+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'm a bit useless because I only ever had one job interview, but I could not cope being asked about data, unless '***** data' would be deemed an appropriate response.

The iPad question: blah blah blah intuitive design, empower students initially by getting them to teach you and show you what apps they like etc; use for reluctant writers for dictation feature or to record themselves and listen back and transcribe; use video function for assessment and evidence of learning and to show in parent interviews; take home and practise; say it's just like any other new implementation in the classroom - read about it, learn about it, practise in own time, seek advice from others, nail it!

Classroom stuff is hard to pin down. I usually start with my philosophy, because then you can answer a slightly different question. So I'm like 'I obvs am heaps sick at programming and planning and have experience in all learning areas with xyz age groups in con positive classes, but believe children cannot learn unless they feel safe and secure in the classroom. This is how I make this happen: focus on fostering positive relationships by xyz, value student voice, give them choice where possible, total awesome behaviour management. When you have good relationships with trust you intuitively know what works best for each student meaning that if you put in the time at the start of the year you can virtually program individually while of course maintaining high expectations of all' etc...

Probably none of this helps but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you know who you are as an educator and what you value. When you speak from that perspective you will come across as genuine and knowledgeable.

Also, don't be afraid to say you're nervous because this appointment/working at this particular school means a lot to you.

Good luck x
    Are you serious? Most helpful answer yet! Thank you!

(Most annoyed that the best emoticons don't work on the app so you can't see how cute me bowdown is!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow... I really miss teaching. I've been out so long I'm not sure I can go back.

I really hope you get it Nomsie! I think you will be fine. You just need to remember to stop and breathe if you need to think, and ask for clarification/if you're on the right track/if they want you to elaborate. Easier said than done, I know. You clearly know your stuff and have a great background. You just need to figure out the best ways to get it across. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ok.. It's a bit late and it's a Friday night so I'm not expecting much help tonight but it would be appreciated!

I've been practicing responses to likely questions in my head and while I'm fairly happy (but not ecstatic) with my answers I need help with my main problem: nerves.

Short of having a few drinks and getting loose before the interview (although that would be pretty funny) I need help with overcoming my nerves. I get so nervous that I can't follow a coherent train of thought and forget the most basic of sentences.

I suppose I can take notes in there- would that be ok?
    Or does anyone else have a suggestion to combat nerves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by Little Ted; 21-11-2015 at 21:34.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    when is the itnerview?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    You can also make a list of questions to ask them (but if it's where you've previously worked you may already know most of the answers!).

Nerves - think about the worst-case scenario and place it all in perspective. Other than that I have no idea...mine are just starting to ramp up. I've just made a list of possible areas that they may cover. Need to study-up over the weekend. Began the other night, but there are so many variables that depend on what they use at the school.

Out of curiosity - what apps would one recommend using with young students? Any other brilliant ideas for ICT integration?
    PicCollage is huge at this school. They use it almost daily for projects, recounts, story telling etc.
    that's all I've got haha! I was just going to roll with Harvs idea about using the mic and camera.

@bh-katies mum it's on Wednesday afternoon. I should have chosen the early morning appt!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Interview Today. Pooping myself. Studying hard while DD is bed, but I'm not sure why I'm bothering because as soon as I get into that little room I know I will forget absolutely everything again.

I went shopping for some 'professional' clothes yesterday, and my god it's enough to make me want to run and hide. My boobs meant I had to buy a size 18 top for the first time ever- WTF boobs!? And the skirt I bought will need suck-em-in undies underneath and it's bloody HOT today! Arghhhhh!

But, I'm trying to remain positive despite what I said above. I need this job. I want this job, I am so hungry for it! It literally is my only opportunity locally and I am hanging on by a thread. I have to go in there and show them my hunger and determination, because that- and not my answers to their questions, because I'm a fumbler when nervous- will be my key to success.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Good luck!

Don't be worried about telling them you're nervous straight up. It can relax the mood.

If you forget something you can make a quip about your learning style and you should have given yourself some notes to follow just like you would for a student...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (18-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find what helps me is kind of a pretend attitude of "it doesn't matter if I don't get it, something else will come up" (not obvious to them of course, remain positive and enthusiastic!)

Usually this is a straight up lie but if I can remember this I tend to have more confidence and less nerves while doing the interview.

Ask them to repeat questions and ask them if they need more clarification once you've answered it. I interviewed last week and they only had 3 questions, but there were about 5 parts to each question. Gah! They were happy to repeat the question though and seemed happy when I asked them if they wanted more info/clarification from me.

Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (18-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for the last minute tips!

I have sweaty palms and need to nervous pee already. I really shouldn't put all my self-worth into a job, should I? I'm sure it's not healthy...