+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5.5 month old. Routine or no routine? Sleeping issues?

Hi everyone, I have a 5.5 month old. He is a lovely and happy little boy most of the time, but still has common moments of crying where he is clearly overtired and won't wind down.
    I don't have any routine in the day really, just get up about 7 for a feed, and breakfast about 8, lunch about 12, and tea about 5.30 (he has started solids about a month ago), and to bed somewhere between 7 and 8.

He sleeps well at night once he's down, only waking up for one feed and straight back to sleep. But in the day his feeds and sleeps are all over the place. Sometimes he sleeps for a few hours, but sometimes for 15 mins. When he has a short sleep like that, there is nothing I can do to make him sleep again. He just lays in the cot cooing to himself and kicking his legs around (he's usually happy when he wakes up). But sometimes within the hour he is after another sleep and grizzly, if u get him to sleep he may only sleep for another 15 mins.

Also some of his sleeps are in the ergo, some bed sharing with me if I'm sleepy, some in the car if I'm going out, and some in his cradle. I usually try to put him in his cradle first after a book and blinds closed and try to pat him to sleep, but usually I resort to feeding him to sleep, and if he wakes up later I either lay with him or put him in the ergo (which is a very common occurrence).

At night I always feed him to sleep (which is something I didn't mean to get into the habit of, I just planned to feed him 10 mins before bed but he always ended up falling asleep anyway, and now it is such a strong habit, but is so easy at night to get him to sleep (but so hard in public or put at family's house, he won't go to any other place but his bed easily at night... Usually anyway, sometimes I still get him out of bed and just sleep him in our bed with us)

Anyway, as you can see no structure to our day really, and the only things I can really rely on most of the time is feeding to sleep, and sleeping with us or in the ergo. I just don't know how to break these habits. (I'm not sure if feeding to sleep is a problem)

Is it bad that I don't have a routine? What are your routines for a 5.5 month old? How can I get one and do I need one? I've tried tizzy halls save our sleep routine, but my baby is so stubborn and wants what he wants when he wants it how he wants it. I am so condused. I sometimes feel like such a bad mum because I have been told I spoil him because I hardly ever leave him and in the way that I put him in the ergo. And also that it is such a bad thing that I feed him to sleep. I don't even know what's right anymore, but would like a lot more structure to our day and not have to feed him to sleep and be able to put him to bed easier, especially in the day. But on the other hand I love wearing him and dont like being seperate from him, I'm confused!!!!
    Last edited by Jane17031703; 11-11-2015 at 13:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds to me that you are doing a great job! Feed him to sleep if you want to, share a bed, wear him in the ergo, it is all good! You really can't spoil him.
    I would however suggest a bit of structure to your day might help him get enough day sleep. I followed Save our sleep routines, when my youngest was that age - you don't have to follow the book, but I found a bit more awake time meant he would sleep for longer, and when they get into a bit of a routine, they are sleepy at the same time each day, so it all gets a bit easier.
    Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like you're doing a brilliant job! Only one overnight feed? Lucky you. I've tried both having a routine and just taking cues from DS1 who is nearly six months and no matter what I do, his sleeping patterns remain pretty consistent - he wakes every three hours overnight.

The only thing I found with having a routine was added stress - constantly watching a clock so we didn't miss sleeps, working so hard to put him to bed because the clock said so when he really probably wasn't tired enough on a particular day at a particular time, feeling guilty if he woke early etc. Now I just roll with it.

Your baby sounds like he's a baby and a well loved and cared for one. If you are coping fine then I think there's nothing to worry about.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The feeding to sleep, bed sharing, baby wearing etc are only problems if you're unhappy with them. If you're happy to do it and baby is happy, then it's all good.

You might find that after about 6/7mo your bub will find his own routine. It's much easier when they are only napping twice a day as the timings get a little more predictable and their naps a little longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Remember this phrase.... it's only a problem if it's a problem. Seriously. There's no need to do things a certain way just because. If you're happy and bub's happy, then there's no problem.

My 5 month old has a rough pattern during the day, but no intentional routine. I'd love the occasional longer nap (he sleeps 20 minutes for most naps), but not to the extent that I'm willing to try to push it. I tried that with my first child and that way (for me) madness lies.

My boy sleeps in carriers, the bassinet, the car, the pram and in my bed. We get him to sleep with movement, cuddles, feeding, the dummy and/or a hand on his chest. It's not what I'd IDEALLY like, but nothing is with kids. It works forus, so there's no problem We'll re-assess if and when it no longer works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 5.5 month old. Routine or no routine? Sleeping issues?

I'm a big one for routine however If not having a routine doesn't bother you then don't worry about it.

If bub is regularly getting tired and cranky after only having 15 minutes sleep then you may want to look into that. Whether that means implementing a routine, trying to watch bubs tired signs more closely, ensuring bub has access to an appropriate sleep environment at sleep time, adjusting the sleep environment, adjusting how you put bub to sleep etc - that all depends.

I for one loved the 2 x 2 hour naps at that age and for that to work some routine was necessary. As long as bub is happy and healthy though whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-11-2015 at 19:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's great bub feeds to sleep and only wakes once overnight!!! Feeding to sleep is only a problem if it means bub has a sleep association with feeding and wakes a lot at night. Sleep associations are rubbish anyway- I swear there is no such thing. Keep going, sounds great.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Sleep associations are rubbish anyway- I swear there is no such thing.
    I have to disagree with that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you happy or ok with your sons daily pattern? If yes then let it be.

Are you happy to feed to sleep? Bedshare and use an ergo as desired?

Then enjoy it. Ive fed my babies to sleep x3, rocked them, patted them, cuddled them, bedshared and I've loved every minute of it.

He is your son! Love him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane17031703 View Post
    but would like a lot more structure to our day and not have to feed him to sleep and be able to put him to bed easier, especially in the day. But on the other hand I love wearing him and dont like being seperate from him, I'm confused!!!!
    Maybe you could implement some type of structure to your day while still getting plenty of cuddles/attachment during bubs waking hours. Unless there are medical issues it is possible to get most babies to sleep during the day with minimal need for adult intervention - while still getting plenty of cuddles.

If you're interested in some tips and hints on this feel free to PM me.