+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Help- interview tips

I'm a terrible interviewee. Luckily for me, I haven't had to do it in a good ten years. Unluckily for me, I haven't had to do it in a good ten years.

I had an interview about a month ago and I was pretty pathetic. I didn't have enough time to prepare (hours between the phone call and the interview) and I was so nervous I forgot key terms related to teaching. Such as unit. I forgot a block of work revolving around one topic was a unit. What a unit am I!

So, fellow teachers, and basically anyone who is good in these types of situations, please give me your best tips for interviews. I know my application is strong- working in one small school for the past ten years (minus family leave time) has given me plenty of opportunity to look excellent on paper- literacy coordinator, organising extra curricular activities such as school sports, j-rock, school camps etc.

This interview is at the same school with the same panel. (Hopefully the same questions, but I won't hold my breath!)

Help please- I'm desperate to get this job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Think of questions you think might be asked, especially in relation to the selection criteria. Then think of some STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) responses. It helps if you can think of responses that could be used across multiple questions, because chances are they won't ask all the questions you think of, but it also means less to remember.
    Know your application inside out. Those are the things that meet the criteria, and that's what they are looking for.
    Speak to all the panel members.
    If you can't think of an answer straight away, ask if you can have a moment to think or if you can come back to it.
    If you aren't exactly sure what they're asking, request clarification. Similarly, if you aren't sure you have answered with quite what they wanted to hear, ask them if that is what they were looking for, if they want you to clarify or to go into more depth.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (13-11-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, assume they know nothing about you - answer the questions with the response as full and detailed as is necessary to completely understand where you're coming from.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-11-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As a teacher. .and having had my fair share of interviews in the last while. ...these are my tips.

I usually use a STAR type method. Reference back to situations where you can use your own experience and blow your own trumpet so to speak.
    They'll likely ask you how to handle difficult parent situations.
    A difficult student behaviour.
    Possible give you an example of a student struggling and what you would do help.
    Think differentiation...inclusion. .enquiry based learning. ... open ended questions. .
    These are popular at the moment. At least I've been asked questions in interviews recently all based around those.
    If it's a private or independent school try to memorize the school vision/mission statement/philosophy.

Also talk about future learning and areas of interest that you can add to the school culture. Eg.. professional development in say autism studies and how your own PD can give back to the school.

That's all I can think of for now. Some of my recent interviews have been an hour and they asked me some tough curly questions!!!! Don't forget it's okay to pause and think. Even asking to repeat the question.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Things to throw in - collegiality, blended learning (IT), proactive parent communication, perspectives of the Australian curriculum, independent and group studies, lifelong learning etc

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2015),Tamtam  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Usually the interview questions are based around application questions/ section criteria so it's at that point I think of STAR response examples

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    See I practiced in the short time I had last time for questions based around the KSC, but they asked me:

1. About my experience with iPads (limited, given my last school introduced them weeks before I left to have dd. Even then it was 10 for the whole school whereas this school has a 1:1 policy from grade 3 upwards) and how I would implement their use in the classroom, thinking about level 2 in particular. (Majority of my experience is level 4)

2) what I would do if I had a student with behavioural issues interrupting my lesson (I think I went off on a tangent answering that one)

3) what my planning looks like, and how I compile evidence of learning for all students and differentiate learning. (I struggled a lot to be succinct and detailed- nerves got the better of me!)

So, taking question 1 into consideration, I had basically no knowledge of apps I should or could be using for level 2 apart from reading eggs and mathletics (have since thought of 3 or 4 more) and couldn't say how I would make use of them daily. I finished up a bit lamely with "but I'm a very fast learner and you only have to show me something once"
    Does that explain a little bit why I need help?!

Also: does anyone take in things like examples of planners, evidence of learning, educational philosophies etc?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had an interview on Monday for a teaching position (and found out tonight I got the job ) - so scary but here are my tips.

1. Be confident. Fake it 'til you make it.
    2. Take something with you to show them at the end. I took my results from diagnostic tests (so the pre test and post test results).
    3. Know and be familiar with ACARA
    4. Be confident!

I was asked about differentiation and how I use my data to inform my teaching. How do I establish a supportive and inclusive learning environment. I was asked how I plan my units and about how I use ACARA, and also about what value I see in moderation. There was a question relating to the professional standards and the last question was about how I use ICTs to promote higher level learning.

Good luck!
    x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (13-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    I had an interview on Monday for a teaching position (and found out tonight I got the job ) - so scary but here are my tips.

1. Be confident. Fake it 'til you make it.
    2. Take something with you to show them at the end. I took my results from diagnostic tests (so the pre test and post test results).
    3. Know and be familiar with ACARA
    4. Be confident!

I was asked about differentiation and how I use my data to inform my teaching. How do I establish a supportive and inclusive learning environment. I was asked how I plan my units and about how I use ACARA, and also about what value I see in moderation. There was a question relating to the professional standards and the last question was about how I use ICTs to promote higher level learning.

Good luck!
    x
    Firstly- congratulations!

Secondly- omg those questions have me nearly hyperventilating. I'm over 2 years out of practice- and I'm sure I have practiced all those things in the classroom but coming up with examples is nearly killing me.

Also- we use AusVels here in Vic. (Yes, Acara is not quite nation- wide ) and whilst I am comfortable with the content I can never remember the particular domains and standards etc.

Yikes- I think I have a lot of study to do this week

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm a bit useless because I only ever had one job interview, but I could not cope being asked about data, unless '***** data' would be deemed an appropriate response.

The iPad question: blah blah blah intuitive design, empower students initially by getting them to teach you and show you what apps they like etc; use for reluctant writers for dictation feature or to record themselves and listen back and transcribe; use video function for assessment and evidence of learning and to show in parent interviews; take home and practise; say it's just like any other new implementation in the classroom - read about it, learn about it, practise in own time, seek advice from others, nail it!

Classroom stuff is hard to pin down. I usually start with my philosophy, because then you can answer a slightly different question. So I'm like 'I obvs am heaps sick at programming and planning and have experience in all learning areas with xyz age groups in con positive classes, but believe children cannot learn unless they feel safe and secure in the classroom. This is how I make this happen: focus on fostering positive relationships by xyz, value student voice, give them choice where possible, total awesome behaviour management. When you have good relationships with trust you intuitively know what works best for each student meaning that if you put in the time at the start of the year you can virtually program individually while of course maintaining high expectations of all' etc...

Probably none of this helps but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you know who you are as an educator and what you value. When you speak from that perspective you will come across as genuine and knowledgeable.

Also, don't be afraid to say you're nervous because this appointment/working at this particular school means a lot to you.

Good luck x

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2015),Tamtam  (11-11-2015),Tiny Dancer  (11-11-2015)