+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 year old sleep problems

My DD1 who is 2 years old has been sleeping with DH and I for a few months and its getting to the point where she is keeping me awake.

I also have 7 month old who is waking every 2 hours.

I am going back to work in a couple of months and I want to get DD1 back into her bed but every time I put her to bed she gets so upset and when i finally get her to sleep she might only sleep in her bed for around 2-3 hours and then wakes up hysterical and screams until she can come into bed with us. She is always demanding night bottles which I started when she was sick not long ago and now Its become a habit.

Can anyone share their success stories on getting their toddler back into their own bed? And also how I can drop the night bottle?

Its all getting too much with the lack of sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly, at 2yo you probably need to get tough with the bottle. She doesn't need it, so don't make it an option. Does she have access to water, like a drink bottle in her room?

When DD was 2yo, we got into a similar situation. She would wake in the middle of the night and come into our bed. We just went with it because it was easier and everyone got more sleep that way. However, when I was about 5 or 6 months pregnant with DS we knew we needed to get her back into her own bed before the baby arrived. We started by taking her back to her bed when she got up and one of us would sleep in there with her (she has a king single). Then we started lying with her until she was asleep and then leaving. After a week or so of that, DH would just take her back to her bed and tuck her in, then leave straight away. She soon started sleeping through in her own bed. She fought it a little but we stuck with it and it worked.

You can be tougher and insist she stays in her own bed, and be prepared for a few rough nights. It's up to you how you want to go about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For both of you... Does your 2 yr olds sleep through the night now? I have a 51/2 yo and a 3 yo. My 5 sleeps great and has since she was 2 but my 3 yo wakes every few hours just being fussy. Idk what it is but she won't stop fussing until someone pats her to sleep and some nights I feel it's worse then having a new born. The doc said I just got lucky with my 5 yr old sleeping through the night that early but honestly at what age do we question it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my older two kids (now 3&5) went thru this at 2yo.

What we did was take them back to their bed as @Cue said and lie down with them there. If we fell asleep no biggie.

Nightwaking is really common but no one talks about it for fear of being judged. My dd1 now 5 occasionally (1-2 a week) will come into bed with me. Meh. No biggie. She doesn't snore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 2 year old sleep problems

Hey there regarding your 7 month old waking every couple of hours. If it's happening to the point where a adult intervention is required to re-settle then unless there are underlying medical issues there are things you can to do help ensure bub sleeps through.

1) solids - what is bubs solid intake like? 3x day with plenty of protein and carb?
    2) ensure the sleep environment is the same when bub falls asleep as it is through the night. Don't transfer bub to a different location after falling asleep. Don't pat bub to sleep unless you are pre-pared to pat through the night. Don't feed to sleep unless you are ok with feeding back to sleep through the night.
    3). Use a comforter at sleep time. Every sleep time regardless of whether it's in the cot/pram/car. Only use it at sleep time.
    4) look at timing and length of day naps - both can affect night sleep.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone for responding.

I normally put my 7 month old to bed at 7pm and goes to sleel in her cot with a dummy. She soothes herself to sleep. She is currently only have solids at dinner time. I will increase her solids and see if that makes a difference.
    She 3 days sleeps of roughly 1-2 hours each time.

As for my 2 year old, when she wakes, I will try laying with her until she goes back to sleep.

Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of bottles for a 2 year old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey ruby. I don't have specific advice on getting rid of bottles however when my eldest was 2 he responded really well to sticker reward charts. Maybe something like that can help with getting rid of the bottle? Perhaps talking to your toddler about it all for a few weeks first would help (I found my toddler needed a few weeks to feet used to a new system/concept).

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just inteoduced milk in a sippy cup by 18mths with my boys. They weaned on their own at about 2