+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Word repetition - Is this a normal tantrum for a 4 yr old?

Just wondering if it's normal for a 4.5 yr old to repeat the one word during a tantrum eg: when not allowed to have McDonald's for lunch ds will sit and scream "McDonald's" over and over again. It usually lasts anywhere up to 20 mins depending on his mood.

When he does eventually stop he'll sob and ask for a cuddle (which we give him).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    haha yes, very normal! We've had many a tantrums with things such as "I want it, I want it, I want it", or "it's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair", or "I never get ANYTHING, I never get ANYTHING, I never get ANYTHING!!!!!".

Thanks
    Reviews
    My (very verbal) 3 year old does the same thing. When speaking normally, her sentence structure etc. is similar to a fairly typical 5 year old. When having a tantrum though...usually a single word or something like "no frogs, no frogs, no froooogggsss" (doesn't want the frog pyjamas) etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know other posters have said it's normal but for me I would say no it isn't. Not one of my 4 girls have ever had a tantrum that would last that long or repeat the one word to get something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes very normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a bit worrying for us (which is why i asked). Ds has great verbal communication so to resort to being completely unable to string 2 sentences together is not really like him. It doesn't happen all the time, just once every couple of weeks ish. He says afterwards that he felt very angry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Word repetition - Is this a normal tantrum for a 4 yr old?

Emotional regulation is really hard at this age. If he's feeling realy overwhelmed with anger it's not surprising that he's showing some repetitive behavior. I'm not an expert or anything so if you're worried, of course mention it to your clinic nurse or GP.

Maybe look into some strategies to manage the tantrums/anger rather than focusing on the word repetition. It's great that he can articulate how he was feeling retrospectively, it shows he has some understanding of the emotion so you can probably work with that.

From what I have heard from friends with boys that are 4/5yo, they have all said it's a very emotional age. My DS is only 15mo and my 4yo DD hasn't been much of a tantrum-thrower so I've been lucky so far!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

billykate  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4yo doesn't, she resorts to threats. Usually she won't be my best friend, I can't come up her party etc.

That being said I wouldn't class it as odd.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-11-2015),Wiccan  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My 4yo doesn't, she resorts to threats. Usually she won't be my best friend, I can't come up her party etc.

My 4yo DD says exactly the same! When she's angry I get "you're NOT my best friend!" and "you're NOT coming to my party!". If I explain that there will be no cake unless I'm invited she soon changes her mind!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post

This is what I get too and my DD is 4 in December. She usually throws in some begging too or tries to negotiate.

Seems from previous posts that it is quite a common occurrence though.