+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flying long haul with 15 m/o no seat!

Any tips on how to handle this?? Flying Melb- Dub with a 15 month old.

I can't afford to buy Bub a seat too so thinking of best ways to manage. Will also have two older children and DH will be travelling too. So two adults to share load!!

He's about 12 kgs. We won't be entitled to a bassinet, have already checked.

Wrap/ sling?? I'm not the babywearing type but assumed he would be too old?

Any tips? I'm crossing my fingers the flights won't be busy but I don't like my chances

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify, Bub will have to sit on our laps the whole way unless we get lucky and there's a spare seat next to us. He's also a runner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I held DS and we both slept. He was almost 2. He can always stretch between your laps...

I found the armrest meant my arm wasn't too sore. Also could cushion it with a little pillow.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

yadot  (10-11-2015)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Who are you flying with? I would ask to be seated next to an empty seat if you can. I have done this many times and most airlines are very accomodating, said toddler will have a bit more room to move around. And you can change him etc on the extra seat if needs be.

I would buy some new but engaging toys and wrap them up like presents so that they take a long long time to unwrap and keep said toddler engaged for a while!

Buy some books, lift the flap, make a sound, etc etc

Download some videos on to your ipad, some games, and some interactive books too.

Buy lots of duty free vodka (that's for you, not the toddler )

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

yadot  (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Even if Bub won't fit into a bassinet I would still request a bassinet row. You get a lot more space in front of you then in standard rows.
    Makes everything easier.

I've flown over 10 times long haul between Australia and Europe and have never seen all bassinet rows in used by families. So you'd have a good chance to get one, especially travelling with a 2yo.

Also please use the lavatory to change Bub and not a nearby seat. I know it is very tempting but it's not a good idea to get the crew or fellow passengers on your bad side for such a long trip 😉

My other tips would be some (quiet) new toys and any food he likes. I personally do not worry about a balanced diet in the air. What baby wants baby gets 😅😋

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

yadot  (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just did 2 9hr flights with our 4yo DD and 15mo DS. It was a lot easier than expected. The first flight was during the day, DS had 3 short naps and just played in our laps. We did a fair bit of walking up and down the aisle to occupy him. The second flight was a night flight. They served dinner as soon as we were in the air and DS went to sleep straight after the meal service. He slept in my arms until breakfast was served 6 hours later! I even managed a movie and a few hours sleep.

We didn't take anything special for him, I find at this age that their attention span for toys etc is so short it's not worth carrying all that crap on the flight, so unless there's something that you know will hold their attention I wouldn't bother.

We were lucky that our first flight was only half full so we had room to spread out, but the second was packed so no spare seat for DS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

yadot  (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Even if Bub won't fit into a bassinet I would still request a bassinet row. You get a lot more space in front of you then in standard rows.
    Makes everything easier.

I've flown over 10 times long haul between Australia and Europe and have never seen all bassinet rows in used by families. So you'd have a good chance to get one, especially travelling with a 2yo.

Also please use the lavatory to change Bub and not a nearby seat. I know it is very tempting but it's not a good idea to get the crew or fellow passengers on your bad side for such a long trip 😉

My other tips would be some (quiet) new toys and any food he likes. I personally do not worry about a balanced diet in the air. What baby wants baby gets 😅😋
    For some reason, they've put us in the middle row in the middle of the plane?!

I've phoned and spoken to two different people to ask for bassinet row and I was told because of the age of my child they won't give us one. The second time I called I insisted that we need the row and the man said he was "unable" to change our seating but to speak to somebody at check in. He was obviously just trying to get me off the phone! This is with Etihad. So I'm pretty stressed out. Theyve also given us 3 seats together and one across the aisle instead. I asked if we could have 4 seats in the middle altogether when they refused bassinet but was also told no. Do you know why this might be?

Thanks everyone for replies and tips 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    I travelled long haul when my kids were 3 and 20mths. I was advised not to get bassinet seats as the arm rests don't go up between the seats and the kids can't lay down to sleep.
    Also If you have been issued 3 central seats and one across the aisle you might have the whole central row to yourself. Giving an unofficial seat to your 15mth old.
    If he likes to walk around I'd let him go. Dress him cute and keep him clean and he'll have the run of the plane. People are much more tolerant to clean cute kids. 😋

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with pp, seats in front of bassinet area - the armrests do not go up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Depends on the planes, in some the armrest go up in other it doesn't it's true.
    I've never be bothered by it though as our toddler just lie on the lap of one of us with his legs over the armrest. We put a cushion there and it's fine.

Give me the extra leg room over the folding armrests any day, but it's a personal choice and depends on the kiddie too!