+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advise - conceiving

Hi all

I recently went to a new dr today for a check up after surgery I had.
    Since the surgery I have lost 6 kgs in 3 months however I asked when I can fall pregnant eg what weight etc he said when I get to my BMI in quiet a rude way.
    I advised him I wasnt even that in year 9 high school (now 32 & just above 100kg) i was made to feel rather embarrassed & ashamed.
    My realistic question is at what size can I try to fall pregnant safely? I know il always have curves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey well done on losing 6kg. How did you manage that?

I think you may hear the odd exception online but for the most part your doctors advice is probably correct - it would be best to shoot for somewhere near your bmi range to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

Did your doc give you any tips on losing extra weight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There isn't really a right answer here. Some people find losing weight can help them conceive.. Others have no issue at a higher weight.

It's probably worth looking into your local/ preferred hospital and making sure they cater for people with higher BMI as some hospitals have a cut off.

Other than that make sure you're trying to stay active and eating as well as you can, and start trying whenever you're ready.

Look after yourself and good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    God no don't wait! I mean try and lose weight but having a perfect BMI and 40 year old eggs isn't going to help you. Try now. By all means try and lose weight while you're trying. But don't let your weight hold you back from living your life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done on the weight loss; pregnancy is tough on the body, I'm reasonably fit and it was tough on me. If you can loose a bit more before trying your body will thank you,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was 101kgs when I fell pregnant with my daughter and was in perfect health. No pregnancy complications at all xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay, nice work on the weight loss!! Honestly, I wouldn't wait, if a baby is what you want - go for it!
    I started at 60kg with my first DD and 117kg with DD4, had no problem with falling pregnant, the delivery (c/s) or the recovery..

Thanks
    Reviews
    All pregnancies have risks so there's no 'safe' one if you know what I mean. The risks are a bit higher if you're overweight.

6kg in 3 months is good progress

Could you use the next 6-12 months getting as healthy as you can then start TTC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't wait either if it's what you want now, I'd still try losing while ttc and trying to maintain physical activity and healthy eating while pregnant but I've been well over my bmi for both pregnancies (I am also very short so my recommended weight is tiny I wasn't that small in early high school). There can be complications in any pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I agree on not waiting too.