+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Yasmin bcp and headaches

So... I started taking yasmin about three weeks ago. For PMDD and endometriosis symptoms.
    I used to take it about 6 years ago (before DD) and never had issues.
    I've tried a different hormone pill but it made me so nauseous I couldn't do anything.
    Well, three weeks on it and I just keep getting awful headaches. So bad all I want to do is lie down in a dark room (I am prone to hormone headaches but thought the BCP would help).
    I want to keep taking it into next month (skipping the placebo tablets as directed by my dr)...
    I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and did you find it got better? Apart from drinking more water what can I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go get your blood pressure checked @Tamtam. I started bcp prior to my last ivf cycle and was suffering headaches and waking up around 3am feeling sick. My blood pressure was through the roof and the risk of stroke if I continued was quite high. Considering Yasmin has an increased incidence of stroke and dvt I strongly recommend you get it checked asap.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. My BP was checked before I started taking it.
    And it was good. ..if not a little low. I've always had low blood pressure.
    But I hadn't thought that it could have gone up.
    I'll get it checked tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah MY BP has always been low and prior to starting was 110's/60's. After 3 weeks on bcp it was 176/94!!! It was no wonder I felt awful. I took bcp for 10years no problems, stopped when ttc and only took it for ivf. Good luck I hope it's not the case, last thing you need is a return of endo sypmtoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Yeah MY BP has always been low and prior to starting was 110's/60's. After 3 weeks on bcp it was 176/94!!! It was no wonder I felt awful. I took bcp for 10years no problems, stopped when ttc and only took it for ivf. Good luck I hope it's not the case, last thing you need is a return of endo sypmtoms.
    Gosh.
    I really didn't think it could do that since I didn't have it before.
    And yeah. .my BP is very similar to yours!
    Will definitely check it tomorrow.
    Getting very frustrated that is possible I can't take anything to alleviate my symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure how severe your endo is (or your financial situatuon) but there is a relatively new drug to the Australian market that isn't on the PBS called Visanne that alleviates the pain and inflammation associated with endo. If you do have high bp and have to stop it may be worth discussing this medication with you GP/Gynae.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Im not sure how severe your endo is (or your financial situatuon) but there is a relatively new drug to the Australian market that isn't on the PBS called Visanne that alleviates the pain and inflammation associated with endo. If you do have high bp and have to stop it may be worth discussing this medication with you GP/Gynae.
    Thank you.
    I've never had surgical intervention for endo. I'm too scared. I've been putting up with it for so long now.
    I will look up that medication and talk to GP. My finances are awful. .. but it's worth investigating.
    These headaches are debilitating.