+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baking bread from scratch.

I made my first ever loaf of bread and it was OK, a bit doughy. I don't have a bread maker just by hand so any tips on making the perfect loaf?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can buy bread improver at the supermarket it's with the yeast. Add a teaspoon for a fluffier loaf. I use a bread machine now but whenever I did it by hand it would have a heavier texture. Probably over or under kneading or something to do with proving but I'm not sure which!! The bread machine makes a great loaf i have to say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have a stand mixer?

Here is my method:

use 100mls of water for every cup of bread flour (must be bread flour, regular flour is not strong enough and will make the bread too cakey. I use the Kangaroo brand in large sacks available from Coles / Woolies with the flour).

Anyway, I generally use 400mls of flour and four cups of bread flour (white or 3 cups white, 1 cup wholemeal).

1 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons dried yeast or 1 sachet (I use the Lowan brand yeast in the red cannister from Coles and Woolies, heaps cheaper than the Tandaco Sachets)

Tip warm water in bowl, salt and yeast, and half the flour.
    Beat with a dough hook for a few minutes until the gluten really starts to develop ie stringy bits start to develop.

Add the rest of the flour and keep on mixing until it comes together in a nice ball. You may need to add a bit more flour / water to get it at the right consistency. I find I get best results if I then keep on mixing for a good 5/10 minutes.

I then tip onto a lightly floured bench and knead by hand for a bit.

Put the dough in a clean lightly oiled bowl. Cover in glad wrap and a teatowel.

Leave to rise / double in bulk.

Bang down in the middle and give a good knead.

Shape into a loaf / bread rolls. I get about 12 from 4 cups of flour.

Allow to rise a second time.

Bake in oven.

Enjoy hot straight from the oven.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. With a bread machine do u just buy a bread mix and chuck it all in?

Thanks SSecret Squirrel....when u prove the second time do u cover it again or just let it sit?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    When I make bread by hand the two things that made the biggest difference to the bread texture were kneading time (I have to knead it for at least five minutes) and the second proving time - after the first prove when it's doubled in size ( usually takes half an hour to an hour) I then shape my loaf and leave it uncovered and in a warm spot until it has doubled in size (again, can take up to an hour) and then pop it in the oven.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Thanks ladies. With a bread machine do u just buy a bread mix and chuck it all in?

Thanks SSecret Squirrel....when u prove the second time do u cover it again or just let it sit?
    I just let it sit while the oven is heating up. I cover it again with the teatowel.

I used to have a breadmaker but got rid of it because it was just taking up room in the cupboard. I get better results with my Kitchen Aid. My mum has made it 100% by hand before no stand mixer, and it tasted great, even better than mine in a Kitchen Aid. Her secret was lots of kneading.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah i dont really want another appliance clogging up my kitchen anyway. I love cooking and baking but frustrating when it doesnt turn out.

I tried making another loaf again earlier today and it didnt rise at all. Maybe i didnt knead enough? Got slack this time lol

eta i used just regular flour again but wholemeal this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. I love baking and am reasonably good at it but bread is the one thing I just cannot master. Always comes out smelling really yeasty or goes stale within a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine have only really worked well when I have kneaded right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe ill just stick to buying it