot of effort, he will only do 45 minutes if I leave him to it, but it's not a consistent enough change to see any effect overnight.

I'm not yet at the point where the night waking is particularly a problem and seeing as we are only just starting to play with solids, if we dropped all the night feeds that would be half his food intake gone. He's a big boy but not fat, just tall and strong like his dad.

He's six months in a week and a half but currently fighting a nasty chest cold and we've just come through the first two teeth so for now we are just co-sleeping and that works fine for us (kicked DH out of the bedroom).

I think if we get to crawling and proper solids meals and there's zero change to his sleep I'll look at intervening then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've got 3 kids and they are all so different and slept through at different ages. I was lucky, though as none of mine woke regularly at night for long periods of time. It was either sickness or teeth. My third went through the 4 month wonder week for about 6 weeks but was sleeping through for 8 hours at less than a week old.

Even now, she is the only one out of my 3 who will sleep later than 7 and sleep longer if she has a late night. I often have to wake her on the days I work. It is not unusual for her to wake up at 8:30. My other 2 wake at 6:30 no matter what time they go to bed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-11-2015)