+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help: toilet training 3 yr old who REFUSES to sit on the toilet or potty

Hello!

So my son (who is 3 in a week) is showing lots of signs he is ready for toilet training/learning. He wants to wear undies, tells you as he is doing a wee or a poo (can't differentiate between them though), holds his wee now for a while throughout the day/sleep and generally wants to be a big kid.It is also nice and warm now so he can run around pant free.

For nearly a year we have been playing with one of those steps up seats on the toilet where he will sit fully clothed and pretend to go. His toys like to pretend to do this as well. He loves to flush the toilet (isn't afraid of the sound).

So now when I try and get him to actually sit on the toilet or a little potty nude from the waist down he flat out refuses. Doesn't want to at all. He will wear undies or go nude and just wee or poo wherever he is standing. He does get upset when he wees and it goes down his legs or on his feet. He also always manages to stand in his poo when he drops a log on the floor. I don't have any negative reaction and just clean up the mess. I have recently managed to get him to sit on the potty for 2 mins while he eats a cookie but we can't do this all day.

Any tips? Do I just let him keep weeing and pooing on everything until he agrees to sit? Any ideas?

Maybe a sticker chart for when he just sits there even for a second?

Thanks for reading my novel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS never sat down to wee, DH literally showed him how to stand and do it and he did, he was a month over 3, once he worked out how easy that was he then wanted to sit down on the toilet to poo ( just like dad does!) we just had the turtle step up thingy he stood on to get on the toilet ( my nephew was the same - they tried to teach him to wee sitting down but he was scared of falling in the toilet!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My DS never sat down to wee, DH literally showed him how to stand and do it and he did, he was a month over 3, once he worked out how easy that was he then wanted to sit down on the toilet to poo ( just like dad does!) we just had the turtle step up thingy he stood on to get on the toilet ( my nephew was the same - they tried to teach him to wee sitting down but he was scared of falling in the toilet!)
    We did this too. DS1 flat out refused to sit on the toilet until one day DH said "I don't sit on it to pee" and we realised there was no point! First try standing DS1 peed and was so proud of himself and we haven't looked back. With DS2 we just rated doing it this way and he was TT in a couple of days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - I didn't even consider this as an option! When standing there how did you get them to actually wee? He only wees about 4 times a day now so there is a loooooong time in between wees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for the night crowd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is 4 and won't sit on a toilet and is night trained but still poo in nappy. I'm just going with his flow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another tip is to put a ping pong ball with a face on it in the toilet bowl so he has something fun to aim at. It kept my DH amused for ages as well