+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do You Find This FB "Joke" Offensive?

I was going to go undercover for this one, but I don't think you can post photo's with a new account

Today on FB this came through, posted by my mother. I can't for the life of me find the funny side of this. I don't know why a 70 year old woman would find this funny and not just "like" it, but actually share it on her page to go out to family and friends. I have trouble understanding what thought patterns are behind this. I feel sick. I feel like my mother is someone I don't know and don't understand.

Once when I was a teenager a lady was breastfeeding at the next table in a cafe, and Mum commented "When you and your brother were little you both liked sucking a bit of tit." Which sounds so coarse, but she is not that person - she's not in the least bit bogan, but then she comes out with these horrid things and I don't know what to think. What would you think if this was your Mum posting this?

Funk Stuff.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, it's not my cup of tea. I despise the use of tit or tits when referring to boobs. I don't know why, it just sounds so crass and vulgar to me (and I'm no petal eared princess, I've the foulest mouth I know). I also get really uncomfortable with any memes or jokes that use any sort of sexual suggestiveness with babies or kids. So, so inappropriate IMO. I'm with you on this.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (09-11-2015),MissMuppet  (09-11-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (09-11-2015),Summer  (09-11-2015),TheGooch  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I don't find it particularly funny (I've seen it on my FB lately too) but I don't find it offensive.
    I think tit is a slightly crude word but I wouldn't consider it a rude or swear word.
    Describing a baby as "sucking tits" I also find kind of coarse and bogany, but not offensive.

Is it the comparison to adult male behaviour why it's potentially offensive?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (09-11-2015),Summer  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't find it funny. I'm not really offended by it, I just find it a bit stupid. Teenage boy humour.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Summer  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am impressed your mother knows how to post on Facebook! 😂 mine doesn't even know how to switch on the computer. That said, if she somehow managed to post this, I'd be mortified. It's something I'd expect from an immature male.

It doesn't offend me (but would if my mum had posted it). But I don't find it the least bit funny either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Summer  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't really picture my mum posting this but I don't find it offensive. I've seen it before so one of my friends must have posted it at some point!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Summer  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Do I like it - Nah I don't like that word for breast.

Is it offensive to me. - Nah.

I would much rather see a hundred of these to 1 breasts are shameful and breastfeeding should be hidden away as it dirty and disgusting.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (09-11-2015),Ngaiz  (09-11-2015),smallpotatoes  (09-11-2015),Summer  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't love the word tit but I actually find it kind of cute, and definitely not offensive.

What part of it offended you? Genuine question, I'm dying of curiosity

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Summer  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Yeah, it's not my cup of tea. I despise the use of tit or tits when referring to boobs. I don't know why, it just sounds so crass and vulgar to me (and I'm no petal eared princess, I've the foulest mouth I know). I also get really uncomfortable with any memes or jokes that use any sort of sexual suggestiveness with babies or kids. So, so inappropriate IMO. I'm with you on this.
    Thanks @Moxy I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's the sexual innuendo with babies that I find so offensive. And the sexualisation of breastfeeding as well, that irks me at the best of times, let alone having my mother send this out. Normally if this sort of thing came through my feed I'd just gloss over it, but I think because my Mum shared it I was a bit gobsmacked at such an inappropriate share. Teenage boy humour is right - 70 year old woman? Just weird...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    See I don't see this as sexually suggestive, I see it as a baby who is happy he's getting fed every time he cries! Isn't it interesting how different each persons interpretation can be?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (09-11-2015),Summer  (09-11-2015),TheGooch  (09-11-2015)